UPPSC PCS Exam Strategy
Combined State / Upper Subordinate Services (PCS) exam conducted by Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC) in the three stages – Preliminary, Mains, and Interview. With the right strategy, one can score well without losing any marks in UPPSC preliminary exam. We are providing you Exam Strategy that helps you crack the UPPSC preliminary exam. Books are the most important required for preparing for the UPPCS Exam.
The candidates should understand and learn the UPPSC Syllabus before selecting the best books for the UPPCS Exam. UPPCS exam is more oriented towards factual information than conceptual information. There are some indirect questions asking about the cause of or the background of an event. Current affairs also play a very important role in the UPPCS exam so the candidate should pay more attention to the Current Affairs Topic. The nature of questions where is from medium difficulty level to hard. Before sitting for any exam, you must prepare a strategy as it will guide you in one direction and also help you to prepare well during the preparation time without getting confused and lost. and we will be covering all the preparation tips and strategies for UPPSC PCS 2020 that can help you to clear this exam. Be ready from the first day when you start your preparation for the UPPCS exam so that the confidence is there inside you so that you never lose hope and start making your bright future.
The UPPSC preliminary exam consists of two papers. The nature of the Prelim Exam is Objective type.
- General Studies-I consists of subjects such as current affairs, history, geography, economy, Indian polity, environmental and ecological concepts, and general science.
- General Studies-II consists of subjects such as Aptitude, Hindi, English. It is a qualifying one and 33 percent marks are required to qualify.
- Both the papers are of two hundred marks and the duration is two hours.
- There is a One-third negative marking for every wrong answer.
UPPSC PCS Subject Wise Exam Analysis:
The previous year's question paper gives a real understanding of the important areas of the syllabus and hence the focus points of the preparation. We are providing you Subject wise break-up of the Number of questions asked in the UPPSC PCS Exam.
|Subject||Number of Questions|
|Economy, Government Scheme||10-15|
|Census 2011, Agriculture, Mineral, Urbanization Date, International Organization||30-35|
UPPSC PCS Exam Tips:
- Negative marking has been introduced in the UPPSC preliminary exam, one should focus on not marking those questions in which have doubt of the correct answer. The best way to get the right answer is through the elimination process.
- Preparing a timeline for the trending issues for a better understanding.
- Study and memorize the syllabus so that you can decide which topics you need to study.
- Never Go Wrong With Basics. The basic concepts play a significant role in the UPPSC preliminary exam. Keep all the data at your fingertips because half of the paper will be based on statistic GK.
- While preparing for the exam, candidates should prepare flashcards and highlight the important points.
- Make short notes on every topic, a topic-wise short note must be prepared by you. This will result in a better option for you to study and they should be written in your language so that you can easily understand them. The notes will help you in your exam time or revision time.
- Never lose hope, after completing every chapter take your own test, this test may realize you where you stand after study. This test will give your feedback on what you had done since you start preparing for the UPPCS Exam.
- In history, the focus should be on the social, economic, and political areas. Also, focus on the national independence movement specifically from the Gandhian era.
- Focus on Indian Economy and physical geography and Indian Geography because many questions are expected from these topics.
- Many candidates will read the Indian Constitution to score well in polity-related questions. Along with this, give priority to the political system and the latest developments. The facts and figures are very important in the environmental section. Reading the NCERT textbooks will help in the Science section.
- A candidate also must make sure that in CSAT, at least 33% are secured, so the preparation should be done accordingly.
- Note that if one does not secure 33% in GS Paper II, the GS Paper-I will not even be evaluated.
Make a schedule:
- Make sure you give proper time to each subject. Along with the revision plan and practicing previous years' paper and give mock papers.
- Give extra time to those areas in which you think that you are weak.
- Make a plan for CSAT.
Make sure that enough efforts are put in because this Exam demands practice and a good amount of attention i.e. Presence of Mind! This can be achieved through daily practice and revision.
The first question Why You want to become a Civil Servant.
This is very crucial as this whole process of preparation is very long, hectic, and can be overwhelming at times and the feeling of Giving up can come up more often than one realizes. At such times, it becomes important to find motivation from within. Knowing the reason for exactly why you started the preparation in the first place and the reason to be in the Services will provide you with the will power and motivation to work hard during such the testing times.
As a famous quote "Believe in Yourself you will be unstoppable".
