Lata Mangeshkar was a legendary Indian singer. With her melodious and soulful hits, she ruled the heart of millions of Indians. In her memory, government has announced two-day national mourning.
Let's look at the Life of Lata Mangeshkar:
- Born: 28 September 1929 in Maharashtrian Brahmin family.
- Father: Deenanath Mangeshkar (Marathi and Konkani musician)
- Mother: Shevanti.
- She was named "Hema" at her birth.
- She received first music lesson from her father.
- At the age of 5 years, she started to work as an actress in her father's musical plays (Sangeet Natak in Marathi).
- She moved to Mumbai in 1945 and started taking lessons in Hindustani classical music from Ustad Aman Ali Khan of Bhindibazaar Gharana.
Legacy of ‘Queen of Melody’
- Career span of Lata ji to Indian music industry was of around seven decades.
- She sang around 50,000 songs in 36 Indian and few foreign languages.
- She was honoured with titles like Nightingale of India, Voice of the Millennium and Queen of Melody
- First Song of her career: “Naachu Yaa Gade, Khelu Saari Mani Haus Bhaari” in 1942 for a Marathi movie ‘Kiti Hasaal’.
- First Hindi song: "Mata Ek Sapoot Ki Duniya Badal De Tu" for Marathi film Gajaabhaau (1943)
- First Hindi Film playback song: "Paa Lagoon Kar Jori" for Vasant Joglekar's Aap Ki Seva Mein (1946)
- First major break: "Dil Mera Toda, Mujhe Kahin Ka Na Chhora” of the movie Majboor (1948), which became her first big breakthrough film hit.
- Sri Lankan song: "Sri Lanka, Ma Priyadara Jaya Bhumi", a song in Sinhala, for 1955 Sri Lankan film Seda Sulang.
- She made her debut in Tamil playback singing with Vanaradham in 1956 with Tamil song "Enthan Kannalan" for Nimmi in the dubbed version composed by Naushad
- She sung ‘MoheBhool Gaye Sawariya’ based on Raga Bhairav from 1952 film BaijuBawra.
- She sung western theme song ‘Ajeeb Dastan Hain Yeh’ from Dil Apna aur Preet Parayi (1960) as well as Bhajan like Allah Tero Naam for ‘Hum Dono’ movie in 1961.
- She was the playback voice from Vaijayantimala till modern day Bollywood actress.
- Famous Songs: Aye Mere Watan Ke Logon, Dafli Wale, Pyar Kiya Toh Darna Kya, Dil To Pagal Hai, Luka Chupi, Ma Tujhe Salam, Ayega Anewala, Ajeeb Dastan Hain Yeh, etc
- Last voice record: She had recited verse from Bhagavad Gita during an Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav Committee, which was the last recorded message of the legendary singer.
Honours and Awards
Lata Mangeshkar’s melody is one that will always remain in the memory of every Indian. She won the following honours and awards:
- Padma Bhushan (1969)
- Padma Vibhushan (1999)
- Zee Cine Award for Lifetime Achievements (1999)
- Dadasaheb Phalke Award (1989)
- Maharashtra Bhushan Award (1997)
- Bharat Ratna (2001),
- Legion of Honour (2007),
- ANR National Award (2009)
- Three National Film Awards and 15 Bengal Film Journalists' Association Awards.
- Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award in 1993 and Filmfare Special Awards in 1994 and 2004.
- Title of Officer of the French Legion of Honour in 2009
- In 1984, Madhya Pradesh instituted ‘Lata Mangeshkar Award in her honour.
Lata Mangeshkar composed music for the first time in 1955 for Marathi movie titled 'Ram Ram Pavhane'.
She also composed music for following Marathi movies under Anand Ghan:
- Ram Ram Pavhana in 1960
- Maratha Tituka Melvava in 1963
- Mohityanchi Manjula in 1963
- Sadhi Manase in 1965
- Tambadi Mati in 1969
Lata Mangeshkar has produced 4 films:
- Vaadal (Marathi) in 1953
- Jhaanjhar (Hindi), co-produced with C. Ramchandra in 1953
- Kanchan Ganga (Hindi) in 1955
- Lekin.. (Hindi) in 1990
Lesser-Known Facts about Lata Mangeshkar
- Her first song, 'Naachu Yaa Gade, Khelu Saari Mani Haus Bhaari' was removed from the film’s final cut.
- She was the first Indian artist ever to perform live at London’s iconic Royal Albert Hall in 1974.
- Guinness Book of records: The Guinness Book of Records listed Mangeshkar as the most recorded artist in the world in 1991 with not less than "30,000 solo, duet and chorus-backed songs" recorded in 20 Indian languages between 1948 and 1987. The record, however, was removed in 1991 by without any explanation.
- In her whole career, she has never worked with music director OP Nayar.
- She served as the MP (Member of Parliament) from 1999 to 2005.
- She had been nominated to Rajya Sabha (Upper House) in 1999.
- Lata Mangeshkar recorded her last song ‘Saugandh Mujhe Is Mitti Ki’, as a tribute to the Indian Army and nation in 2019.
If you are aiming to crack SBI PO 2022, then join the Online Classroom Program where you will get:
- Live Courses by Top Faculty
- Daily Study Plan
- Comprehensive Study Material
- Latest Pattern Test Series
- Complete Doubt Resolution
- Regular Assessments with Report Card
Why BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series?
- Get better at every level of your preparation with unlimited test series, based on the latest exam pattern.
- Assess areas of weaknesses & track improvements with in-depth performance analysis
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.