IAS Salary Overview
Below mentioned is the basic overview of the IAS Officer Salary In India and other details associated with it
|IAS Starting Salary||₹56100|
|Salary of IAS Officer During Training||Approx. ₹33,000–35,000 varies as per deductions|
|IAS Salary after 8 years of Service||₹1,31,249 per month or ₹15.75 lakh per year|
|Maximum Salary of IAS Officer||₹2,50,000|
|IAS Salary Pay Commission||7th Pay Commission|
|IAS Salary & Allowances||DA, HRA, TA (Travel Allowances)|
IAS Officer Salary Structure [Revised]
After the UPSC Exam, the entry-level IAS officer's salary would be ₹ 56,100 without the allowances like HRA, DA, and TA. The maximum IAS Officer Salary per month is ₹250000 INR and it is for the Cabinet Secretary. The IAS salary would be the same at the entry-level of all the newly recruited IAS officers, and it would increase with tenure and promotions. Below, we have covered the IAS salary in India according to years of experience and grade pay. After the completion of the recruitment process, candidates get salaries as per the following table.
Name of Post
Total Years of Service
SDM, Undersecretary, Assistant Secretary
ADM, Deputy Secretary, Undersecretary
District Magistrate, Joint Secretary, Deputy Secretary
District Magistrate, Deputy Secretary, Director
Divisional Commissioner, Secretary-cum-Commissioner, Joint Secretary
Divisional Commissioner, Principal Secretary, Additional Secretary
Additional Chief Secretary
Chief Secretary and Secretary
Cabinet Secretary of India
IAS Salary After 7th Pay Commission
Earlier, IAS officer salary was decided with the system of “Pay Grade for Civil Services”, but now ‘Consolidated Pay Levels’ have been introduced in the 7th Central Pay Commission. So, now the IAS salary in India and the pay scale will be decided only on the ‘Basic Pay’ along with DA, TA, and HRA. That is why the IAS officer salary will be excellent even at the entry level.
The IAS salary in India per month goes is divided into 8 grades with different pay scales and grade pay. Each level is also associated with the years of service required.
- Junior Scale - Pay Scale is 50,000 - 1,50,000 with 16,500 Grade Pay. This is entry-level with no years of service required.
- Senior Time Scale - 50,000 - 1,50,001 Pay Scale with Grade Pay of Rs. 20,000. 5 years of service are expected.
- Junior Administrative Grade - Pay Scale of Rs. 50,000 - 1,50,002 with Rs. 23,000 of Grade Pay. The years of service required is 9 years.
The highest level is Cabinet Secretary Grade with a 2,50,000 (Fixed) pay scale and the years of service vary.
IAS Salary per Month
As per the latest 7th Pay commission, the salary of an IAS Officer in the beginning and at the entry-level is ₹56100 which leads to ₹56100 – 132000 per month. After years of service and with each promotion, the IAS salary in India per month increases. The highest post being the Cabinet Secretary of India converts to approximately ₹250000 per month. This is after 37+ years of service as an IAS officer. The IAS Salary per month also includes DA which is 9% which leads to Rs 2.5 lakh + 9% per month or About Rs 32.7 lakh per annum.
IAS Salary & Allowances
In the IAS salary 2022, there are several other allowances and components with the basic salary. The HRA allowance is 24 %,16%, and 8% as per the 7th Pay Commission norms. The HRA is decided on the basis of which city you are posted to. In addition as per the 7th Pay Commission, HRA will be increased when DA crosses 50% and 100%. But there is no increase in Transport Allowance in the IAS officer salary structure. The DA which is 125% has been merged with the TA.
- Class X- 8 Cities only- 24% HRA Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, (Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, and Pune)
- Class Y- Around 100 Towns (With a Population above 5 Lakhs) – 16% HRA
- Class Z- Rural Areas – 8% HRA
Salary and Perks of an IAS Officer [Benefits]
An IAS officer’s powers and facilities are unmatched by any other profession. Apart from the great IAS salary per month in hand, given below is a list of facilities enjoyed by an IAS officer:
- Security: Due to the high profile and often dangerous nature of the job an officer is provided with a security guard for himself and his family. In cases of life threats, they are also given STF commandos.
- Residence: IAS officers are allotted residence at a very low or no rent. they are also made available the services of cooks, maids, butlers, security guards, gardeners, etc.
- Transport: They are allotted vehicles with a driver for official purposes.
- Subsidized Bills: Officers generally get highly subsidized water, electricity, phone connections, and gas.
