Reasoning Ability for IBPS Clerk Mains 2018
Now, a quick look at the topics and the respective number of questions that were asked in the IBPS Clerk Mains Reasoning section last year.
Name of the Topic
Number of Questions asked
Puzzles and Seating Arrangement
Machine Input Output
However, a lot of variations were introduced in the Reasoning section of IBPS PO Mains exam this year. So, don’t restrict yourself just to the topics that were asked last year.
Topic-wise preparation tips
1. Puzzles and Seating Arrangement
- A major chunk of the reasoning section comprised of Puzzles and Seating Arrangement questions last year.
- Pay special attention to the problems with a number of variables.
- Practice multiple parameters based questions, be it arrangements, scheduling, tabulation or floor based problems.
- Regular practice is the only way to ace this section. So, try to spend at least 30-40 minutes per day specifically on the practice of puzzles and arrangement based questions.
- If you have doubts about how to solve puzzles and seating arrangement based questions, then go through their basic study notes first to have a clear understanding of the correct approach to solve these questions.
- Do check out the links below for better understanding and practice of these topics:
(a) Tips to solve Puzzle Questions
(b) Tips to solve Seating Arrangement Questions
2. Data Sufficiency
- 4-5 questions are expected to be asked from this topic in the exam.
- The best part of the Data Sufficiency topic is that you don’t need any specific preparation for it. Questions of data sufficiency are based on the other topics of this section, and if you have a clear understanding of them, solving questions of this topic becomes quite easy.
- Also, you don’t need to solve the complete questions, a common mistake which many of you tend to make. Remember, you just need to figure out the statement which would be sufficient to answer the given question.
- Do go through the links below to prepare this topic better:
(a) Tips to solve Data Sufficiency Questions
- Questions of Input-Output have become slightly tricky now.
- They are not based merely on the shifting of terms now but also include mathematical operations.
- So, have a very proper practice of such questions because you can easily expect 3-4 questions from Input-Output section.
- Make sure that you check out the links below:
(a) Tips to solve Input-Output Questions
- There is a high probability of new pattern-based Syllogism questions in the Clerk mains exam.
- So, have a very thorough practice of Reverse Syllogism based questions, since they are usually time-consuming.
- Do check out the links below for better practice of this topic:
(a) Tips to solve Syllogism questions (New Pattern)
- A lot of variations have been introduced in this topic since last year, with ‘rule-based’ coding questions in the recently concluded IBPS PO Mains exam 2017.
- So, make sure that you go through the basic approach of each new pattern introduced in the coding-decoding topic and then move on to their practice.
- You can follow the links below for practice of this topic better:
(a) Tips to solve Coding-Decoding questions (New pattern)
6. Verbal/ Logical Reasoning
- Students often tend to skip questions of logical or verbal reasoning in the exam.
- However, if you have ample practice, you can easily turn this segment into a scoring one for you.
- For this, first, go through the basic approach of each sub-topic of verbal reasoning and understand what the questions require.
- To check out the study notes and practice questions of this topic, go through the links below:
(a) Tips to solve Verbal Reasoning Questions
7. Computer Aptitude
- You do not need to prepare theoretical computer awareness questions for this section.
- Questions of Computer Aptitude will be logical and mostly flowchart or diagram based.
- We will start the quizzes of this section shortly.
8. Alphabet test
- 1 or 2 questions can be expected from this topic.
- For this, you should remember the rank of alphabets to answer the questions quickly. Learn the easy and quick tricks to remember ranks of letters.
- Tricks to learn Ranks of Alphabets
9. Blood Relation
Questions of blood relation are expected to be asked in the coded form. Solve it using Venn diagrams/ family tree while solving these questions and make sure that you differentiate the males & females symbols properly. It will help to avoid any confusion in the end.
- You can use + symbol for a male and - symbol for a female.
- Also, use different signs to differentiate among the relations. Like, you can use the double-sided arrow to relate husband wife, downwards arrow to relate parent-child and so on.
- Blood Relation Notes
10. Direction Sense
- Be clear with all the direction names.
- Start question by considering yourself facing the north direction and apply further statements accordingly.
- Solve these questions by making possible diagrams.
- In many questions of this topic, the candidates are required to calculate some values like, the total distance traveled, shortest path covered the distance between two entities, etc. For such questions, you must know about the Pythagorean Theorem, which can be used to calculate such distances.
- Direction Sense Notes
With this, read the notes of other topics and practice their questions.
Key takeaways for preparation of Reasoning ability section:
- Time limit of 45 minutes has been assigned to this section. This gives you ample time to attempt the questions of the reasoning section, provided you manage our time right from the start efficiently.
- Do not spend too much time on any question, especially puzzles and arrangement questions in the exam. It would be better to attempt the remaining questions of this section first and then come back to the question which troubled you if time permits.
- Try to make use of a timer while attempting this section to keep a track of the number of questions you are able to attempt in this section. Set a target to score at least 27+ question in the reasoning section.
- Go through the solutions of the questions which trouble you properly and make sure that you attempt them on your own after that.
The complete game of scoring high in this section is accuracy. The more you attempt with accuracy will increase your marks.
You can practice Quiz on different topics from the link given below:
To score better in this exam, make sure that you practice our Free Mock for IBPS Clerk 2018 Here!
The Most Comprehensive Exam Prep App