Previous Year Question Papers:
Previous Year question papers can guide the candidates in the most authentic way because the real paper gives a clear picture of the upcoming exam. In addition to this, the previous year's question paper gives a real understanding of the important areas of the syllabus and hence the focus points of the preparation. Every aspirant should go through the UPPSC PCS Previous years question papers to understand the nature of the exam and the type of questions asked.
Importance of Newspapers & Magazine:
Around 30-35 questions asked from Current affairs. Thus the newspaper is very useful and the daily habit of reading the newspaper whether The Hindu or The Indian Express is important. ( For Hindi Medium student Danik Jagram & Hindustan is quite good). Apart from the daily reading books, one should make notes of important news which will help you in revising during exam times. Along with that students refer at least one monthly magazine like Pratiyogita Darpan.
Sticking to One Source
In this online world, there is no dearth of reading material for UPPSC PCS, and it's very common for aspirants to get swayed by them. This should be avoided by aspirants and they should instead focus on competing and revising the sources one has referred to in the beginning. The most important part is the Revision. Regular revision is very important of what you read should be the target and not reading new things that come your way.
Mock Tests has many benefits like:
- It helps you to practice and learn.
- It helps you to understand the exam pattern and types of questions asked and get adapted to it.
- Giving mocks without analyzing is again waste. You have learned and analyze what were your mistakes or why couldn't you solve a bit and how comfortable you are going with it and how much practice do you need
Syllabus of UPPSC PCS Preliminary Exam
- Current events of national and international Importance
- History of India and Indian National Movement
- Indian Polity and governance
- India and World Geography
- Economic and Social Development
- Environment & Ecology
- General Science
|History||Focus on Art and Culture, Modern History. Some of the topics are Indus Valley Civilization, Vedic Society, Jainism, Buddhism, Revolt of 1857, Freedom Struggle, Social, Religious, Tribal, Civil Movement, Architecture in Ancient India, Indo-Islamic Architecture, Painting, Music, Dance, Bhakti & Sufi Movement, etc.|
|Polity||focus on Historical Evolution, Fundamental Rights, DPSP, Centre-State Relations, and Appointment & Removal procedures of various heads, Parliament, Judiciary, Statutory & Non-Statutory Bodies, Local Government, and Various Recent Supreme Court Judgement.|
|Geography||Focus on Physical Geography & Indian Geography in that Origin of Earth & Life, Geological Time Scale, and Interior of Earth. Various phenomena like Earthquake, Volcano, Cyclone. Landform & their Evolution, Climatology, Oceanography, Census, Mineral & Energy Resources, Map which is most important.|
|Environment:||A basic topic like Ecology, Ecosystem, Biodiversity, SDG, Conventions, Treaties, Environmental Laws, Environmental Organization, Climate Change, etc.|
|Economy||Basic Economic Terms (GDP, NNP, etc.), Planning Budgeting, Fiscal Policy, Monetary Policy, Financial System, Banking, Foreign Trade & International Organization, Economic Survey, etc.|
|Science & Technology||Basic of Cells, Genetics, Evolution, Reproduction, Nutrition. Biotechnology, Space in which India’s Space Mission, NASA Space Mission, Defence, Nuclear Energy, IT, Electronics & Telecom, Robotics, Nano Science, Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things, Blockchain Technology, etc.|
|Current Affairs||Government Bill, Acts, Welfare Scheme, International Summit, Agreements, Places in News, GI tag, Ranking, Reports, International Relations, Sports, etc., Agriculture, Mineral, Census, International Organization, UP GK, etc|
Most Important Things: Pay attention to Health, Get Proper Sleep, Eat Healthily, Drink Water, Exercise, and Repeat.
Paper 2 of UPPSC PCS is qualifying in nature and one has to secure 33% in this. Marks obtained in this paper are not taken into account in the preparation of the merit list after prelims. Because of this aspirants neglect this paper completely and every year many of them fail in prelims despite clearing General Studies-I but failing in General Studies-II. Proper devotion of a few hours is sufficient for this paper.
By revision, you make sure that your command on the subject is a really strong and revision help:
- your final preparation is better, more polished, than your initial draft;
- your first preparation is never your best one;
- to polish more knowledge on the subject.
All the Best!!
To Download free UPPSC PCS Study Materials Click Here
More from us