Detailed GATE XE Syllabus 2023
The GATE XE syllabus 2023 carries 8 Sections in Engineering Science, out of which Engineering Mathematics (XE-A) is a compulsory section and will carry 15 marks in the exam. From the rest of the sections, candidates have to choose any two sections for the exam, where each section will carry 35 marks (2x35 = 70 marks). All the sections include important topics to be covered for exam preparation.
GATE XE Syllabus Sections
The sections included in the GATE Engineering Science syllabus are:
Engineering Mathematics - XE-A
Any TWO Optional Sections
Fluid mechanics - XE-B
Material Science - XE-C
Solid mechanics - XE-D
Thermodynamics - XE-E
Polymer Science and Engineering - XE-F
Food technology - XE-G
Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences - XE-H
Let us now discuss the GATE Engineering Sciences syllabus 2023 for all the abovementioned sections.
Download GATE XE Syllabus PDF
We have provided a separate PDF of each Section in the GATE Engineering Science syllabus for candidates to download and prepare as per their choice and convenience. It is suggested to save the syllabus on your devices to get help from the same whenever you want. Follow the link to download the visual syllabus:
GATE XE-A Syllabus 2023
The Engineering Mathematics(XE-A) section of the GATE Engineering Science syllabus 2023 is compulsory. This is applied mathematics, which is useful in many fields and is one of the compulsory parts. This Section has seven 1-mark questions and four 2-mark questions, making its score worth equal to 15-marks. The topics included in this Section are:
- Linear Algebra
- Vector Calculus
- Ordinary Differential Equations
- Partial Differential Equations
- Probability and Statistics
- Numerical Methods
GATE XE-B Syllabus 2023
The Fluid Mechanics section of the GATE XE syllabus 2023 carries Buoyancy, differential analysis, fluid properties, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Flow and Fluid Properties- Density, viscosity, surface tension, the relationship between stress and strain rate for Newtonian fluids, Viscous versus inviscid flows, etc.
- Kinematics of Fluid Motion- Eulerian and Lagrangian descriptions of fluid motion, local, convective and material derivatives, etc.
- Integral Analysis for a Control Volume- Reynolds Transport Theorem (RTT) for conserving mass, linear and angular momentum.
- Differential Analysis- Differential equations of mass and momentum for incompressible flows, Inviscid flows - Euler equations and viscous flows, etc.
- Dimensional Analysis- Concept of geometric, kinematic, and dynamic similarity, Buckingham Pi theorem and its applications, etc.
- Internal Flows- Fully developed pipe flow, Empirical relations for laminar and turbulent flows: friction factor, Darcy-Weisbach relation, and Moody’s chart, Major and minor losses.
- Bernoulli’s Equation and its Applications- Bernoulli’s equation: Assumptions and applications
- Flow measurements - Venturi meter, Pitot-static tube, orifice meter, Elementary potential flows.
- External Flows- Prandtl boundary layer equations: Concept and assumptions, Boundary layer characteristics
GATE XE-C Syllabus 2023
The Materials Science section of GATE Engineering Science syllabus 2023 carries topics such as degradation of metals, thermodynamics, kinetics, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
Classification and Structure of Materials
Properties and Applications of Materials
Processing of Materials, Degradation of Materials
Characterization and Measurements of Properties
Thermodynamics, Kinetics, and Phase Transformations
GATE XE-D Syllabus 2023
The Solid Mechanics section of GATE Engineering Science syllabus 2023 carries topics such as Friction, the Law of conservation of energy, and stress & strain. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Mechanics of rigid bodies- Equivalent force systems; free-body diagrams, equilibrium equations; analysis of determinate trusses and frames, Friction, Principle of minimum potential energy, Particle kinematics, and dynamics, Dynamics of rigid bodies under the planar motion. Law of conservation of energy, and Law of conservation of momentum.
