What is IRS Officer?
IRS officer full form is Indian Revenue Service officer who is responsible for planning and implementing the policies on tax and revenue generation for the country. The primary responsibility of IRS officers is to levy and collect taxes and book all those who are accused of tax violations. Learn more about the IRS officer profile by reading the information in the sections below.
IRS Officer Roles and Responsibilities
If you are preparing to clear the IRS exam, you must be familiar with the roles and responsibilities associated with the IRS officer profile. Following are the roles and responsibilities of an IRS officer:
- Tax Administration: An important role of an IRS officer is to levy and collect taxes. It includes proper maintenance of records of the collection of revenue, ensuring that the tax violators must be punished on appropriate terms, etc.
- Formulation of Policies: IRS officers are involved in forming policies and implementing changes in the existing policies on taxes in collaboration with the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
- Curbing Black Money: Including negotiations on international agreements with other tax jurisdictions that might lead to an increase in the black money accumulation by the citizens.
IRS Officer Uniform
The IRS officers (C&CE) are required to wear a prescribed uniform up to the rank of Deputy Commissioner. It means there is no prescribed uniform for officers holding higher ranks. Some other details on the IRS officer uniform are given below:
- No uniform for IRS-IT
- For IRS in Central Excise, the khaki uniform with stars on the shoulders and I.R.S. tag as shoulder plate same as IPS.
- For those in Customs: White uniform with black and golden strips on the shoulder like Indian Navy.
IRS Officer Facilities
Apart from the basic IRS officer salary which ranges from Rs. 15,600 to Rs. 39,100, there are various other facilities available to them.
- IRS Officer House: A well-maintained accommodation is provided to them by the Central Government.
- Travel allowances, Dearness Allowance, City Compensatory Allowance, Automobiles, etc are provided to them.
- A car with a driver.
However, these services are associated with the ranks of the officers. For many newly created posts, some of these facilities might not be available in the beginning.
IRS Officer Training
After the final selection was done through the UPSC exam, IRS officers training is initiated at the National Academy of Direct Taxes (NADT) at Nagpur. There is a four-month foundation course after which IRS officers get extensive 16 months of training in specially designed modules on accounting, taxation and allied laws, fiscal policy, office procedures, public finances, and so on. During the training period, they are also sent to various field offices and organisations all over India and abroad to give global exposure to the best taxation practices worldwide.