In this article, we have discussed some important words with the uses of the preposition. Kindly read it carefully as questions are directly asked based on these in English Grammar Section (Sentence Improvement, Error Spotting & Fill in the blanks).
You have to remember the uses of the preposition with these words as it has mentioned below.
(1) Attack: After “attack” word no preposition is used.
attack + on/upon/at + somebody/something + with + something
Rahul attacked him. (Not: on him/upon him/ at him)
Rahul attacked him with a dagger.
Russia attacked Pakistan. (Not: on Pakistan/ upon Pakistan/ at Pakistan).
(2) Describe: Generally, we always use ‘about’ after ‘describe’ but this is not grammatically correct. So, questions are asked in error spotting based on the same rule.
describe + about + something + to/for + somebody
I would like to describe my preparation strategy.
I described the incident to Mukul.
(3) Discuss: Similarly, in the case of ‘discuss’ we also use ‘about’ which is not grammatically correct.
discuss + about + something + with + somebody
I will discuss this question with Atul. (Not: 'discuss about' this question)
(4) Explain: Do not use ‘about’ and ‘of’ with ‘explain’.
explain + of/about + something + to + somebody
I have explained my problem to my senior.
(5) Marry + with /to + somebody
My friend married to a doctor.
Navneet married to Juhi.
(6) order + to + somebody + to do something
I ordered my driver to turn right.
(7) order + for + something
I ordered one pizza. (Not: ordered for one pizza)
(8) reach + to + a place
I have reached the destination.
(9) ridicule + at/an/about + somebody/something
His classmates ridiculed him.
(10) ‘Resemble’ means have a similar appearance to or qualities in common with. No preposition is used with it.
resemble + to/with + somebody/something
He resembles his father.
(11) write + to + somebody + a letter
Navneet wrote me a letter.
Or Write + to + somebody + a letter
Navneet writes to me every week.
(12) Listen + to + somebody/something
Ex: Please, listen
Or, Listen + to + somebody/ something
He does not listen to me.
(13) approach + to + someplace + something
I will approach him.
The bus is approaching Delhi. (Not: approaching to Delhi)
(14) propose / report / say / suggest + to + somebody
He suggested to Puneet to study well.
He proposed to Rahul that he should improve his score.
(15) advise / beg / ask / encourage / invite / tell + to + somebody + to do something
She asked him to leave her house.
He advised her not to resign.
(16) bring / give / sell / send / show + to + somebody + something
He gave her a rose.
Geeta showed Seeta her new dress.
or bring / give / sell / send / show + something + to + somebody
He gave a rose to her.
Geeta showed her new dress to Seeta.
(17) Comprise of = consist of
Despite of = In spite of
Enter into = come into / go into
Investigate into = enquire into
This website comprises/consists of useful information of all competitive examinations.
In spite of/ Despite his best efforts, he failed.
She entered/went into her office.
The police investigated/enquired into the case.
Get the entire SSC CGL Tier-II Online Test Series comprising of 20 tests with two free mocks. Know where you rank among your peers and improve your score based on the same. These tests are available both in Hindi and English and come along with a report card with your overall performance analysis.
All the best!
Commentswrite a comment