SSB Interview dates for NDA 1 2021 are yet to be declared. The result for the written examination has been released recently by UPSC on 30th June. Around 7500 Aspirants cleared the written examination & now the selected Aspirants will be called for the SSB process. SSB interview process analyzes Aspirants for OLQs (officer-like qualities) based on certain psyche/personality tests. It is a 4-5 day process that consists of 2 stages. Stage 1 has OIR & PPDT challenge through which Aspirants are screened & go for Stage 2 that has psychological tests, GTO Tasks, interviews, etc.
In the SSB interview, the GTO task consists of nine separate tasks, each of which is filled with excitement and physical activity. One of which is the Group Planning Exercise. Today, we'll discuss what a Group Planning Exercise is and what can be the best way to approach it.
What is Group Planning Exercise (GPE)?
- As the name implies, this assignment entails doing some planning with the group, and that is exactly what the task entails. The job is done with the entire group at once, generally after the two rounds of group discussion. Aspirants are given a circumstance with some challenges in this work, and they must address them effectively with adequate planning. A mapping model (often 3D) portraying the entire scene is also kept in front of them. GTO begins by reading the entire circumstance for Aspirants, in addition to covering and discussing the map model.
- Following that, cards are distributed to all Aspirants for 5 minutes so that they can peruse them and submit solutions on their own. After then, Aspirants must write down their thoughts on how they plan to address the problems under a time limit of (10-15) minutes. There are usually 4-5 problems, and you get around 10 to 15 minutes to write them down on paper. Following that, contenders must discuss the situation and, in the end, come up with a common solution.
Tips on How to do Well in Group Planning Exercise GPE
- First and foremost, pay attention when the GTO is presenting the situation and make sure you grasp the model. Always clear your doubts before beginning the activity, as they may arise during the task.
- Aspirants are always given a set number of problems in the GPE. Some of these circumstances require immediate attention, while others are less critical. Always choose your Problem Preference carefully because it demonstrates your logical approach to problem-solving.
- Always strive to do the assignment within the allotted time. Not only that but preparing things in a way that saves time is the finest thing you can do. This demonstrates your ability to manage your time.
- Instead of blaming someone else for a problem, strive to tackle it from the ground up. Take up the burden of responsibility and finish the job.
- However, practising and solving many GPE example cases before the SSB will undoubtedly help you gain an advantage over other Aspirants in the actual world.
- When dividing teams for the assigned tasks, do so correctly and only assign the necessary number of Aspirants to each assignment. There's no reason to add more Aspirants to a problem if they're not needed. This demonstrates the applicants' problem-solving talents as well as their organizational skills.
- You must be as observant as possible. Consider problem-solving options while keeping the entire map in mind, and don't forget to make use of all available resources. Vehicles, tools, individuals, and other resources are all examples of resources.
- There will always be different approaches or pathways to take in order to solve a problem. Always go with the greatest option for the situation and the one that takes the least amount of time to complete. This is a measure of your task awareness.
Do’s, Don'ts and Discussion Part for GPE
How to Compose a GPE Solution?
- Always state your top priority.
- The group's division must be indicated.
- It is necessary to use resources carefully.
- Make contact with the proper authorities.
- Mention the time and distance.
- The meeting location must be the same as where you were split up.
- Continue on the journey that you had planned.
What are the advantages of Producing a Proper Group Planning Exercise Solution?
Group Planning Exercise (GPE) is the second duty of the GTO battery, as you are all aware. You will be shown a Model that has a number of difficulties in this test. The test is divided into five stages, which are as follows:
- GTO only explains the model's many features once. He will tell you about the marks, orientation, scale, and other details of the model while lying on the ground.
- GTO reads a tale that has something to do with the model. The story has some difficulties in it, such as an injured person or any unsocial element lacking poison in milk, and so on. After the story, all doubts will be dispelled.
- You will be given a story card to read for 5 minutes, following which the card will be retrieved from you; any doubts or concerns will be addressed at the end.
- Following receiving the story card, you will be given a sheet of paper on which you must write your unique solution in 10 minutes, after which the sheet will be returned to you.
- In the last stage, the Aspirants must discuss their solutions for approximately (10-15) minutes, create a group plan, and one Aspirant from the group will be chosen to present the plan to GTO using a map.
A sample GPE or Example of GPE
- On the map, there will be about five issues. One will be serious in nature, such as a man who is bleeding heavily or someone unconscious. Such a problem should be given top priority. Then there will be a problem that puts the lives of a large number of people in jeopardy or causes a mass disaster; such issues are given second priority. There will be an issue in which an individual's life is threatened, but such concerns will be given third priority later.
- Finally, a minor issue will arise, such as a life jacket or camera being left behind, or livestock wandering into the jungle. Such a problem should be given the lowest priority, yet it should not be ignored. There will be no means of communication available. Aside from that, you must break your group into smaller teams and handle man-management effectively.
- You must also specify the mode of transportation (always prefer to convey the injured by ambulance or your own private vehicle to the District Hospital). Your actions must be clearly communicated, and you must specify the amount of time and distance travelled for each assignment. Aspirants frequently have problems calculating time and distance, so I've provided a method for you to simply compute it.
- If you're travelling by 4 wheeler on a metal road, your speed will be 60 km/hr; if you're travelling by 2 wheeler, your speed will be 40 km/hr. In this way, you can simply calculate time and distance.
The method for calculating time and distance is demonstrated below.
Hoping this article will help you in making the right strategy for GPE. Stay tuned for more such articles.
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.