Detailed GATE Textile Engineering and Fibre Science Syllabus 2023
The core subject of the GATE Textile Engineering and Fibre Science (TF) syllabus 2023 comprises 72% of the syllabus. However, Engineering Mathematics and General Aptitude sections comprise 13% and 15% respectively. The syllabus is broadly divided into five major sections mentioned below.
- Textile Fibers
- Yarn Manufacturer, Yarn Structure, and Properties
- Fabric Manufacture, Structure, and Properties
- Textile Testing
- Chemical Testing
Further, let us discuss these topics in detail.
GATE Textile Engineering Syllabus 2023 General Aptitude
The General Aptitude section of the GATE Textile Engineering and Fibre Science syllabus 2023 constitutes the following topics- English grammar, Sentence completion, Instructions, Verbal analogies, Word groups, Critical reasoning, Verbal deduction, Numerical computation, Numerical reasoning, Numerical estimation, and Data interpretation.
GATE Textile Engineering Syllabus 2023 Engineering Mathematics
The Engineering Mathematics section of the GATE Textile Engineering and Fibre Science syllabus 2023 includes the following topics- Linear Algebra, Calculus, Numerical Methods, Probability, etc. Let us check these topics in detail listed in the table below.
Matrices and Determinants, Systems of linear equations, Eigenvalues and eigenvectors.
Gradient, Divergence and Curl, Line, surface and volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems.
Limit, continuity and differentiability, Partial Derivatives, Maxima and minima, Sequences and series, Test for convergence, and Fourier series.
Probability and Statistics
Mean, median, mode and standard deviation, Random variables, Poisson, normal and binomial distributions, Correlation and regression analysis.
Linear and non-linear first order ODEs, Higher order linear ODEs with constant coefficients, Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Laplace transforms, PDEs –Laplace, heat and wave equations.
Solutions of linear and nonlinear algebraic equations, integration of trapezoidal and Simpson’s rule, single and multi-step methods for differential equations.
GATE Textile Engineering Syllabus-Textile Fibers
The Textile Fiber section of the GATE Textile Engineering and Fibre Science syllabus 2023 includes various topics like IR Spectroscopy, spinning of acrylic, wet spinning, texturing methods, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Textile fibre classification, Fibre forming polymer essential requirements, Natural fibres such as cotton, wool, and silk have gross and fine structures, basics of bast fibres, Natural and synthetic fibres, Fibre and mix identification and analysis using physical and chemical methods.
- Glass transition, plasticization, crystallisation, melting, Molecular architecture, amorphous and crystalline phases, Molecular architecture, amorphous and crystalline phases, Molecular architecture, amorphous and crystalline phases, Molecular architecture, Principles of wet spinning, dry spinning, dry-jet-wet spinning and gel spinning, Spinning of acrylic, viscose and other regenerated cellulosic fibres such as polynosic and lyocell, Drawing, heat setting, and tow-to-top conversion are examples of post-spinning activities, and Texturing techniques.
- Methods of investigating fibre structure such as density, x-ray diffraction, birefringence, optical and electron microscopy such as SEM and TEM, I.R. spectroscopy, thermal methods such as DSC, DMA, TMA and TGA, Structure and morphology of man-made fibres, Mechanical properties of fibres, Moisture sorption of fibres, Fiber structure-property correlation.
GATE TF Syllabus- Yarn Manufacture, Yarn Structure, and Properties
The Yarn Manufacture, Yarn Structure, and Properties section of the GATE Textile Engineering syllabus 2023 includes various topics like Card sets, card clothing, friction, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Principles of roller drawing, Roller arrangements in drafting systems, Periodic mass variation in drawn sliver, Drawframe Autoleveller, Principles of cotton combing, Combing cycle and mechanisms, Principles of ginning, Principles of opening, cleaning and blending, Conventional vs. modern carding machine, Card setting, Card clothing, Periodic mass variation in card sliver, Card auto leveller.
- Recent advancements in the field of combing machines, In roving formation, principles of drafting, twisting, and bobbin construction, Recent advancements in roving machine technology, In ring spinning, the principles of drafting, twisting, and policeman construction, End breakages and their causes, difference between a single yarn twist and a folded yarn twist, compact, rotor, air-jet, air-vortex, friction, core, wrap, and twistless spinning processes.
- The fibre packing density of yarn, Yarn diameter, Yarn twist and its relationship to yarn strength, Influence of fibre geometry, configuration, and orientation in yarn, Yarn contraction, Fibre migration in yarns, Helical arrangement of fibres in yarns, Structure-property relationship in the ring, compact, rotor, air-jet, and friction spun yarns, Stress-strain relationship in yarn, Mass irregularity of yarn.
