Military or Defence exercise involving two or more nations is a measure to test the performance of the armed forces without engaging in the battlefield. Here is a List of important Military/Defence Exercises in India.
Indian Army Joint Exercises
Some of the important military exercises by Indian Army:
India and Sri Lanka.
India and France armies
Exercise Nomadic Elephant
India and Mongolian
Exercise Yuddh Abhyas
Indian and United States Armies
India and Nepal
India and Seychelles
Indian and Oman
India and UK
Australia and India
India and Kyrgyzstan
India & Sri Lanka
India & Thailand
India & US
India & Indonesia
India & Japan
India and Maldives
Ex Vajra Prahar
India and US
Indian Air Force Joint Exercises
“Indradhanush” or “Rainbow”
India-Russia maiden aerial exercise.
Exercise Red Flag
India and the U.S.
Indian Air Force and Royal Thailand Air Force
India and UAE
Indian Navy Joint Exercises
France and India.
Sri Lanka and India
India and Russia
United States, Japan, and India.
India and Singapore
India, Brazil and South Africa
Indian Navy and Royal Navy of Britain
Indian and Australian Navy Bilateral Maritime Exercise
Joint exercise of Coast Guards of India and Japan
Naseem Al Bahr
India and Oman
India and Indonesia
Indian Army with 17 African nations
SCO members - China, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Pakistan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan
Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, and United States
India, Singapore, Thailand Trilateral
USA, Japan & Australia
India, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Singapore and Thailand.
Western Pacific Naval Symposium
Recent Military exercises
1. 20th India-France Bilateral Naval Exercise ‘VARUNA -2022’ in Arabian Sea
- It was being held from March 30 to 3rd April 2022.
- It is being held since 1993 and the exercise was christened as ‘VARUNA’ in 2001.
2. Maiden IONS Maritime Exercise 2022 (IMEX-22) in Goa and Arabian Sea
- First edition of Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS) Maritime Exercise 2022 (IMEX-22) concluded
- It was being held from March 26 to 30, 2022 in Goa and in Arabian Sea.
- Purpose: to enhance interoperability of navies of member nations in Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) operations.
3. India- Seychelles Joint Military Exercise Lamitiye 2022
- The 9th edition of Lamitiye 2022 has been held at Seychelles Defence Academy, Seychelles.
- It was a 10 days long exercise
- Purpose: enhancing interworking to develop the capability to undertake joint operations in a semi-urban environment.
4. India and Japan joint military exercise "Dharma Guardian 2022" in Karnataka
- India and Japan conducted joint military exercise titled ‘Dharma Guardian 2022’ at Maratha Light Infantry Regimental Centre in Belgaum, Karnataka.
- It was being held from 27th February to 10th March 2022.
- It is participated by 15 Maratha LIRC UNIT and Japan 30 Infantry regiment
- It covers platoon-level joint training on operations in the jungle and semi-urban and urban terrain.
5. Third edition of the India-Uzbekistan joint military exercise ‘EX-DUSTLIK’
- It was being conducted at Yangiarik, Uzbekistan
- Last edition of DUSTLIK was held in Ranikhet, Uttarakhand in March 2021.
- Focus: counter-terrorism operations in semi-urban terrain under a United Nations Mandate.
6. Western naval command conducts offshore security exercise Prasthan
- It was conducted in Mumbai on 23 March 2022.
- The exercise is conducted biannually to ensure offshore security which aims to integrate efforts of all maritime stakeholders involved in offshore defence.
- It is led by the Indian Navy and includes Indian Air Force, Coast Guard, ONGC, Mumbai Port Trust, JLN Port Trust, Customs, State Fisheries Department, Mercantile Marine Department, and the Marine Police.
7. 11th edition of Exercise EKUVERIN-21
- It is being conducted between India and Maldives in Kadhdhoo Island, Maldives.
- Ekuverin means “Friends” in the Dhivehi language (Indo-Aryan language).
- It enhances synergy and inter-operability between Armed Forces of both nations in terms of understanding transnational terrorism both on land and at sea, conducting Counter-Terrorism and Counter-Insurgency Operations
- It was first introduced in 2008
8. PANEX-21 exercise
- It is a Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief Exercise.
- It is to be held for BIMSTEC countries (Bhutan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, India and Thailand).
- Aim: to build regional cooperation in responding to natural disasters.
9. The 37th edition of India-Indonesia Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT)
- It was being held in Indian Ocean region (IOR) from 23rd to 24th November 2021.
- It was conducted for the first time in 2002
- CORPAT is held twice in a year to ensure safety and security.
10. Biennial trilateral exercise ‘Dosti’ underway for IOR stablility
- The 15th edition of biennial trilateral exercise ‘Dosti’ by the coast guard forces of Maldives, India and Sri Lanka took place in Maldives from 20th to 24th November
- ICGS Vajra and ICGS Apoorva, and Sri Lanka Coast Guard’s SLCGS Suraksha participated in the exercise.
- Aim: to strengthen friendship, enhance mutual operational capabilities, interoperability, cooperation
11. India, Singapore, Thailand Trilateral Maritime Exercise SITMEX 21 held
- It was held from 15th to 16th November 2021 in the Andaman Sea.
- It is being hosted by Royal Thai Navy (RTN) to enhance the cooperation between the participating navies towards augmenting the overall maritime security in the region
12. India and France to hold 6th edition Exercise SHAKTI 2021
- It will be conducted from 15th to 26th November 2021 in Frejus, France.
- Focus: Counter Terrorism operations, military cooperation and inter-operability between two Armies.
If you are aiming to crack SBI/IBPS 2022, then join the sure-shot success Batch Online Classroom Program where you will get:
- Live Courses by Top Faculty
- Daily Study Plan
- Comprehensive Study Material
- Latest Pattern Test Series
- Complete Doubt Resolution
- Regular Assessments with Report Card
Why BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series?
- Get better at every level of your preparation with unlimited test series, based on the latest exam pattern.
- Assess areas of weaknesses & track improvements with in-depth performance analysis
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.