If you have enrolled for SBI Clerk prelims 2021 then you have got to work very hard to crack all three levels. Right now, you first need to focus on your prelims as this is the first ladder of your success. The paper comprises 100 multiple choice questions divided into 3 different sections and you need to attempt these questions in one hour.
One wrong answer choice leads to negative marking. So you have to be quick and accurate simultaneously. The key to scoring maximum marks is working on each module in depth. Someone rightly said practice makes a man perfect. So practice as many mock test papers as you can.
We have accumulated some reasoning ability topics so that you can attempt questions fast in the SBI Clerk exam.
Topics & Questions for Reasoning Ability SBI Clerk Exam
The topics covered under reasoning ability are syllogism, coding-decoding, ranking and order puzzles, and so on. Here is a table showing you the topics and the questions each topic carries.
No. of topics
Puzzles and seating arrangement
Order and ranking
General Tips for SBI Clerk Prelims 2021 Reasoning Ability
The reasoning ability section holds the maximum marks weightage along with the numerical ability (35 questions, each of 1 mark). So you have to attempt 25-30 questions correctly to score maximum marks.
- As this section holds maximum marks weightage, you need to give a deep focus to this section. Collect previous exam sample papers and practice them every day.
- Take the help of video tutorials one week before your exam date to see whether all the topics are covered or not.
- The most important thing to consider is time management. Practice mock test papers daily and set time for each module. Try to complete the questions in the given time frame.
- Avoid guesses. Solve the ones you feel confident about.
- Don’t ever start the reasoning section with puzzle type and seating arrangement questions. Doing this can consume the whole time and you won’t be able to attempt other easy questions.
- Just give a quick glance at all the questions before starting and solve the ones you think that won’t waste your time.
- You need to be accurate and quick while solving these questions as one wrong answer deducts 0.25 marks.
All set to rock your exam day? These tips will help you to perform your reasoning section carefully. Prepare yourself well before the exam. Don't overburden yourself that may affect your performance.
Suggested Read: How to Prepare Reasoning for SBI Clerk 2021 Prelims (Topic-wise)
Topic-wise Reasoning Ability Tips to Score High Marks
In order to excel in the logical reasoning section, you will have to practice a number of questions in less time. If prepared well enough, this section can fetch you a good score. Let us take a look at some important reasoning ability topics for SBI clerk prelims-
Initially, puzzle-solving seems difficult for most of us, but once we get them right they are the easiest ones to solve.
- When solving puzzles, always start with the information that is given clearly not with the possibility one as this will lead to more confusion. At last, you won’t be able to derive a result.
- These questions are somewhat similar to seating arrangements topics. Gather all the possibilities in such situations and then solve them. Initially, you won't get them at once but with practice, you'll get the technique of solving them.
Inequality is another important chapter that falls under the concept of reasoning ability. It covers mathematical equations followed by different conclusions. You will have to select the right conclusion to solve the question.
- Keep in mind the general rules of inequality. The basic knowledge of elementary mathematics is of great use as this will help you score well in this section.
- You’ll find 5 questions from this topic in the paper. Out of the 5, 3 are easy to solve. Try to identify the easy ones and solve them. Also, leave the difficult ones if you are not able to solve them within time.
- Since these questions are a little confusing, try to note down the possible connections from the statements provided before jumping onto the right answer.
3. Seating arrangements
There are mainly two types of questions that are linear and circular seating arrangements. In such questions, start with the information that seems clear as per your understanding and take it as a base and use the possible information to find the right answer.
While practicing, never ever start with negative information. For instance, Y is not standing to the right of Z or X is the immediate right of V as this won’t help you and will leave you with no clue.
People often get confused while deciding left or right positions solving circular seating arrangements. Make it easy by keeping yourself in that situation and you can determine the left and right easily using this technique.
When starting the reasoning section, skip the seating arrangements questions at first because they are time-consuming and time is what you have to save.
Syllogism is one of the trickier topics of reasoning these days. The question consists of 2-3 statements and 4-5 conclusions.
- Syllogism questions can be solved using Venn diagrams as it's the simplest way of solving them. You also need to understand the statements properly to picture them.
- The statement and conclusion cannot be the same. If both appear to be the same, that result will not follow from the given statements. Keep these things in your mind. It’ll help you save your time.
In coding-decoding, the questions consist of sentences and codes. The code is given along with each sentence. The questions are easy and fun to solve.
Coding questions with numbers are easy as compared to the questions with the sentence. Read the given sentences carefully to find the code of the word.
In this case, look for the sentences that hold the common word so that you can figure out which is the required code.
6. Ranking and order
These are quite easy and direct questions. Like any other topic, this topic also demands practice. Practice as much as you can. This will help you solve them fast on your exam day.
7. Blood relations
There is no denying the fact that these questions are pretty interesting to solve. To solve the blood relation question, one must know about all the family relations.
For your better understanding, you can draw the family tree based on the statements. Once you are aware of the family relations, the next step is to draw a family tree. With consistent practice, you find them easy to solve.
Series questions are based on numerical sequences and are always asked in banking examinations. You have to find the logic in the given series. Some questions are easy to do. On the other hand, some are a bit tricky to solve.
Practice different types of series questions to understand the logic behind them. And if you don’t get these questions in exams, then don’t mess up with your mind.
9. Data sufficiency
Data sufficiency isn’t a new area. These questions are based on topics that we have already discussed above. For instance coding-decoding, ranking, seating arrangement, puzzle, etc.
Questions of data sufficiency require more time to solve as you need to see whether the data provided is sufficient or not. And you don’t have to find the correct answer.
In SBI Clerk Prelims, 3-5 questions will be given to you from this area. And drop the idea of guesswork to solve data sufficiency questions.
Read the questions very carefully and use the tricks to solve such questions. This won’t consume much time.
At last, what matters is your hard work, consistent practice, and determination. We all dream and work on our goals to achieve them. If you want to make it to SBI clerk prelims 2021 then you need to work on each and every topic. We all know this is not everyone's cup of tea.
Along with the preparation, take care of your health. Eat healthy diets and take rest at regular intervals. This is because your mind should be fresh every time. Now nothing can stop you from achieving your dreams.
If you are preparing for the upcoming banking exams, we recommend you try BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series and get access to a number of mock tests. Click on the link below for more details.
Sahi Prep Hai To Life Set Hai!