In order to score high in the prelims exam of SBI PO, speed and accuracy matter a lot. So, you have to be very careful with the question selection. Pick the questions smartly. Your selection must be subject to your expertise in a particular topic and the fact that the question must not consume a lot of your time.
Before starting your preparation, you must go through the SBI PO exam pattern and SBI PO selection process for better clarity of thought.
Let us now see how one should prepare for the quant section of the SBI PO Preliminary exam.
Expert Tips for SBI PO Prelims Quant Section
Kindly go through the expert tips to excel in the Quantitative Aptitude section of the SBI PO Prelims 2022.
- You will get 35 questions to solve in 20 minutes. So you need to be very efficient in mental calculation and calculation speed.
- You must be thorough with the percentage-fraction conversion, square roots, cube roots, Vedic math tricks, tables, etc.
- Focus on simplification-approximation, number series, and DI.
- Have a target of at least 30 questions to attempt with good accuracy.
- Practice daily quizzes and sectional tests on BYJU'S Exam Prep.
- Focus on basic arithmetic chapters like ratio, percentage, partnership, time-work, time-speed, interest, and average.
Quantitative Aptitude Preparation for SBI PO 2022 Exam
In the Quantitative Aptitude section of SBI PO Prelims 2020, a total of 35 questions will be asked on various topics. These are–
- Simplification / Approximation
- Quadratic Equations
- Data Interpretation
- Number Series
- Miscellaneous Topics (These are - Work & Time, Speed, Time & Distance, Simple & Compound Interest, Profit & Loss, Ratio & Proportion, Problems on Partnership, Ages,
Permutation & Combination, Probability, Percentage & Averages, Mixture & Allegations, Boats, Streams, etc.)
Let us now have a look at the number of questions that were asked from different topics in the SBI PO 2020 Preliminary Exam -
Quantitative Aptitude (Topics)
No. of Questions
10 - 12
Quantity Based Questions
This is just for your reference purpose; to give you an overall idea of the exam structure that you may expect in SBI PO prelims 2022. You should go through the SBI PO Previous year question paper to know the exact type of questions. Now, let’s see how to approach this section:
- In this topic, if you understand the pattern of series in one attempt, then it's good otherwise it consumes a lot of time to grasp the pattern
- Hence, give it one honest attempt. If you are able to solve it, good enough, otherwise skip the question and don’t waste too much time on it
- Practice a lot of questions to have an understanding of various patterns
Number Series study notes
- If you are good at calculation, this topic will boost your overall score
- Learn various short tricks to enhance your calculation speed
- Follow the ‘BODMAS’ rule and apply operations in the order of priority
- In approximation questions, avoid calculating the exact figure and use approximate values in the calculation.
- To ace this section, learn the multiplication tables up to 25, squares up to 30, and cubes up to 20. It will save your calculation time and hence, will unquestionably increase your speed
- In this, you have to make approximations according to the question and options, you can also use the option elimination technique to solve this question
- Don’t attempt these questions first if you have nomophobia
Calculation Short tricks
- Questions from this topic are generally of a moderate level
- If you understand the basics of this topic, you can easily attempt around 3-4 questions
- Practice various types of questions to understand the common pattern
- You can go through the study notes of this topic from the link given below
Quadratic Equation Study Notes
You may check the list of important SBI PO books to practice the most expected quadratic equation question for the upcoming SBI PO prelims exam.
- Generally, 2 sets of data interpretation are asked in the prelims exam. You may come across the following types of DI:
(a) Pie Charts
(b) Line Graphs
(c) Bar Graphs
(d) Missing DI
(e) Tabular Graphs
- It is the most scoring and time-consuming section. So, to score good marks, you need to master this topic
- For this, you have to work on your calculation skills
- Practice as many questions as possible to increase your speed and try to do the calculations without the use of pen and paper
- In this topic, some questions can be answered by just analyzing the data given in the graph; figuring out the answer by just eliminating options, and visual estimation of the graph
- Avoid the use of a calculator while practicing
- Practice is the only key that will help you understand the nature of the questions; practice questions from the previous year's papers to inspect your preparation level
- Check and match your solutions after attempting the questions to know your weak areas and then improve them accordingly
- For this topic, you must have a strong command of miscellaneous topics like Ratio and Proportion, Averages, Percentages, Profit and Loss, Partnership, S.I, C.I, Time and Work, etc.
