What is the LAN Full Form in Computer?
In computer networking, LANs are used to connect and communicate information among various devices like mobiles, computers, tablets, printers, etc. The range of a LAN network can be a floor of the office, a room, an organization having one or two buildings on the same premises, a laboratory, a school, and a college. The connectivity of these devices is done by means of wires, ethernet cables, fibre optics, or Wi-Fi.
LANs are a secured network for users as only the authentic users in the network can access other nodes or shared resources. LAN (LAN Full Form: Local Area Network) can be extended up to 1 km. The data transmission in LAN is at high speed of 10Mbps(Megabits per second) to 1000 Mbps.
Characteristics of LAN
Among the other types of networks, LAN (LAN Full Form: Local Area Network) is the choice of the majority of users because of the following characteristics it holds:
- It transmits data at a very high rate which increases the efficiency of the overall transmission.
- It supports transmission mechanisms like optic fibre, ethernet cable, WI-FI, etc.
- It is not costly as compared to other types of networks.
- It provides privacy, so no outside network or organization can temper data.
Advantages of LAN
With the invention of LANs (LAN Full Form: Local Area Network) in 1970, the networking world witnessed a revolution in data transmission. The following advantages were the reason for this revolutionary invention:
- Data security is ensured as data is collected on the server computer only.
- Hardware cost is reduced by the introduction of LANs.
- A single point of the internet can be used by various devices connected through LAN (LAN Full Form: Local Area Network).
- Enhances the communication between the devices linked through LAN networks.
Disadvantages of LAN
Just like a coin has two sides, a head and a tail, in a similar manner, everything comes with its pros and cons attached with it. Having discussed the advantages of LAN Full Form: Local Area Network, how can we not see its disadvantages. Following are the disadvantages of LAN:
- The initial setup of LAN is costly in comparison to other network types.
- Some of the communication tools in LAN networks, like switches, hubs, routers, etc., are expensive.
- LANs are limited in size.
- Since data is stored in a server computer, so there is a threat to security
If you are preparing for ESE/ GATE or other PSU Exams, then avail Online Classroom Program for ESE and GATE:
Attempt online mock tests of ESE & GATE 2023 at BYJU'S Exam Prep to improve the exam score in all disciplines.