Proper Understanding of Exam Pattern -
IBPS SO Prelims Exam is going to be conducted for six different posts. A candidate must have filled form for one post only. It is of utmost importance to have a clear understanding of the pattern of the exam for your desirable post. Check out the exam pattern for various posts of the IBPS SO Prelims exam below.
1) Exam Pattern is the same for the posts of IT Officer, HR Officer, Marketing Officer, and Agricultural Field Officer which is depicted as below. There is no test of General Awareness for these posts.
Name of test
No. of Questions
2) For the posts of Rajbhasha Adhikari and Law Officer, Exam Pattern is similar, which is as below -
Name of test
No. of Questions
General Awareness with Special Reference to Banking
For all the posts, Candidates have to qualify for sectional cutoff as well as the overall cutoff to get entry into the next stage i.e. Mains Examination.
Start with your Strongest Section
- Many Students often ask a question regarding the proper sequence of sections in the Exam. You need not be puzzled by this.
- Ideally, for scoring good marks, you should always start your exam with your strongest section.
- Start your exam with the section in which you have maximum proficiency. Try to attempt maximum questions in this section itself.
- This may build up your confidence and that momentum will motivate you immensely for the sections to come.
- If you start your exam which scares you the most and in which you feel difficulty, you may lose your confidence for the rest of your exam as a proverb says "Nothing holds us back, but our thoughts"
Wise Selection of Questions
- After the selection of sections, a wise selection of questions is very important for scoring well in IBPS SO Prelims Exam.
- A similar theory applies to the selection of questions also. Pick and attempt those topics/questions first which seems easier and less time-consuming to you.
- In the exam, you should never challenge yourself for tougher and time taking questions. Remember that exam is all about Smart Pick of questions.
- If you get stuck at any question, then do not waste time in solving it anyhow. Leave it immediately and move on to the next question.
- If time allows, then come back to the questions which you have left.
You should try full-length mock tests in the BYJU'S Exam Prep IBPS SO test series.
3 Key Pillars for a Good Score
- Speed, Time-Management, and Accuracy are the three key pillars that lead to success in the examination.
- For good speed, proper practice is required before exams. Also, be well aware of the short-tracks of every topic.
- Since the start of your exam, maintain a proper speed. It is highly essential to attempt a good number of questions keeping in mind the rising level of exams.
- There is no section-division of time in the IBPS SO Prelims Exam. If you do not pay heed to manage time properly, you may miss the sectional cutoff.
- Make up your mind to attempt every question in the particular time frame and be stick to this time frame throughout the exam.
- Accuracy can make and break your chances of selection in the exam. So do not compromise with accuracy to increase your attempts.
- Do not apply for guesswork especially in General Awareness, Reasoning, and Quantitative Aptitude sections.
- Keep in mind negative marking of 0.25 marks for every wrong answer marked if you do not want to put at stake your correct questions also.
Keep a track of time properly -
- As said above, proper time management is very important to score well in the exam.
- Devise a proper test-taking strategy for each section beforehand so that you can utilize the 40 minutes time limit efficiently.
- While attempting the question, keep track of the timer attentively.
- Attempt the section in a way that can fetch you maximum marks in 40 minutes. To solve easy questions first and do not challenge yourself for very difficult questions.
Reasoning Ability Keypoints -
- With the introduction of more puzzles and seating arrangement questions, this section tends to scare the candidates.
- First, attempt the questions from topics of Inequality, syllogism, Alphanumeric series, blood relation, direction, order, and ranking.
- Read the instructions very carefully in this section, especially in questions of Syllogism, Inequality, Direction.
- Then move on to the puzzles and seating arrangement question. Choose wisely those questions of Puzzles/Seating arrangement which takes relatively less time.
- Pick up the questions of Puzzles and seating arrangement which are having fewer parameters. Spend a maximum of 5-6 minutes on a puzzle/Seating arrangement question.
English Language Keypoints :
- Revise grammar rules, vocabulary and solve exercises of Spotting errors, Reading Comprehension, Cloze test, fillers, and Sentence Improvement.
- Practice the memory-based papers available to get an idea of all the new pattern questions introduced recently.
- In the exam, use the elimination method in questions of this section. Eliminate the wrong or impossible options one by one to reach the correct one.
- Do not leave reading comprehension questions, but attempt it with a proper check of time. First, solve the vocab-based questions, then the questions in which you can find the answer in less time. Leave the tricky questions of RC.
- Attempt the conventional questions at first and like cloze test, RC, para jumbles. When you are done with it then understand carefully through instructions what is asked in new pattern questions.
Quantitative Aptitude Key Points:
- Understand and revise the concepts of important chapters, which are DI, Number series, Simplification, approximation, Quadratic equation, Percentage, average, ratio and proportion, profit and loss, partnership, time, and work.
- At first, attempt the questions from the Number series, Quadratic equation topics, Simplification/approximation. These topics come in a set of minimum 5 questions.
- Then go to the questions of DI, Quantity based and Data Sufficiency topics. Leave the very calculative and time taking questions of DI.
- Miscellaneous questions account for 5 -15 questions in the Exam, so do not leave arithmetic problems completely. Instead, pick the questions in which you are comfortable and which seem less time-consuming.
General Awareness Key Points :
As mentioned earlier, 50 questions will be asked in this section, with emphasis on questions from Banking Awareness.
- The International and National happenings of the last 4-5 months should sufficiently cover most of the questions that might be asked in this section.
- Try to go through the following topics -
RBI in News
National and International News
Awards and Honours
Static GK Topics like Countries in News with their capitals and currency
- Avoid guesswork in the General Awareness section.
Do's and Dont's in IBPS SO Prelims Exam :
- Dedicate proper time in solving Mock Tests in the meantime. Mock tests are the best way to devise your Prelims Exam strategy and give you an upper hand in the exam.
- Avoid picking up any new chapter now.
- Do not get frustrated if you find a completely new pattern question. Try to understand it by reading its instructions properly and solving accordingly. If you are not able to solve then do not waste your time on it.
- For every question, read and understand the instructions very well. Solve only what is asked.
- Before your D-day, get proper sleep to be attentive during the exam.
- Must take your admit card along with a photograph (same as that on the admit card), original ID proof, and one xerox copy of this id proof.
Last, but not least remember these 4 lines while going for the exam,
Stress, tension, and anxiety, Are not going to get you anywhere,
If you let your fears overpower you, failure is at what you’ll stare.
Life isn’t about finding excuses, It’s about finding ways to move on,
Stop blaming situations and problems, Take charge of your life, usher in a new dawn