What is Quantitative Ability?
Quantitative Ability is one of the sections of CAT which is for testing candidates' knowledge about basic mathematics. The questions asked are of the 10th standard and can be solved easily but still, it is tough for the candidates as they not only need to solve the questions accurately but also quickly. CAT is such an important MBA entrance exam that consists of questions of a bit higher difficulty level that involves intense brainstorming. The main purpose of the CAT exam is to test the candidate's speed and accuracy in solving the questions. It is expected that there will be 22 questions from this section in CAT 2022.
CAT Quantitative Ability Expected Topics
As seen in the past year's CAT exams, some topics secure a high grade of importance in the CAT exam. If we talk about CAT 2021, it has been seen that the majority of the questions were from Arithmetic and Algebra. So, for the upcoming CAT 2022 exam, the experts from BYJU'S Exam Prep have listed the expected topics for Quantitative Ability.
- Mensuration and Geometry
- Number System
- Modern Mathematics
Check the latest CAT exam pattern 2022
CAT Quantitative Ability Syllabus 2022
The syllabus for the QA section of CAT 2022 is given in the table below. Candidates preparing for CAT can refer to the following QA Syllabus for CAT 2022 for their preparations. Although CAT authorities have never declared any defined syllabus for the CAT exam, however, we have curated a list of topics that are expected to be important for the QA section of CAT in the following table:
Finding Units place and tens place of a number divisibility
HCF & LCM
Indices and Surds
Percentage and Average
Time and Work
Mixtures and Allegation
Ratio, Proportion and Variation
Profit, Loss and Discount
Pipe and Cistern
SI and CI
Time, Speed and Distance
Geometry and Mensuration
Lines and Angles
Functions and Groups
Maxima and Minima
Linear and Quadratic Equation
Inequalities and Modulus
Permutation and Combination
How to Prepare for CAT Quantitative Ability
- Candidates must work on shortcut techniques to find ways of solving questions in a simplified yet rapid manner.
- Candidates need to clear their basic concepts. Rather than solving complex questions, students should focus on solving simple examples as it would lead to the conceptual clarity of each topic mentioned in the syllabus.
- Candidates should learn tables till 30, squares up to 25, percentage equivalent of fractions till 20, and cubes up to 20 as it will save a lot of time-solving the questions.
- These questions are a bit time-consuming and tricky. So first solve the easy category questions. Here the accuracy depends on the amount of practice that is done before the exam.
- Start Attempting as many mock tests as possible before the exam. It will help in improving the time management skills as well as the accuracy.
- Formula book should be maintained by students in which they can note down all the essential and direct formulas to use them regularly.
- A weekly planner would help the candidates for the preparation for Quant. 3 hours per day should be devoted to the quant section.
- Solving mock tests and previous year papers will guide the candidate by analyzing what they need to study according to the sample questions.
- Solving different types of questions in the CAT mock tests will help the candidates to improve their accuracy and time management skills before the exam.
Tips to Ace Questions in Quant for CAT Section
For candidates who wish to ace the QA section of CAT 2022, they must follow the tips given below which are curated by our top expert faculty for CAT.
- Try to solve the questions as quickly as you can.
- Do not get stuck in a question. If you are not able to solve it, better to leave and move to the next question.
- Try to solve the easier questions first, this will boost your confidence level.
- Do not attempt all the questions unless you are very sure about the answer you are marking. Since there is negative marking, you might lose marks on marking the wrong option.
- Learn lots and lots of tricks to solve the questions in the QA section. This will help you save time.
How to improve score in QA in CAT 2022?
- Improve your speed to do calculations - this can only be done if you have practiced lots and lots of questions
- Improve your accuracy to mark correct answers - this again requires you to do lots and lots of practice of the tricks that you have already learned while preparing yourself for the CAT exam
- While attempting mocks before the main exam, adopt different strategies to solve the questions. This will help you to reach and practice the best strategy to solve questions while appearing for the main exam
- You can also learn Vedic Maths to improve your calculation speed
CAT Quantitative Ability Formulas PDF
QA topics from CAT require you to learn tricks to solve questions easily. We have curated a list of topics from the Quant section and have created them in downloadable PDF format.
CAT Quantitative Ability Previous Question Papers
Candidates need to practice mocks and previous year papers for the Quant section of CAT so that they are well prepared for the main exam. At BYJU'S Exam Prep, we have plenty of PYSPs and mock tests that will help CAT aspirants to be well prepared for their main CAT exam.
|CAT Exam Related Links|
|CAT Exam Full Form||CAT Pattern|
|CAT Exam Dates||CAT Previous Year Question Papers|
|CAT 2022 Syllabus||CAT Answer Key 2022|
|CAT 2022 Preparation||CAT Counselling|
|How to Crack CAT Exam||CAT Reading Comprehension Books|
The most comprehensive exam prep app.
If you are aiming to crack CAT and other MBA Exam, join BYJU'S Exam Prep Online Classroom Program where you get :
- Live Courses by Top Faculty
- Daily Study Plan
- Comprehensive Study Material
- Latest Pattern Test Series
- Complete Doubt Resolution
- Regular Assessments with Report Card