The fourth edition of Quad Leader’s summit has been concluded in Tokyo on 24th May 2022. This was the second in-person summit of Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (Quad).
- Prime Minister of Australia Anthony Albanese
- President of USA, Joe Biden
- Prime Minister of Japan, Fumio Kishida
- Prime Minister Narendra of India, Narendra Modi
Key Highlights of Quad Leaders’ Summit 2022
Here are few highlights of Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (Quad) Leaders' Summit 2022:
- The summit announced the formation of Indo-Pacific Partnership for Maritime Domain Awareness (IPMDA).
- It will facilitate faster, wider, and more accurate maritime picture of near-real-time activities in partners’ waters
- It will allow tracking of dark shipping and tactical-level activities like rendezvous at sea.
- The summit paved the way for sharing of data as a part of “Quad Satellite Data Portal” that would enhance cooperation among the member countries satellites.
- It also welcomed the progress made for Johnson & Johnson vaccine production at Biological E labs in India under the Quad Vaccine Partnership.
- Russia-Ukraine war was also a major discussion area of the summit.
- During the summit, Quad fellowship was launched to bring 100 students from Quad countries to the US each year to pursue graduate degrees in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) fields.
Quad Leaders' Summit Initiative in detail
Maritime Domain Awareness and HADR
- Quad members came up with maritime domain awareness initiative titled as “Indo-Pacific Partnership for Maritime Domain Awareness (IPMDA)”.
- It is designed to work with regional partners to respond to humanitarian and natural disasters and combat illegal fishing.
- It will support and work in consultation with Indo-Pacific nations and regional information fusion centers in Indian Ocean, South-east Asia, and Pacific Islands
- It will provide technology and training support to promote stability and prosperity in our seas and oceans.
- Announcement to establish "Quad Partnership on Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) in the Indo-Pacific" has also been made.
Space related activities
- Every Quad partner will endeavor to improve public access to Earth observation satellite data and its applications.
- Earth observation-based monitoring and sustainable development framework will be established in near future.
- "Quad Satellite Data Portal" will be launched for sharing information related to Climate Change Monitoring, Disaster Response and Preparedness, Sustainable Uses of Oceans and Marine Resources, etc.
- Quad Fellowship has been officially launched that will bring 100 students from our countries to the United States each year to pursue graduate degrees in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) fields.
- It is administered by Schmidt Futures.
- First session of Quad Fellows will begin their studies in the third quarter of 2023.
- Quad nations have signed MoU on 5G Supplier Diversification and Open RAN to enhance the prosperity and security of the region.
- For deepening engagement with industry, Open RAN Track 1.5 events, and new ways to collaborate on the deployment of open and secure telecommunications technologies will be developed in the region.
- Common Statement of Principles on Critical Technology Supply Chains launched during summit will lead to advancement of semiconductors and other critical technologies
- Quad partners will coordinate capacity building programs in Indo-Pacific region under the Quad Cybersecurity Partnership
- It will initiate first-ever Quad Cybersecurity Day to help individual internet users across our nations, the Indo-Pacific region, and beyond to better protect themselves from cyber threats.
What is Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (Quad)?
- It is the informal strategic dialogue between India, United States of America, Japan and Australia.
- Quad nations share a common objective to ensure and support “free, open and prosperous” Indo-Pacific region.
- The idea to form QUAD was initiated in 2007 by Japanese PM Shinzo Abe, with the support of Australian PM John Howard, Indian PM Manmohan Singh, and U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney.
- But it couldn’t move ahead with Australia pulling out of it.
- Again, in November 2017, India, US, Australia, and Japan came together to give a shape to “Quad” Coalition.
Objective of QUAD Group
- Maritime security
- Combating the Covid-19 crisis, especially vaccine diplomacy
- Addressing the risks of climate change
- Creating investment ecosystem in the region
- Boosting technological innovation.
Quad members have also showed willingness to expand partnership through a so-called Quad Plus that includes nations like South Korea, New Zealand, and Vietnam amongst others.
If you are aiming to crack SBI/IBPS exam 2022, then join the Online Classroom Program where you will get:
- Live Courses by Top Faculty
- Daily Study Plan
- Comprehensive Study Material
- Latest Pattern Test Series
- Complete Doubt Resolution
- Regular Assessments with Report Card
Click here to access Test Series
Why BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series?
- Get better at every level of your preparation with unlimited test series, based on the latest exam pattern.
- Assess areas of weaknesses & track improvements with in-depth performance analysis
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.
Commentswrite a comment