Though, to get a call for the next phase, i.e., the IBPS Clerk Mains exam, you have to qualify for all the three sections (English, Reasoning, and Quant) individually and also score well in the IBPS Clerk Prelims 2022 Exam.
Many of you are comfortable with the Reasoning and Quant section but always face difficulty in attempting the English section, as it is the most avoided and least prepared section.
Most of the candidates are unable to crack IBPS and other bank exams because they are unable to qualify for the sectional cutoff of the English section.
And this time, there is a sectional time limit as well, so it is very important to give special attention to this subject. Thus, in this article, we are providing you with some tips to prepare for the English Section in the IBPS Clerk Prelims 2022 exam.
Important Aspects for IBPS Clerk Prelims Exam
In order to be successful in this section, you need to know to focus on three important aspects during the exam:
- Always try to attempt the questions with 100% accuracy.
- As you know the negative marking system exists in this exam, which is why you must ensure that you answer each question correctly.
- Attempting questions with accuracy will increase the chances of scoring high and help you to clear the sectional cutoff.
- Try to maintain a constant speed during the exam otherwise, you will lose your valuable time.
- Which topic you should attempt in English Section?
- As banking exams are all about accuracy and speed, you never skip any one of the above aspects if you are looking to score well.
- But the catch is that your speed and accuracy in the exam depend a lot on the questions you attempt first.
Practice IBPS Clerk Mock Test to score full marks in the English section hassle-free.
Tips For IBPS Clerk English Section
The English Language section of the IBPS Clerk Prelims exam consists of questions such as –Reading comprehension, Cloze Test, Para -Jumbles, and Spotting error. Fill in the blanks and other new pattern questions. Here are some of the key things that you need to take care of. Let’s understand them one at a time.
If you are weak or average in English Language Section then always aim to clear the sectional cutoff and don’t try to attempt all the questions in the exam. It is wise to attempt 20 – 22 questions in this section if some of the questions might go wrong then you may have a chance of clearing the IBPS Clerk sectional cutoff of the English section.
You can start with those topics in which you have good command and which seem easy in the exam. For instance – Fill in the blanks, Cloze Test, Sentence Improvement, Spotting Error, and Para jumbles.
Enroll in IBPS Clerk Online Coaching to get expert guidance, a wide variety of study material, PDFs, study notes, practice questions, and much more.
Topic-wise Weightage in IBPS Clerk Prelims 2022
Now, have a quick glance at the topics that are expected to be asked in this year’s IBPS Clerk Prelims exam as well as their weightage in the exam.
(You can expect the below-mentioned topics to be rotated in different shifts of this exam).
English Topics for IBPS Clerk Prelims 2022
1. Fill in the blanks – In IBPS Clerk Prelims Exam, it is expected that – you are required to fill in more than one blank.
Tips to solve this type of Question in an exam
(i) Read the statement carefully and choose the word from the options which is suitable for the answer.
(ii) Use the method of elimination by simultaneously checking which of the options best satisfies both the entries.
(iii) Also, you must ensure that the word you have inserted in the blank enables you to read the sentence smoothly and correctly.
You can attempt 3 questions from 5 questions on this topic.
2. Cloze Test – A passage with 5 blanks is expected to come in IBPS Clerk Prelims Exam. In this test, you are provided with a passage with a few blanks and you need to fill these blanks from the given options.
Tips to solve Cloze Test in the exam –
(i) In a passage mostly all the sentences are logically related to each other. This logic will give you an idea about the appropriate word for the blank space.
(ii) Sometimes you can easily spot the correct answer. If not, then eliminate the improbable options one by one and get the right answer.
(iii) Find a logical relation between all the provided options.
Try to attempt 3 questions from 5 questions from this topic if the other 2 questions seem difficult in answering.
3. Para jumbles – The objectives of these types of sentences are to rearrange the sentences in the original sequence. It consists of a group of sentences that have been jumbled up. Five or Six sentences are given in random order and you have to un-jumble all of them.
Tips to solve Para jumbles in an exam –
(i) Try to understand the basic idea of the given passage. It will help you to arrange sentences quickly. All you need to do is identify the logical connection between the sentences.
(ii) Generally, the given information in the jumbled sentences changes from general to specific. If you observe, you can see that the first few sentences are generic while those that follow are fact-specific and informative.
