What is GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus 2023?
GATE Petroleum Engineering syllabus 2023 is the set of topics necessary for the upcoming exam. The questions in the exam will be formulated based on the GATE syllabus for Petroleum Engineering. It consists of three sections- General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics and Core Discipline. The General Aptitude section constitutes 15% of the total weightage while Engineering Mathematics and Petroleum Engineering constitute 13% and 72% weightage respectively.
The core subject of the GATE PE syllabus consists of various sections mentioned below.
Oil and Gas Well Drilling Technology
Petroleum Formation Evaluation
Oil and Gas Well Testing
Enhanced Oil Recovery Techniques
Latest trends in Petroleum Engineering
Environment in Petroleum Industry
Petroleum Production Operations
Let us discuss these topics in detail below.
GATE PE Syllabus Engineering Mathematics
The Engineering Mathematics section of the GATE syllabus for Petroleum Engineering consists of various topics such as differential equations, matrices, Integrals, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Linear Algebra: Matrix algebra, systems of linear equations, consistency and rank, Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors.
- Calculus: Mean value theorems, theorems of integral calculus, partial derivatives, maxima and minima, multiple integrals, Fourier series, vector identities, line, surface and volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems.
- Differential equations: First order equation (linear and nonlinear), second-order linear differential equations with constant coefficients, Method of variation of parameters, Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Initial and boundary value problems, solution of partial differential equations: variable separable method.
- Analysis of complex variables: Analytic functions, Cauchy’s integral theorem and integral formula, Taylor’s and Laurent’s series, residue theorem, solution of integrals.
- Probability and Statistics: Sampling theorems, conditional probability, mean, median, mode, standard deviation and variance; random variables: discrete and continuous distributions: normal, Poisson and binomial distributions.
- Numerical Methods: Matrix inversion, solutions of nonlinear algebraic equations, iterative methods for solving differential equations, numerical integration, regression and correlation analysis.
GATE PE Syllabus Petroleum Exploration
The Petroleum Exploration section of the GATE Petroleum Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various topics such as Classification and description of some common rocks with special reference to clastic and non-clastic reservoir rocks. Origin, migration and accumulation of Petroleum. Petroleum exploration methods.
GATE PE Syllabus Oil and Gas Well Drilling Technology
The Oil and gas well drilling technology section of the GATE Petroleum Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various topics such as drill string, fluid maintenance, drill bit types, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Well planned. Drilling method, Drilling rigs, and Rig operating systems.
- Drilling fluids function and properties, Drilling fluid maintenance equipment.
- Oil & gas well-cementing operations, Drill bit types and their applications, Drill string & Casing string function, operations, selection & design.
- Drilling problems, their control & remedies, Directional drilling tools, Directional survey. Application of horizontal, multilateral, extended reach, and slim wells.
GATE PE Syllabus Reservoir Engineering
The Reservoir Engineering section of the GATE Petroleum Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various topics such as water and gas coming, reservoir drives, pressure measurements, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
Petrophysical properties of reservoir rocks, Coring and core analysis.
Reservoir drives, drive mechanics, and recovery factors
Phase behavior of hydrocarbon system.
The flow of fluids through porous media.
Water and gas coming
Reserve estimation techniques.
Reservoir pressure measurements
Reservoir fluid properties.
GATE PE Syllabus Petroleum Production Operations
The Petroleum Production Operations section of the GATE Petroleum Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various topics such as processing of oil & gas, storage tanks, formation damage, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
Well equipment, Well-completion techniques, Well servicing & Workover operations.
Well stimulation techniques, Well production problems and mitigation
Production system analysis & optimization.
Workover & completion of fluids
Storage and transportation of petroleum and petroleum products
Nodal system analysis
Metering and measurements of oil & gas
Pressure vessels, storage tanks, shell and tube heat exchangers,
Artificial lift techniques
Field processing of oil & gas
Pumps and compressors
LNG value chain
Multiphase flow in tubing and flow lines
Offshore Drilling and Production Practices
The Offshore drilling and production practices section of the GATE syllabus for Petroleum Engineering consists of various topics such as well completion, water injection platforms, SPM, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Offshore oil and gas operations & ocean environment. Offshore fixed platforms, Offshore mobile units, Station keeping methods like mooring & dynamic positioning system.