- Trips: Officers also enjoy subsidized accommodation in Government guest houses when visiting Delhi. They can make use of accommodation available in the respective state Bhavan
- Job security: IAS officers enjoy job security as it is not easy to fire an officer and the process requires extensive investigation and inquiry as mandated by the constitution
- Study leaves: Another amazing benefit enjoyed by IAS officers is that they are allowed an official 2 to 4 years of study leave. They can also pursue courses at reputed foreign universities the cost of which is borne by the government. Here an officer who has completed a minimum of 7 years in the services is eligible to avail of this facility and they also need to sign a bond wherein it is required that an officer who avails this facility has to serve a minimum number of years with the government on his return
- Post-retirement benefits: IAS officers can also be appointed to different commissions and tribunals. many officers are also sought-after by private consulting companies for their invaluable experience in the administration. they also enjoy lifetime pension and other retirement benefits
This is by now very clear about the power and perks enjoyed by an IAS officer is unparalleled but with these powers, the IAS officers also work under the burden of immense responsibilities. They usually have to take the charge of administration for an entire district, state, department, or ministry. They can bring about positive changes and can influence policymaking on various social issues like health, education, and several economic issues. This power to serve the people and the country is unmatched by any other profession. Thus the IAS salary per month in hand, power, facilities, perks, and prestige that comes with being an IAS officer make it a worthwhile profession to strive for.
IAS Promotion Chart with Years
Candidates who successfully clear all stages of the UPSC selection process, get recruited as IAS officers. In their service period, they go through various stages of promotions and work. With every promotion, IAS salary increases.
After the completion of the recruitment process, IAS officers are trained in the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA), Mussoorie. Once the turning period is done, the officers start working as SDM. SDM communicates to different departments of government.
The officers get promotions based on their skills after working as SDM for a period of time.
IAS Officer Posts
Years of Work
ASP/ Assistant Commissioner/SDM
Deputy Secretary (State)/ Undersecretary/ ADM(Center)
DM/ Joint Secretary (State)/Deputy Secretary (Center)
DM/ Special Secretary cum Director (State)/ Director (Center)
Divisional Commissioner/ Joint Secretary (Center)/ Secretary cum Commissioner (State)
Principal Secretary (State)/ Additional Secretary/ Divisional Commissioner(Center)
Additional Chief Secretary
Cabinet Secretary of India
IAS vs IPS salary
The IAS salary and IPS salary is mostly the same. The salary for both IAS and IPS officers start from INR 56,100 excluding TA, DA, and HRA. The highest monthly salary of an IAS officer can go on to reach INR 2,50,000 for a Cabinet Secretary. Similarly, the highest salary for an IPS salary can reach INR 2,50,00 for a DGP. As you can see the salaries are the same, however, the salaries depend on the seniority and position.
IAS vs IFS Salary
IAS salary ranges from 56,100 to 2,50,000 depending on the seniority. But the pay band of an IFS officer starts from 15,600-39,100. And the highest salary for an IFS officer in India can reach INR 90,000 for a Cabinet Secretary. Not to forget, IFS officers' salary depends on the country they are posted in. Those IFS officers who are posted outside India get a foreign allowance which makes a big difference in the overall salary structure. But in India, the IAS salary is definitely more than the salary of an IFS officer.
Changes in IAS Officer Salary Structure
The latest pay commission that is followed to deduce IAS Officer Salary in India in the 7th Pay Commission. Check the salary of IAS as per the 6th Pay Commission below. This is the old structure that was followed.
|Number of years required in service||Grade||Post|
Pay Scale / Grade Pay for Salary of IAS officer
|—||Junior or Lower Time Scale||Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM), SDO, or Sub-Collector (after 2 years of probation)||15600 – 39100 / 5400|
|5||Senior Time Scale||District Magistrate (DM) or Collector or a Joint Secretary of a Government Ministry||15600 – 39100/ 6600|
|9||Junior Administrative||Special Secretary or the Head of Various Government Departments||15600 – 39100/ 7600|
|12 – 15||Selection Grade||Secretary to a Ministry||37400 – 67000/ 8700|
|17 – 20||Super Time Scale||Principal Secretary of a Very Important Department of the Government||37400 – 67000/ 8700|
|Varies||Above Super Time Scale||Varies||37400 – 67000/ 1200-|
|Varies||Apex Scale||Chief Secretary of States, Union Secretaries in charge of various ministries of Government of India||80000 (Fixed) / NA|
|Varies||Cabinet Secretary Grade||Cabinet Secretary of India||90000 (Fixed)/ NA|
Important UPSC Topics