Any cylindrical shape with thinner wall thickness usually lesser than the 1/10th or 1/15th of the cylinder diameter is termed a thin cylinder. When we solve thin cylinder questions, we have to make some assumptions. Those assumptions are: one, that the stress is uniformly distributed over the wall and two, that the magnitude of radial stress is minimal in thin cylinders. Any thin cylinder that stores any fluid or object experiences three types of stresses: circumferential, longitudinal and radial stress. Thin cylinders study materials and notes for GATE ME form the contributing factor towards your preparation for GATE ME.
Important Thin Cylinders Topics for GATE ME
There are different types of stresses employed on thin cylinders. These stresses are the main thin cylinders topics for GATE ME. These topics form an important part of the thin cylinders GATE questions as well.
This type of stress is tensile and happens along the tangent of the cylinder's circumference.
This stress is also tensile and is directed along the length of the thin cylinder. It increases the length of the thin cylinder.
Tips to Solve Thin Cylinders questions for GATE ME
- Thin cylinders are usually asked in the stress-strain portion of the exam. And hence you need to prepare the stress-strain portion for this.
- You should use different learning sources to prepare for the thin cylinders GATE questions and answers PDF for revisions.
- Practice the thin cylinders online quiz that helps you analyze your preparation strategies.
- Remember that the radial stress is approximated to be zero if no information is given or the same.
Importance of Thin Cylinders in GATE Exam
- Thin cylinders for computer science test your analytical ability to find out the wall diameter and test whether it qualifies to be a thin cylinder or not.
- You simultaneously need to know stress-strain concepts to answer these thin cylinders MCQ questions. Hence, the test also tests your relative preparation for main topics.
- The exam tests your hold on the thin cylinders notes for ME, which is taught in the core engineering classes particularly the mechanical engineering domain.
- It gives relevance to real-life applications, including our LPG cylinder and many more devices.
Most Recommended Books for Thin Cylinders for GATE ME
Here are some recommended books that provide best thin cylinders study material for GATE ME and a source of thin cylinders notes for GATE PDF.
Formulas for Stress and Strain
Warren C. Young
Advanced Strength and Applied Stress Analysis
Richard G Budynas
Stress, Strain and Structural Dynamics
Why prepare Thin Cylinders from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
BYJU'S Exam Prep provides an excellent repository for valuable tutorials and learning materials and that are designed by expert professionals. We cover the full thin cylinders syllabus for GATE with all basics and advanced level questions. Using these tutorials, you can make good thin cylinders GATE notes that can help you in revisions.
BYJU'S Exam Prep also provides an excellent source for revisions with its thin cylinders quiz, thin cylinders MCQ PDF and thin cylinders online test that provides real-time results. The learning repository is crafted by the relevant topic experts and is re-verified with mother experts. BYJU'S Exam Prep is an excellent source of knowledge and practice that is available on the internet.
Q. How do we determine the thin cylinders?
Thin cylinders are compared with the wall's diameter to be eligible for qualifying as a thin cylinder. The wall thickness is very small, and hence the forces behave differently on its surface.
Q.If any liquid is flowing through the thin cylinder, what stress does it experience?
If any liquid flows through the cylinder, the object experiences the fluid's longitudinal and circumferential force.
Q. What is the radial stress in the thin cylinder?
The radial force is assumed to be 0 inside the thin cylinders. The walls are very thin to experience any radial stress.
Q. Give three examples of thin cylinders?
Three examples of thin cylinders are LPG cylinders, storage tanks and boilers.
Q. Can the pressure be varied inside a thin cylinder?
The pressure is limited to a fixed quantity inside the thin cylinders as they cannot take on higher stress than their capacity.