- Incorrect: She is more stronger than her sister.
- Correct: She is stronger than her sister.
Rule 5: Farther and further are used in a different sense in a sentence. Farther refers to 'to, at or by a greater distance'.It is used to indicate the extent to which one thing or person is or becomes distant from another. Further means additional/ additional to what already exists or has already taken place, been done. For example :
- Incorrect: Bombay is further from Delhi then Agra.
- Correct: Bombay is farther from Delhi than Agra.
- Incorrect: Thailand is divided into 76 provinces, which are farther divided into over 800 districts.
- Correct: Thailand is divided into 76 provinces, which are further divided into over 800 districts.
Rule 6: Use much and many correctly. Much is used for 'Uncountable things' and Many is used for 'countable things'. For example :
- Incorrect: You have much books.
- Correct: You have many books.
- Incorrect: I have many work to do.
- Correct: I have much work to do.
Rule 7: Make proper use of Last and latest. Latest means ‘the most recent’. Last means ‘the previous one’. For example :
- Incorrect: Tell me the last news.
- Correct: Tell me the latest news.
Rule 8: Use less with uncountable nouns. Use fewer with countable nouns.
- Incorrect: I have less pen than you.
- Correct: I have fewer pen than you.
Rule 9: Quantifiers like all, both and half go before possessives.
- Incorrect: He wasted his all wealth.
- Correct: He wasted all his wealth.
Rule 10: When there is a comparison of any kind, use comparative or superlative degree only. Use of 'Positive degree' is wrong in such cases. For example :
- Incorrect: She is growing strong and strong every day.
- Correct: She is growing stronger and stronger every day.
Rule 11 : Note the pattern: that + adjective + a/an + noun
- Incorrect: I can’t afford that a big car.
- Correct: I can’t afford that big a car.
Rule 12: Use Later and Latter correctly. Later(adverb) is related to time. It means for something to happen in the future. Latter is an adjective to describe the second thing or person when we are talking about two things or two persons.
- Incorrect: Riya has two sisters, Reema and Rekha. The former is a doctor and the later is a lawyer.
- Correct: Riya has two sisters, Reema and Rekha. The former is a doctor and the latter is a lawyer.
- Incorrect: I am thinking to do this work latter as I am going for Movie now.
- Correct: I am thinking to do this work later as I am going for Movie now.
To provide maximum benefit to the students, we have launched a new course targetting SBI Clerk. So Gradians, with a proper approach and better guidance, now crack the exam with SBI Clerk 2021: Complete Course.
To start a free trial of this course, click on the link given below:
What will you get in this course?
- 250+ Interactive Live Classes
- 2000+ Interactive Quizzes
- 200+ PDFs
- 25+ Full-Length Mock Tests
Why Gradeup Green Card?
1. Avail recent trend Mock Tests which are designed by Exam Experts.
2. Detailed Question Level Solution Analysis.
3. Complete Performance Report along with Strength and Weakness Assessment.
4. Know your All India Rank.
5. Tips and tricks by experts to Crack the Exam.
All the best!
Sahi Prep Hai Toh Life Set Hai.
Grade up wishes you happy learning