GATE TF Syllabus- Fabric Manufacture, Structure, and Properties
The Fabric Manufacture, Structure, and Properties section of the GATE Textile Engineering and Fibre Science syllabus 2023 includes various topics like Tappet, Cam designing, types of selvedges, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Principles of winding processes, Classification of winding methods, Patterning mechanism, Yarn clearers and tensioners, Different systems of yarn splicing, Warping objectives and classification, Different types of warping creels, Features of the beam and sectional warping machines, Different sizing systems, Sizing of spun and filament yarns, Drawing-in process, Principles of pirn winding.
- Shedding motion, Primary and secondary loom motions Shedding mechanisms that are both positive and detrimental, Shed types include: Shedding on tappets, dobbies, and jacquards, insertion of the weft, Weft insertion mechanics with a shuttle, Picking and checking shuttles, Beat-up, Sleeve kinematics, Diagram of loom time, Cam is in charge of design. Fabric formation as a result of sley setting and cam profile, projectile, rapier, water-jet, and air-jet, Multiphase and circular loom principles of operation, Selvedges come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
- Basic woven fabric constructions and their derivatives, crepe, cord, terry, gauze, leno and double cloth constructions, Drawing and lifting plans.
- Fundamentals of weft knitting, Classification of weft knitting technologies, Weft knitted constructions such as plain, rib, interlock and purl, Different knit stitches such as loop, tuck and float.
- Warp knitting principles, classification of warp knitting technology, Guide bar swinging and shogging motion, pillar, tricot, atlas, inlay, and nets are all basic warp knit constructions. Nonwovens fibre preparation procedures, Processes of web creation and bonding Melt-blowing and spun-bonding technology, Applications of Nonwoven fabrics.
- Braiding principles, braiding style, Maypole braiding is a technique for braiding maypoles.
- Peirce's equations for the geometry of plain-woven fabrics, plain-woven fabric elastic model, Weaving cloth thickness, coverage, and maximum set, Plain weft-knitted loop geometry, For plain weft knitted materials, Munden's constants and tightness factor, Tubular braid geometry.
GATE Textile Engineering Syllabus- Textile Testing
The Textile testing section of the GATE Textile Engineering and Fibre Science syllabus 2023 consists of various topics such as compressibility, air permeability, evenness testing, etc. Let us discuss these topics in the table below.
|Techniques for sampling fibres, yarns, and textiles||Sampling mistakes and sample size||Linear density of sliver, roving and yarn|
|Moisture in textiles||Fibre length, fineness, crimp, maturity and trash content||Yarn fault measurement and analysis|
|Tensile testing of fibres||High volume fibre testing||Tensile testing of yarns|
|Fabric thickness, stiffness, shear, drape, crease recovery||Fabrics with high thermal resistance||Transmission of water vapour through fabrics|
|Yarn twist and hairiness||Yarn tensile testing||Wetting and wicking|
GATE Textile Engineering Syllabus- Chemical Testing
The Chemical testing section of the GATE Textile Engineering and Fibre Science syllabus 2023 consists of various topics such as Singeing, dyeing of cotton, dye-fibre interaction, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Impurities in natural fibre, Singeing, Chemistry and practice of preparatory processes for cotton, Preparatory processing of wool and silk, Mercerization of cotton, Preparatory processes for manmade fibres and their blends, Optical brightening agent.
- Classification of dyes, Dyeing of cotton, wool, silk, polyester, nylon and acrylic with appropriate classes of dyes,
- Polyester/cotton and polyester/wool blends dyeing, machines for dyeing, Cotton knitted fabric dyeing techniques and machinery, Interaction of dye and fibre, Introduction to dyeing thermodynamics and kinetics, Brief idea about the relation between colour and chemical constitution, Beer-Lambert’s law.
- Thickeners of several types, Auxiliary printing, printing with pigments, Polyester transfer printing, Printing with inkjet, Errors in printing
- Cotton that is stiff, soft, wrinkle-resistant, water repellent, flame retardant, and enzyme finished, Milling, democratizing and shrink resistant finishing of wool, Anti-static and soil release finishing, Heat setting of synthetic fabrics, Minimum application techniques.
- Pollution control and treatment of effluents.
GATE Textile Engineering Syllabus PDF Download
Candidates can also check the GATE Textile Engineering and Fibre Science syllabus 2023 provided in PDF format for convenience. Download the syllabus and check out the section-wise elucidated syllabus.
Best Books for GATE Textile Engineering Syllabus
Here is a list of important books to cover the GATE Textile Engineering and Fibre Science syllabus. Candidates should refer to the best and most accurate books in order to prepare for the upcoming examination.
|Name of Books||Author|
|Advanced Engineering Mathematics||Erwin Kreyszig|
|Developments in Science & Technology||Kalpana Rajaram|
|Textile Processing and Properties||Vigo TL Vigo Vigo|
|Dyeing & Chemical Technology of Textile Fibres||E. R. Trotman|
Online Classroom Program:
Avail Test Series:
All the Best