LIC AAO Reasoning Section Preparation Strategy
In the reasoning section, a total of 35 questions will be asked. They will be of 1 mark each. You must set a target of scoring 25+ from this section in the LIC AAO Prelim exam 2019. If we look into the exam analysis of previous banking and insurance exams, the Reasoning section consists of questions from topics such as Syllogism, Coding-Decoding, Inequality, Seating Arrangement, Puzzles, Blood Relations, Ranking, Direction Test, Alphanumeric Series, etc.
Prepare all these topics well to score good marks in this section. The reasoning section can be enhanced only with sturdy practice. You should practice all the topics thoroughly. While practicing, you have to keep track of the following things:
- Note down the time taken for attempting a question.
- Identify your strong areas & start practicing high-level questions of those topics.
- Don't forget about weak areas. Make a list of them and create a timetable to study them more effectively.
- Practice reasoning sectional quizzes within a stipulated time (20minutes to start with).
- Keep track of Speed and Accuracy. Both should be in sync.
- Always attempt easy and scoring topics first. Leave the time taking topics to be attempted at the end.
- We have analyzed from the notification that there is no negative marking in the LIC AAO Prelim exam. Nonetheless, make sure that you read the instructions thoroughly before attempting the paper.
Let's have a look at the list of topics which you need to study:
1. Syllogism –In the prelims exam, questions from Syllogism are asked of an easy to moderate level. Generally, 4-5 questions are asked from this topic. You can easily score full marks here.
Tips to solve this type of question in the exam
(i) Read the statement carefully and choose the correct options which satisfy the given conclusion.
(ii) Try to solve questions with Venn diagram which is an easy method to solve syllogism questions.
1. Possibility cases in Syllogism –In possibilities cases, we have to create all possibilities to find whether the given conclusion is possible or not. If it is possible and satisfies the given statement then given conclusion will follow otherwise conclusion will not follow.
2. Restatement is not a conclusion – Conclusion has to be different from the statement. It means if the statement and conclusion are the same then, the conclusion does not follow. This rule also follows in possibilities case
3. Complementary Pairs: (Either & or) – Practice questions having either-or cases.
2. Inequality – It is one of the easy topics in this section.
(i) Questions of inequality are easy to attempt. Try to attempt these questions first.
(ii) Inequality based questions can be direct or indirect, depending on the difficulty level.
3. Coding Decoding –
(i) Questions from Coding-Decoding are expected to be based on sentences, where a set of sentences/words is given along with their codes.
(ii) One needs to identify the correct code for each word and answer accordingly.
4. Seating Arrangement & Puzzles – In Insurance & Banking exams, a major chunk of questions are asked from this topic.
- Questions from these topics consist of the following:
(a) Linear Arrangement (Single/Double Row)
(b) Circular/ Square Arrangement (all facing the same side or some facing inside & some facing outside)
(c) Tabulation/ Scheduling based puzzles
(d) Box, floor-based & arrangement based puzzles
Tips to solve Seating Arrangement (Circular / Linear) questions
- The first step is to take a quick glance on the given information and you will get an idea of the situation of the persons.
- The second step is to pick the useful information which is “definite information” and fix the place accordingly. For e.g. A is sitting second to the left of B.
- Do not pick any negative information in the first step. Negative information means the information which does not tell us anything definite but gives to an idea to eliminate a possibility. For e.g. A is not sitting on the immediate left of B. or B is not opposite of E.
- Left movement is a clockwise rotation.
- Right movement is an anti-clockwise rotation.
1. If two information are joined by “and”, then the information is talking about the first person. For e.g. A is third to the left of B and second to the right of D. Here it means A is sitting third to the left of B and A is sitting second to the right of D. Many students get confused here and take information as "A is sitting third to the left of B and B is sitting second to the right of D", which is wrong.
2. If two information are joined by “who”, then the information given after “who” is talking about the second person. For e.g. A is third to the left of B who is second to the right of D. Here it means A is sitting third to the left of B and B is sitting second to the right of D.
3. Adjacent means next to each other and not opposite to each other. A and B are adjacent to each other, which means they are an immediate neighbor of each other.
5. Series-based Questions (Alphanumeric and Numeric)
- Series based questions are easy to attempt.
- Questions may be based on a combination of symbols and numbers or just alphabets/ numbers.
6. Input- Output
- Here 4-5 statements are given. Each statement is derived from the previous one following some specific pattern, you have to find out that particular pattern.
- Using that pattern you have to find out the given question.
Expected number of questions for LIC AAO exam from various topics of this section are-
- Coded Inequality – 5 questions
- Syllogism – 5 questions
- Coding Decoding – 5 questions
- Puzzle / Seating Arrangement – 15 to 20 questions
- Miscellaneous - 5 questions
- Input Output - 5 questions
- Data Sufficiency - 5 questions
7. Miscellaneous Questions - Apart from above-mentioned topics, the questions may be asked from Ranking based topics, Blood relations, Distance and direction, Alphabets based coding, data sufficiency, etc.
You can practice Quizzes on different topics from the link given here: Reasoning Ability Quiz
Do not forget to practice every day to boost your preparation. To help you with that, we bring to you SBI PRO Course 2019: a completely shock-proof course to crack SBI PO 2019 & LIC AAO 2019. Get a comprehensive course with a 100-day study plan that will cover the entire syllabus. For further inquiries, call on 9650052904 or follow the link below.
Study Notes on all Topics
|4||New patterns of Coding Decoding|
|5||Basics of Inequality|
|11||Basics of Puzzles|
|12||Ranks of Alphabets|
The Most Comprehensive Exam Prep App
Commentswrite a comment