The UPSC conducts the NDA preliminary written round for the screening of the candidates who deserve a seat in the NDA. This written round is then followed by NDA SSB interview where the candidates are tested on multiple areas, including their General Awareness, Daily aptitude, overall personality, physical and soft skills, etc. Some medical tests are also included at a later stage.
The NDA exam is conducted twice a year and is taken by lakhs of students who are keen on joining the NDA. There is an age bar of 19 and a half years, and the test cannot be given once you cross the prescribed age limit. Specialized pieces of training are given to the candidates based on the area of interest. In the following article we will share some tips to crack NDA 2022 Physical Test in first attempt.
Here is a detailed guide on how to prepare for NDA physical test.
NDA Exam 2022 Physical Test Overview
The NDA Physical test is one of the most important rounds to make your entry into the field of defence. The test has certain restrictions to the age limit, educational qualifications, and several others. The list below mentions some specific criteria to be adhered to for going into the Indian defence sector and prepare after the 12th:
- He/ She must be a citizen of India or a refugee from Nepal, Bhutan, Tibet or people who have an Indian origin and are migrating back to India from countries like Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, several East African Countries etc. to settle back in the country
- He/ She must have completed his Intermediate education (Class 12) or must be appearing for it in the very same year. Also, if the candidate is interested in choosing the Air Force, he must have Physics and Mathematics as his subjects in 12th grade. This criterion comes into picture due to various technicalities involved in managing planes, choppers, etc
- His/ Her age must be above 16.5 and not more than 19.5
- He/ She must be unmarried at the time of application and shall stay unmarried during the entire training period. If this clause is not adhered to, the candidate shall be disqualified from the training process
These are some of the most important criteria that need to be taken care of. The National Defence Academy is an institute of National and Strategic importance. Therefore, these restrictions are strictly taken care of. There are certain physical restrictions for the NDA test as it is a test of stamina, physical endurance, activeness and a lot of other aspects which require mechanical work and a lot of strength.
Physical Test Requirements for NDA 2022 Exam
Fitness is mandatory if you want to make an entry into the defence sector of the economy. A lot of focus has been put on certain requirements which would make the candidates eligible for the test.
If the candidate wants to go for the Indian Army or the Air Force, he should be at least 157 and 162.5 centimeters (for male candidates) & 152 and 162.5 (for Female candidates) tall respectively.
Height (in cm)
Weight (in kgs)
Physical Standards for NDA 2022 Exam - Navy
Height (in cm)
Weight (in kgs)
|For Male & Female Candidates|
Upto 17 years
Upto 18 years
The candidates who aspire to become a pilot also have specific leg measurements to adhere to. Their leg lengths should be between 99 cm to 120 cm. Their thighs can measure maximum up to 64 cm and also when they are in their sitting posture, and the height measurement should lie between 81.5 cm to a maximum of 96 cm.
Specific strict visual standards have to be taken care of by the candidates before the NDA Physical Test. He must be six on 6 in terms of his better eye and a six on nine for the worse eye. There are certain restrictions on candidates suffering from Myopia and Hypermetropia. Also, the chest size of the candidate should not be less than 81 centimetres.
How to Crack the NDA Physical Test in First Attempt?
The NDA test is a test which tests your fitness, stamina, will power, endurance and several other areas which will be made use of during the pieces of training and in the day to day work later. In the following article we are sharing the tips to qualify NDA physical test in first attempt.
1. Physical Conditioning:
The candidates are advised to keep themselves in good shape. If the candidate is not in good shape but still wants to be a part of the NDA, he will have to start working on his body conditioning so that he complies with the minimum requirements which are laid down by the academy
- The candidates can start by running every day for at least 2.5 kilometres. Also, the running should be timed by the candidate. For instance, he must be able to run for 2.5 kilometres in 17-18 minutes.
- Skipping with the help of a rope has also proved to be very effective in terms of physical conditioning. When you skip a rope, there is an oscillating movement of your arms, and also you jump the rope using both your legs. This increases the capacity and strength of both your arms and legs.
- Functional Training: Functional fitness is very important when it comes to the physical test. Functional fitness makes much more sense as the defence sector demands high functionality.
- Push-ups and Sit-ups have proven to be very effective when it comes to functional fitness. At least 20 of each should be done every day, and the number can be increased after every five days.
- 8-10 chin-ups can be done every day. Also, the candidates can follow the western workouts which include crunches, burpees, jumping jacks etc. These exercises contribute significantly to building the stamina of the candidate.
- Also, rope climbing exercises have proved to be very effective when it comes to endurance building. 3-4 metres rope can be used for rope climbing. Also, the rope-climbing activity is quite adventurous if you build a knack towards it.
NDA Physical Test Procedure
After qualifying the written test, the shortlisted candidates receive their call letters for the SSB test where the basic comprehension and general understanding skills are tested. Those who qualify these rounds move forward to the Medical Test.
The Medical fitness round takes care of the complete check-up of the candidates. Specific parameters are set, and if the candidates don't pass with desired results, they might get disqualified permanently or temporarily.
After the medical tests, the physical fitness of the candidates is tested. The criteria mentioned above will be checked, and if any of the requirements stands unfulfilled, the person's candidature will be cancelled. Also, body weakness, weak body constitution, body defects, underweight, obese, etc. are big no-nos. The bones have to be healthy, and the muscular strength should be enough to reflect good health and stamina.
Measurements of chests, thighs, etc. should be kept in mind. Also, various X-rays like that of the chest have to be submitted to the concerned authorities to make sure if the breast or any other part per se is free from any ailments or diseases.
The candidates should not have a medical or genetic history of night-blindness. Candidates should also be mentally fit and free from certain diseases like Arthritis, Spondylosis, Degenerative Disc disease and any other abnormalities as specified by the NDA Commission.
Also, the hearing capacity of the candidate should be good enough. Various audiometric tests are conducted to check if the candidates' hearing loss is not more than 20 decibels for frequencies of sounds ranging from 250 to 8000 Hz. The sizes of the organs should be reasonable, and the liver and the spleen should not be large.
One of the most important criteria for the selection of the candidates is the quality of his teeth. Various teeth scores are allotted with the maximum being 22. A minimum of 14 points has to be scored to clear this test. Also, the teeth should be free of severe pyorrhoea. Candidates adhering to all these physical standards will be selected and will then proceed to the training sessions.
A specific NDA test race is conducted to check the stamina of the prospective candidates.
The selection process of the National Defence Academy (NDA) is a lengthy one. Still, if the candidates are well prepared for the written, SSB, medical, and physical rounds, they can make their way into NDA with much ease.
With hard work and perseverance, the NDA test can be cracked by the candidates who aspire to become a part of the Indian Defence System. The physical standards are released way before the tests, and if a candidate is lagging in any criterion, he can start working on the same so that the desired results will be achieved. The NDA Physical test is one of the most strict tests conducted in the country, but if you are determined to get through, you definitely will.
More from us:
The Most Comprehensive Exam Prep App