BITSAT 2019 will be conducted in the month of May. However, if you are targeting a seat in BITS Pilani, Goa or Hyderabad, all of which are very reputed and highly ranked engineering colleges of the country, you need to start preparing for it early on. The topics listed below are on the basis of their importance and analysis done from previous year's BITSAT papers. Analysis of previous year's papers reveals that although the total number of questions asked in the examination topic-wise, varies year to year; the importance of 3 sections (Physical, Inorganic, and Organic) are almost the same every year.
BITSAT 2019 - Expected Section Wise Break-up and Weightage of Chemistry
BITSAT 2019 - Important Topics of Physical Chemistry
Mole Concept and Stoichiometry
Basic Laws, Questions on empirical Formula, stoichiometry and mole concept
Hydrogen spectrum, Bohr Model for H and H-like species, Basics of Quantum Model, Quantum numbers, filling of electrons
States of Matter
Gas laws, Kinetic energy of gas molecules, Real gases and value of Z
Thermodynamics & Thermochemistry
First law and work done, Enthalpy of reactions, Hess’s law, Gibb’s free energy
Equilibrium constant and le-chatelier’s principle, pH of Acids, Bases, Hydrolysis of salts and buffer solutions, Solubility constant of sparingly soluble salts
Solid State and Solutions
Various types of unit cells and questions based on cell dimensions and geometry, Voids, Defects and effect on properties, Vapour pressure, Van’t hoff factor, and colligative properties
Redox and Electrochemistry
Oxidation number, Oxidising and reducing the strength of species, Nernst equation, Faraday’s laws, Conductivity of electrolytes
Factors affecting rate and rate constant, Arrhenius equation, half life
Chemi and physi-sorption, Colloids and it’s properties
Being one of the important section among three, a great deal of questions are picked from the different sub-topics of Physical Chemistry. Its weightage is around 37 percent and therefore every chapter of this unit needs to be studied religiously. Being mostly mathematical, this section shows great results in less time.
- From mole concept, one basic question or no question will be present in the question paper while Gas laws and trends in periodic tables are considered important for BITSAT.
- Question may come from the topic of Solid states; from crystal structure or from defects. One question from Bohr's Model or Quantum model is believed to be present in the question paper.
- One question from redox - involving oxidation states is expected for the examination. One question from Faraday's law and another one related to cell may be asked in the paper from the topic of Electrochemistry. Nernst equation and Electrode Potential are considered important for BITSAT.
- Laws of Thermodynamics (2nd), Hess's Law, concepts related to Enthalpy and Gibb's Free energy are important for BITSAT. Work and Internal energy problems are also important for the examination.
- For the topic of Equilibrium, equilibrium constant and factors affecting it are important. Significance of Gibb's Free Energy is also important and other factors affecting equilibrium as well.
- Chemical Kinetics- Rate and Rate constant (its dependence on concentration and catalyst, Arrhenius Equation, First order and Pseudo First order are important from the topic and there may be at least 2 questions from Chemical Kinetics. Other important sub-topics are colloids, emulsion and Tyndall Effect.
BITSAT 2019 - Important Topics of Inorganic Chemistry
Chemical Bonding and Classification of Elements
Fajan’s rule, Hybridisation, Overlap of atomic orbitals, Atomic and ionic radii, Bond order
Hydrogen and S block Elements
Reactions of dihydrogen, peroxide, alkali metals and alkaline earth metals; Properties of sulphates, carbonates and hydroxides, Hardness of water and processes of water softening
P Block Elements
Reactions of B, Si, N, P, S, halides; Noble gases
D and F Block Elements
Reactions of KMnO4, Trends and exceptions in the properties
|Coordination Compounds||Werner’s theory, Magnetic properties and structure based on VBT and CFT, Colors of various compounds|
|Extraction and Practical Chemistry||Names of various ores and minerals, reactions of analysis of Metal ions|
This part covers a little over 25 percent of the total questions asked in the BITSAT in Chemistry. The understanding from analysis of the papers is that the pattern here is similar as Physical Chemistry and questions from this section is irregularly distributed over sub-topics. This distribution keeps on changing year to year. However, below are the few important topics from this section.
- One question from Bond order or hybridization is expected in papers. Molecular orbital theory, Lewis and resonance structures are also important for BITSAT.
- Hydrogen and its oxides; reactions of compounds of Hydrogen,Reactions of dihydrogen, peroxide, alkali metals and alkaline earth metals; Properties of sulphates, carbonates and hydroxides, Hardness of water and processes of water softening- are important from S-Block elements
- Reactions of B, Si, N, P, S, halides must be studied carefully to score well in this sub-section. Noble gases and their properties are also considered important for BITSAT.
- From D and F-Block elements, Reactions of KMnO4; Trends and exceptions in the properties are relevant for the examination.
- For the section of Metallurgy, following topics are important- names of various ores and minerals, reactions of analysis of Metal ions
- One problem related to Valence Bond Theory (VBT) or color may be asked in the examination. Werner’s theory, Magnetic properties and structure based on VBT and CFT, Colors of various compounds
BITSAT 2019 - Important Topics of Organic Chemistry
Nomenclature and Isomerism, Stability of various species, acidic/basic strength
Hydrocarbons and Halides
Reactions of Alkenes, halides, grignard reagents, benzene, aromaticity, conformations
Oxygen Containing Compounds
Reactions and distinguishing tests of Alcohols, phenols, carboxylic acids and their derivatives, Nucleophilic addition, aldol and cannizzaro reactions
Nitrogen Containing Compounds
Amines and diazonium salts
Biomolecules and Polymers
Glucose, disaccharides, structure of proteins, enzymes, vitamins, nucleic acids, monomers of all commercial polymers, rubber, various polymerization reactions
Environmental and Everyday Chemistry
Pollutants of Atmosphere and drinking water, drugs, soaps and detergents
Organic Chemistry is equally important as Physical Chemistry. As almost all of the organic chemistry is important, questions can be expected from any of the following topics. However, it is advised to systemically approach the syllabus of Organic Chemistry. Following topics are important:
- General Organic Chemistry topic: Nomenclature and Isomerism, Stability of various species, acidic/basic strength.
- For Hydrocarbon and Halides, Reactions of Alkenes, halides, grignard reagents, benzene, aromaticity and conformations are important topics for BITSAT.
- In groups, Reactions and distinguishing tests of Alcohols, phenols, carboxylic acids and their derivatives, Nucleophilic addition, aldol and cannizzaro reactions are considered important for the BITSAT.
- Titles related to Amines and diazonium salts are expected for the examination.
- In Biomolecules and Polymers, Glucose, disaccharides, structure of proteins, enzymes, vitamins, nucleic acids, monomers of all commercial polymers, rubber and various polymerization reactions are considered important from the examination point of view.
- From the topic of Environment and Everyday Chemistry, following topics are considered important: Pollutants of Atmosphere and drinking water, drugs, soaps and detergents.
BITSAT 2019 - Important Books for Chemistry
- NCERT Chemistry Part I and II Class 12th
Physical Chemistry by P. Bahadur
- Inorganic Chemistry by O. P. Tandon
Note: Solve the entire previous year BITSAT questions and attempt at least 6-7 full-length mock test before the exam.
All the best!!