(iii) Sometimes, a good knowledge of options analysis helps to rule out the possible answers from the given options. This trick will save a lot of time.
(iv) The key is to find the first sentence quickly as it will give us a linear direction with respect to the given content.
(v) Similarly, guessing the concluding sentence will give you both the ends of the linear connecting idea.
(vi) Generally, sentences denoting time, place & name are the most probable opening lines.
4. Sentence Correction – In this topic, you have to find the correct alternatives which may improve the sentence. Sometimes there is no correction required then your answer will not improve.
Tips to solve Sentence Correction in Exam –
(i) Read the original sentence carefully and try to spot grammatical errors by identifying whether something “sounds” wrong.
(ii) Always look at every choice.
(iii) Even when the original sentence seems fine, pay attention to the grammar that it tests and look through the choices systematically to see if any provides a better option.
(iv) As you locate each error, eliminate all of the choices that contain that error.
(v) Do not read each answer choice back into the sentence individually; that wastes time and invites inaccuracy.
(vi) Instead, identify the differences among the choices and eliminate those that offer less effective or grammatically incorrect alternatives.
5. Spotting Error – You have to find the grammatical error in the sentence. Four to five questions are expected to come in the IBPS Clerk Prelims Exam. This type of question requires good grammatical sense.
Tips to solve Spotting Error in an exam –
(i) In order to solve questions on spotting errors, the first step you should take is to read the complete sentence carefully. In most cases, you will be able to detect the error in the first go itself.
(ii) While reading the entire sentence, you must carefully check the subject-verb agreement.
(iii) If you can still not detect the error or you are still unsure of the correct answer, then you must read each individual part of the sentence and closely examine which part consists of an error.
6. Reading Comprehension – In the English language, Reading Comprehension is given in the exam to judge the capability of understanding the passage and to analyze the problem from a correct perspective. The questions will not come direct and hence have to understand the passage to answer.
Reading Comprehension will be Story based? As we all know, in recent exams IBPS has increased the level of the questions which was unexpected, so we are not 100% sure whether Reading Comprehension will be Story-based or not in the upcoming IBPS Clerk Prelims Exam.
Tips to solve Reading Comprehension in the exam –
(i) Always try to attempt Antonym & synonym based questions first in this topic. Questions can be solved by noticing how the word is used in the sentence. Since a word can have multiple meanings, there can be more than one choice that gives the correct answer but only one choice will fit the word in a particular context.
(ii) Skim through the paragraph quickly to understand what the author is saying and also make notes of what sections of the comprehension talk about what ideas. This will help you find answers quickly after you have read the questions.
(iii)Time Saving Strategy: Do not try to attempt a question that is difficult to understand, or the answer to it is not easily traceable in the passage.
(iv) Never assume any answer or use any outside knowledge.
(v) Try to eliminate the least possible answers in order to reach the most probable answer.
In the Vocabulary part of the IBPS Clerk exam syllabus, questions come with topics like Error spotting, fill in the blanks, phrase replacement, and cloze test. Questions can come from any topic among these given ones so you should be prepared for all of them.
Always going through any article or any topic keep a note of new words you can derive out of it. If you face difficulty with it always check its meaning in the dictionary and try to retain it by relating it to a sentence or situation.
Read newspapers and books to increase vocabulary power. It is an endless topic so you must always keep the new words in mind. you should check the vocabulary section of our page to know where you stand.
You can also check the wordlist articles from the link below:
Manage your time wisely
Time management is very important. It is preferable to attempt around 19-20 questions of the English section in 20 minutes.
Keep the above tips in your mind and try to follow them in IBPS Clerk 2022 Prelims Exam surely you will clear the sectional cutoff of the English Language section.
If you are aiming to clear the IBPS RRB exam in 2022, then join the Online Classroom Program where you will get:
- Live Courses by Top Faculty
- Daily Study Plan
- Comprehensive Study Material
- Latest Pattern Test Series
- Complete Doubt Resolution
- Regular Assessments with Report Card
Why BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series?
- Get better at every level of your preparation with unlimited test series, based on the latest exam pattern.
- Assess areas of weaknesses & track improvements with in-depth performance analysis
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.