- Offshore drilling from a fixed platform, jack-up, ships and semi-submersibles. Use of conductors and risers. Offshore well completion.
- Deepwater applications of subsea technology. Offshore production: Oil processing platforms, water injection platforms, storage, SPM and SBM transportation and utilities. Deepwater drilling rig. Deepwater production system. Emerging deepwater technologies.
GATE PE Syllabus Petroleum Formation Evaluation
The Petroleum Formation Evaluation section of the GATE Petroleum Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various topics such as SFT, NMR, logging tools, deepwater, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Evaluation of petrophysical of sub-surface formations: Principles applications, advantages and disadvantages of SP, resistivity, radioactive, acoustic logs and types of tools used.
- Evaluation of CBL/VDL, USIT, SFT, RFT. Production logging tools, principles, limitations, deepwater, and applications. The special type of logging tools.
- Casing inspection tools (principles, applications, and limitations), Formations micro scanner (FMS), NMR logging principles. Standard log interpretation methods. Cross-plotting methods.
GATE PE Syllabus Oil and Gas Well Testing
The Oil and gas well testing section of the GATE syllabus for Petroleum Engineering consists of various topics- Diffusivity equation, derivation & solutions. The radius of investigation. Principle of superposition. Horner’s approximation. Drill Stem Testing, Pressure Transient Tests: Drawdown and buildup- test analysis. Wellbore effects. Multilayer reservoirs. Injection well testing. Multiple well testing. Interference testing, Pulse testing, well-test analysis by use of type curves, and Gas well testing.
Health Safety and Environment in Petroleum Industry
The Health Safety and Environment section of the GATE Petroleum Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various topics such as oil spills, oil spill control, safety system, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail:
Health hazards in Petroleum Industry: Toxicity, Physiological, Asphyxiation, respiratory and skin effect of petroleum hydrocarbons, sour gases.
Safety System: Manual & automatic shutdown system, blowdown systems, Gas detection system. Fire detection and suppression systems, Personal protection systems & measures, HSE Policies, and Disaster & crisis management in the Petroleum Industry.
Environment: Environment concepts, impact on the ecosystem, air, water, and soil.
The impact of drilling & production operations on the environment, Environmental transport of petroleum wastes. Offshore environmental studies. Offshore oil spill and oil spill control. Waste treatment methods.
GATE PE Syllabus Enhanced Oil Recovery Techniques
The Enhanced Oil recovery techniques section of the GATE syllabus for Petroleum Engineering consists of various topics such as Basic principles and mechanism of EOR, Screening of the EOR process. Concept of pattern flooding, recovery efficiency, permeability heterogeneity. Macroscopic and microscopic displacement efficiency, EOR methods: Chemical flooding, Miscible flooding, Thermal recoveries (steam stimulation, hot water & steam flooding, in-situ combustion), MicrobialEOR.
GATE PE Syllabus Latest trends in Petroleum Engineering
The latest trends in the Petroleum Engineering section of the GATE Petroleum Engineering syllabus 2023 consist of various topics such as Coal bed methane, shale gas, oil shale, gas hydrate, and heavy oil and Petroleum Engineering.
Download GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus 2023 PDF
From the link provided below, candidates can download the GATE Petroleum Engineering syllabus 2023 PDF. Candidates can prepare for the upcoming exam by using the PDF or taking the printout of the same in order to keep the syllabus handy. Follow the link provided below to download the GATE Petroleum Engineering syllabus:
Download GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus 2023 PDF
GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus 2023 Books
Here is a list of the important books for covering the GATE Petroleum Engineering syllabus. Candidates are advised to prepare only with trusted books from renowned writers and publications. The list of the books for the GATE syllabus for Petroleum Engineering along with their author is given below:
Name of the Book
Petroleum Formation Evaluation
Elements of Petroleum Geology
Richard C. Selley
Geology Of Petroleum
A.I. Levorsen, 1954
Drilling Operation Practice Manual
Commentswrite a comment