- Mechanics of deformable bodies- Stresses and strain, Transformation of stresses and strains, principal stresses and strains, Mohr’s circle for plane stress and plane strain;
- Generalized Hooke’s Law, Elastic constants; thermal stresses, Theories of failure, Axial force, shear force, and bending moment diagrams, Axial, shear, and bending stresses, Combined stresses, Deflection (for symmetric bending), Torsion in circular shafts, Thin-walled pressure vessels, Energy methods (Castigliano’s Theorems) and Euler buckling
- Vibrations- Free vibration of undamped single degree of freedom systems
GATE XE-E Syllabus 2023
The Thermodynamics section of GATE XE syllabus 2023 carries topics such as Internal energy, enthalpy, entropy, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Basic Concepts- Continuum and macroscopic approach, Thermodynamic systems (closed and open), Thermodynamic properties and equilibrium, State of a system, state postulate for simple compressible substances, state diagrams, paths and processes on state diagrams, Concepts of heat and work, different modes of work, Zeroth law of thermodynamics, and Concept of temperature.
- First Law of Thermodynamics- Concept of energy and various forms of energy, Internal energy, enthalpy, Specific heats, First Law applied to elementary processes, closed systems and control volumes, steady and unsteady flow analysis.
- Second Law of Thermodynamics- Limitations of the First Law of thermodynamics, concepts of heat engines and heat pumps/refrigerators, Kelvin-Planck and Clausius statements and their equivalence, Reversible and irreversible processes, Carnot cycle and Carnot principles/theorems, Thermodynamic temperature scale, Clausius inequality and Concept of entropy microscopic interpretation of entropy, the principle of increase of entropy, T-s diagrams, Second law analysis of control volume, Availability, and irreversibility, and Third Law of thermodynamics
- Properties of Pure Substances- Thermodynamic properties of pure substances in solid, liquid, and vapour phases, P-v-T behavior of simple compressible substances, phase rule, thermodynamic property tables and charts, ideal and real gas, ideal gas equation of state, and van der Waals equation of state, Law of corresponding states, compressibility factor, and generalized compressibility chart.
- Thermodynamic Relations- T-ds relations, Helmholtz and Gibbs functions, Gibbs relations, Maxwell relations, Joule-Thomson coefficient, coefficient of volume expansion, adiabatic and isothermal compressibilities, Clapeyron, and Clapeyron-Clausius equations.
- Thermodynamic Cycles- Carnot vapor cycle, ideal Rankine cycle, Rankine Reheat cycle, Air-standard Otto cycle, air-standard Diesel cycle, Air-standard Brayton cycle, vapor-compression refrigeration cycle.
- Ideal Gas Mixtures- Dalton’s and Amagat’s laws, properties of ideal gas mixtures, Air-water vapour mixtures and simple thermodynamic processes involving them, Specific and relative humidities, dew point, and wet bulb temperature, Adiabatic saturation temperature, psychrometric chart
GATE XE-F Syllabus 2023
The Polymer Science and Engineering section of the GATE Engineering Science syllabus carries topics such as polymer blends, rheology, recycling, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
Chemistry of high polymers
Synthesis, manufacturing, and properties
Polymer Technology, Polymer rheology
Polymer blends and composites
Polymer processing, Polymer testing
Polymer Recycling and Waste management
GATE XE-G Syllabus 2023
The Food Technology section of the GATE Engineering Science syllabus includes the following topics- Food Chemistry and Nutrition, Food Microbiology, Food Products Technology, and Food Engineering.
GATE XE-H Syllabus 2023
The Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences section of GATE Engineering Science syllabus 2023 carries various important topics, which are as follows- Atmospheric Science Vertical Structure and Composition of the Atmosphere, Blackbody Radiation and Radiation Balance, Modes of Heat Transfer in the Atmosphere, Ocean Sciences, Chemical Properties of Seawater, Major and Minor Elements, Ocean Acidification.
Candidates can opt for any two sections from Section B-H, along with Engineering Mathematics and General Aptitude, which are compulsory for all XE candidates.
GATE XE Syllabus Important Topics
Check out these important topics from the GATE XE syllabus, which might carry the most weight in the upcoming exam. Candidates shall prepare these topics with utmost care and dedication. These topics from the GATE Engineering Science syllabus can be a major game-changer for ranking in the upcoming exam:
- Engineering Mathematics
- Polymer Technology, Polymer rheology
- Polymer processing, Polymer testing
- Properties of Pure Substances
- First Law of Thermodynamics
- Mechanics of rigid bodies
- Characterization and Measurements of Properties
- Flow measurements
- Differential Analysis