Basics of Data Interpretation
Miscellaneous Arithmetic Questions
This section consists of various topics in the arithmetic section. You must attempt this section in the time which is left after you have attempted all the other questions. While attempting the arithmetic questions, attempt those topics first over which you have a good hold and have practiced thoroughly. You can go through the study notes of the topics from the link given below:
You can go through the SBI PO syllabus to know all the chapters that are included in the SBI PO exam.
You can practice quizzes on different topics from the link given below:
Make sure that you solve all the quizzes in the Quantitative Aptitude section. Attempt them regularly to strengthen your concepts.
Important Points to Keep in Mind for SBI PO 2022
There are many important factors you need to keep in mind while preparing for SBI PO 2022 exam. Kindly go through the important pointers mentioned below.
1. Time Management
It is the most important element that must be kept in mind for cracking any competitive exam. Practice is the only key that will help you improve your efficiency and speed to solve the question. When you attempt a mock test, watch out for the time taken to solve the question individually. Thereby analyze your weak and strong areas. Strengthen the weak areas by understanding their basic concepts and polish your strong areas by learning their short tricks and practicing more.
You should check the SBI PO previous year Cutoff for a better understanding of the required number of questions to be attempted in the stipulated time frame.
2. Don’t get stuck to a particular question
Many of the students take it to their hearts and ego when they are not able to solve the easy question. Sometimes, we commit silly mistakes and try to resolve them without thinking about the time constraint. So, just leave that question and move on to the next one. Review it again at the end if you have any spare time.
3. Selection of the questions to attempt in 20 minutes
As we all know that SBI has introduced sectional timing in the Prelims phase on account of which you will be having only 20 minutes to solve all the 35 questions. Thus, plan your exam strategy beforehand. Everyone knows their strong areas. Attempt those topics first that you find easy and less time taking. For instance, you can attempt Simplification/Approximation, Quadratic Equation, and Data Interpretation first. After that give a single try to the Number series. At last attempt miscellaneous topics in which you are comfortable.
4. What should not be attempted?
Practice makes a man perfect. If you have practiced daily, you would have known topics in which you are weak. So, do not attempt the questions of that topic first because at the time of solving these questions, you will not be confident and it will either lead to incorrect questions and negative marking or just a waste of time.
Check here the strategy to crack the SBI PO exam in the first attempt
5. Regular Practice
Practice sectional and full-length mock tests. When you will attempt the quant section within a proper time limit, you will be able to analyze how you should approach it in the final exam. You will know about the silly mistakes which you can avoid. Also, practicing helps you figure out the topic which consumes more time and which needs to be done at first for gaining maximum marks.
Try to attempt at least 25+ questions in each section in order to achieve a 20+ score in this section.
Related Useful Links
|SBI PO Cut Off||SBI PO Vacancy|
|SBI PO Syllabus PDF||SBI PO Selection process|
|SBI PO Question Papers||SBI PO Salary|
|SBI PO Study Material||SBI PO Practice Set|
If you are aiming to crack the SBI & IBPS 2023 exam, then join the Online Classroom Program where you will get:
- Live Courses by Top Faculty
- Daily Study Plan
- Comprehensive Study Material
- Latest Pattern Test Series
- Complete Doubt Resolution
- Regular Assessments with Report Card
Click here to access Test Series
Why BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series?
- Unlimited access to 18+ Bank and Insurance Exam mock tests
- Mock Tests designed by Exam Experts.
- Detailed Performance Analysis.
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.
Commentswrite a comment