QA or Quantitative Aptitude is again a tough section of the CAT exam. The questions asked in this section are usually from 10th standard mathematics. The level of difficulty of questions from this section is again high and aspirants must prepare well for it. CAT as we all know is a test of speed and accuracy, you need to practise well to answer as quickly and as appropriately as you can. In this article, BYJU'S Exam Prep's expert faculty have compiled a list of tips and strategies aspirants must adopt to ace the QA section of CAT.
The Common Admission Test (CAT) 2021 dates are announced and will be held on 28 November 2021. CAT is a National Level Entrance Test that is taken by more than 2 lac candidates every year and only a few thousand of them make it to their dream B-school. The Quantitative Aptitude section also holds equivalent weightage as VARC in CAT
What is Quantitative Aptitude?
Quantitative Aptitude is one of the sections of CAT which is for testing candidates' knowledge about basic mathematics. The questions asked are of the 10th standard and can be solved easily. CAT is such an important MBA entrance exam that consists of questions of a bit higher difficulty level that involves intense brainstorming. The main purpose of the CAT exam is to test the candidates for their speed and accuracy to solve questions and answer correctly.
QA full form in CAT
QA means Quantitative Aptitude in the CAT exam. This section tests candidates for their ability to solve basic mathematics (up to the 10th standard) based on questions. It is expected that there will be 26 questions from this section in CAT 2021.
CAT Quantitative Aptitude Topic Wise Weightage
As seen in the past year CAT exams, some topics secure a high grade of importance in the CAT exam. If we talk about CAT 2020, we have seen the majority of questions from Arithmetic and Algebra and very few to none questions from Modern Mathematics (Probability and PnC). So, for the upcoming CAT 2021, the experts from BYJU'S Exam Prep speculate that the section will be dominated by the following topics (listed in the order of their weightage):
- Mensuration and Geometry
- Number System
- Modern Mathematics
Check the latest CAT exam pattern 2021
CAT Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus 2021
The syllabus for the QA section of CAT 2021 is given in the table below. Candidates preparing for CAT can refer to the following QA Syllabus for CAT 2021 for their preparations. Although CAT authorities have never declared any defined syllabus for CAT exam, however, we have curated a list of topics that are expected to be important for the QA section of CAT in the following table:
Finding Units place and tens place of a number
HCF & LCM
Indices and Surds
Percentage and Average
Time and Work
Mixtures and Allegation
Ratio, Proportion and Variation
Profit, Loss and Discount
Pipe and Cistern
SI and CI
Time, Speed and Distance
Geometry and Mensuration
Lines and Angles
Functions and Groups
Maxima and Minima
Linear and Quadratic Equation
Inequalities and Modulus
Permutation and Combination
Important Topics for Quantitative Aptitude Section in CAT
The CAT exam is full of surprises. It is very difficult to say for a particular topic that it can be important for the upcoming CAT exam. However, seeing the past year trend, our expert faculty from BYJU'S Exam Prep, who have appeared for CAT themselves every year, have listed down some important topics for the Quantitative Aptitude section of CAT which might dominate the section in CAT 2021.
- Arithmetic - ~10 questions
- Algebra - 8-10 questions
- Geometry and Mensuration - ~2-3 questions
- Number System - ~2-3 questions
- Modern Mathematics - ~0-2 questions
*The number of questions stated above is the case only if there are 26 questions in the QA section of CAT as was seen in CAT 2020.
How to Prepare for CAT Quantitative Aptitude
- Candidates must work on shortcut techniques to find ways of solving questions in a simplified yet rapid manner.
- Candidates need to clear their basic concepts. Rather than solving complex questions, students should focus on solving simple examples as it would lead to the conceptual clarity of each topic mentioned in the syllabus.
- Candidates should learn tables till 30, squares up to 25, percentage equivalent of fractions till 20 and cubes up to 20 as it will save a lot of time solving the questions.
- These questions are a bit time consuming and tricky. So first solve the easy category questions. Here the accuracy depends on the amount of practice that is done before the exam.
