Important Idioms, Phrases & Phrasal Verb with Letter 'H'
1. Have a hand in
Meaning - To be involved or influential in the planning, creation, or execution of something
Meaning (Hindi) - शामिल होना, निर्माण में प्रभावशाली होना
Example - Even though the writer is someone else, from the writing style of the book, it is evident that the President had a hand in it.
Meaning - To argue uselessly/characterized by the minute and irrelevant differences or details in an argument.
Meaning (Hindi) - बाल की खाल खींचना
Example - My colleague has a very bad habit of hair-splitting even on trivial issues.
3. Handle someone with kid gloves
Meaning - to be very careful and polite to a person because you don't want to hurt him or her, or you don't want to make him or her angry or upset.
Meaning (Hindi) - कोमलता से व्यवहार करना
Example - You need to handle her with kid gloves as she is very upset after her brother's demise.
4. Hale and Hearty
Meaning - Fit and fine
Meaning (Hindi) - चुस्त और तंदुरुस्त
Example - Although he was hospitalized two weeks back, he is hale and hearty now.
Meaning - to delay or wait; to be delayed/to wait to take action
Meaning (Hindi) - विलम्ब होना
Example - Our film shooting has to hang fire until we get permission from the forest authority.
You can practice mock tests for the upcoming IBPS Clerk Main 2022 with the IBPS Main Test Series designed by BYJU'S Exam Prep experts designed by the experts of BYJU'S Exam Prep.
6. Harp on the same tune
Meaning - Keep on repeating the same thing
Meaning (Hindi) - एक ही बात दोहराना जारी रखना
Example - I do not want to sit beside him as he always harps on the same tune that his father won the election last year.
7. Have had one's chips
Meaning - To be defeated; to fail completely; to die or be killed.
Meaning (Hindi) - पराजित होना, पूरी तरह से विफल
Example - Most of the businesses have had their chips due to the recession in the country.
8. Have a cow
Meaning - To become amazed, angered, or upset/To get very upset about something, often more than is expected or warranted
Meaning (Hindi) - क्रोधित और परेशान होना
Example - The principal had a cow when he caught students cheating during the exam.
9. Hang in the balance
Meaning - To be in the state of uncertainty/Be in a precarious condition or in a state of suspense
Meaning (Hindi) - अनिश्चितता की स्थिति में होना
Example - The future of the students is hanging in the balance after the paper leak case.
10. Has too many irons in the fire
Meaning - to be doing too many things at once
Meaning (Hindi) - अनेक कार्यो में संलग्नता रखना
Example - My father had too many irons in the fire but he managed everything very well.
11. Hit a snag
Meaning - To encounter an unexpected problem or obstacle
Meaning (Hindi) - एक अप्रत्याशित समस्या या बाधा का सामना करना
Example - Our plan to go to the hill station hit a snag when we came to know about a cloudburst in the region.
12. Hit the nail on the head
Meaning - Said or done exactly the right thing/ to do something in the most effective and efficient way.
Meaning (Hindi) - बहुत सटीकता से
Example - By analyzing the main reason behind the lack of confidence in Raman, his father hit the nail on the head.
13. Hit the sack/Hit the hay
Meaning - To get into bed and go to sleep
Meaning (Hindi) - बिस्तर में जाना
Example -: When we came back home after the long tiring trip, we directly hit the sack.
14. Hope against hope
Meaning - To continue to hope for something even though it seems unlikely to happen/Cling to a mere possibility
Meaning (Hindi) - व्यर्थ की आशा
Example -: He hasn't studied for the exam and he is hoping against hope that he might pass when the result is about to come.
15. Hush Money
Meaning - money paid to someone to prevent them from disclosing embarrassing or discreditable information.
Meaning (Hindi) - रिश्वत देना, मुंहभराई
Example -: The corrupt man tried a lot to offer hush money to the minister but failed in his motive.
16. Hand back
Meaning - to give something back to someone
Meaning (Hindi) - वापस करना
Example -: Harish gave me this book, so please hand back it to him when you meet him.
17. Hand down
- to give knowledge or skill to someone who is younger than you and will live after you have died
- to give clothes, toys , etc to a younger child when an older child no longer needs them
- to say officially that someone should receive a particular punishment
Meaning (Hindi) - के नाम करना, दिया जाना
- These art skills have been handed down from one generation to another generation.
- The sentence handed down by the judge to the little boy is too severe according to everyone.
18. Head off
- to prevent something from taking place
- to leave
- to prevent someone from going somewhere by getting in front of them
Meaning (Hindi) - बाधा डालना, छुड़ाना, रोक देना
Example -: It is need of the hour to head off our children going in the wrong direction.
19. Hammer away at
Meaning - Work relentlessly
Meaning (Hindi) - निरंतर काम करना
Example -: Because the last date to submit the project was near, she hammered away at her computer whole night.
20. Hack around
Meaning - Waste time
Meaning (Hindi) - समय बर्बाद करना
Example -: Hacking around will lead you nowhere in life.
Word of the day: Hold
21. Hold forth
Meaning - State your opinions about something, especially when talking for a long time and boringly/ talk lengthily, assertively, or tediously about a subject.
Meaning (Hindi) - विस्तार से कहना
Example - In our annual function, the chief guest held forth for about 40 minutes on a variety of subjects.
- Prevent something from moving forwards or progressing
- Not disclose information or make it public
Meaning (Hindi) - अवरुद्ध करना
- As her only brother was going to the hostel, it was really hard for her to hold back the tears.
- The bank held back the findings of the report for the fear of alienating customers.
23. Hold on
- To hold tightly
Meaning (Hindi) - जोर से पकड़ना, प्रतीक्षा करना
- Hold on for five minutes, I am about to reach the place.
- The mother advised the son to hold on his bag while travelling in a train.
24. Hold off
- Stop someone from attacking or beating you
- (of bad weather) fail to occur.
Meaning (Hindi) - रोक कर रखना
- Because of the bad weather, the international match has been held off.
- Vijender could not hold his opponent off and lost the game.
25. Hold something over
Meaning - postpone something.
Meaning (Hindi) - स्थगित करना
- The exam was held over until the last week of May due to some undisclosed reasons.
- He was hoping that he would be able to get away after committing the crime, but the security officers proved him wrong.
Commentswrite a comment