States in India with Bicameral Legislature
States in India with Bicameral Legislature have two types of legislatures. The majority of Indian states have a Legislative Assembly. This system is known as the unicameral legislature. However, 6 states in India have both Legislative Assembly and the Legislative Council. This system is called the bicameral legislature.
The six states in India with Bicameral Legislature are as follows.
- Andhra Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh
Bicameral Legislature is a type of government with Two Houses in the legislature. This system of government dates back to 17th-century England and then spread to the United States and the rest of the Europe in 18th century.
Normally, the Indian Parliament consists of two houses that are Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha. Most states in India have a further single body in it known as Vidhan Sabha or State Legislative Assembly. However, there are few states in India that have a body that is in addition to Vidhan Sabha, also known as Vidhan Parishad.
It refers to the Legislative Council which is in the upper house of the State Legislature. Out of all the members, one-sixth have knowledge of arts and culture, which are selected by the Governor. Legislative Council has limited powers only. Constitution has not given it any power over the formation of a government or the passing of money bills.
How many states in India have a bicameral legislature?
There are six states in India with a bicameral legislature. These states include Odisha, Karnataka, Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Telangana, and Uttar Pradesh. There used to be 7 states with bicameral legislature in India before Jammu and Kashmir became union territory. Such states have both State Legislative Assembly and Legislative Council.
- Describe the factors that were responsible for the Civil War in Sri Lanka
- Which was the first country to grant women the right to vote in the year 1893?
- Describe the Powers and Functions of the Prime Minister of India
- Distinguish Between Birth Rate and Death Rate
- What changes did Napoleon introduce to make the administrative system more efficient?
- What type of clothes should we wear in summer?
- Why are Lysosomes known as suicide bags?
- How many players are there in a basketball team
Commentswrite a comment