- Start Attempting as many mock tests as possible before the exam. It will help in improving the time management skills as well as the accuracy.
- Formula book should be maintained by students in which they can note down all the essential and direct formulas to use them regularly.
- A weekly planner would help the candidates for the preparation for Quant. 3 hours per day should be devoted to the quant section.
- Solving mock tests and previous year papers will guide the candidate by analysing what they need to study according to the sample questions.
- Solving different types of questions in the CAT mock tests will help the candidates to improve their accuracy and time management skills before the exam.
Tips to Ace Questions in Quant for CAT Section
For candidates who wish to ace the QA section of CAT 2021, they must follow the tips given below which is curated by our top expert faculty for CAT.
- Try to solve the question as quickly as you can
- Do not get stuck in a question. If you are not able to solve it, better to leave and move to the next question
- Try to solve the easier questions first, this will boost up your confidence level
- Do not attempt all the questions unless you are very sure about the answer you are marking. Since there is negative marking, you might lose marks on marking wrong option
- Learn lots and lots of tricks for the questions in QA section. This will help you solve questions much easier and will save your time to solve other questions from this section
How to improve score in QA in CAT 2021?
- Improve your speed to do calculations - this can only be done if you have practised lots and lots of questions
- Improve your accuracy to mark correct answers - this again requires you to do lots and lots of practice of the tricks that you have already learnt while preparing yourself for the CAT exam
- While attempting mocks before the main exam, adopt different strategies to solve the questions. This will help you to reach and practise the best strategy to solve questions while appearing for the main exam
- You can also learn Vedic Maths to improve your calculation speed
CAT Quantitative Aptitude Best Book
There are innumerable books available in the market to help you prepare for the QA section of CAT. However, you only have to choose the best one that suits you. There are various famous writers and publishers who have written some excellent books for aspirants preparing QA section of CAT. Here is a list of few good books that you can refer while preparing yourself for the QA section of the CAT exam.
Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations
Quantitative Aptitude Quantum CAT
How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT
Quantitative Aptitude for CAT
NCERT Mathematics Books (Class 6 to 10)
CAT Quantitative Aptitude Formulas PDF
QA topics from CAT require you to learn tricks to solve questions easily. We have curated a list of topics from Quant section and have created them in downloadable PDF format.
Click HERE to Download PDF of Important Topics from the QA section
CAT Quantitative Aptitude Previous Question Papers
It is very important for candidates to practise mocks and previous year paper for the Quant section of CAT so that you are well prepared for the main exam. At BYJU'S Exam Prep, we have plenty of PYSPs and mock tests that will help CAT aspirants to be well prepared for their main CAT exam.
CAT Quantitative Aptitude Mock Test/ CAT Quant Coaching
QA is one of the tough section of the CAT exam requires candidates to be well prepared for it since there is no marked syllabus for QA (or any other section of CAT). For one to be fully prepared for the section as tough as QA, one definitely needs to study from one of the best sources and what better than faculties who themselves appear for CAT and score 99.99 percentile on several occasions? Yes, the faculty at BYJU'S Exam Prep appear for CAT every year and score more than 99%ile in QA and overall as well.
Check QA course for CAT at BYJU'S Exam Prep to improve your level of preparation.
Not only this, BYJU'S Exam Prep offers you the best in class study notes (QA CAT Notes), more than thousands of live video sessions from expert faculty, 60+ mock tests, unlimited daily quizzes and much more to get you all set for the BIG DAY.
The benefits of subscribing Online Classroom Program are:
- Structured Live Courses with a daily study plan
- Complete Access to all the running and upcoming courses of all CAT & other MBA Entrance Exams (IIFT, XAT, SNAP, TISSNET, MICAT, MH-CET-MBA, CMAT, NMAT etc.)
- NO NEED to purchase separate courses for different MBA exams
- Prepare with India's best Faculty with a proven track record (7 faculties with decades of experience)
- Complete Doubt Resolution by Mentors and Experts
- Performance analysis and Report card to track improvement
To SPEAK to our counsellors, please call us on 9650052904
Sahi Prep Hai Toh Life Set Hai!