Detailed GATE Mining Engineering Syllabus 2023
The GATE Mining Engineering syllabus 2023 has 5 subjects in the core subject. The core subjects include topics such as Mining Geology, Mine Development and Surveying; Geomechanics and Ground Control; Mining Methods and Machinery; Surface Environment, Mine Ventilation and Underground Hazards; Mine Economics, Mine Planning, and Systems Engineering.
The GATE Mining Engineering syllabus 2023 is divided into three major sections which are as follows:
- General Aptitude (GA)
- Engineering Mathematics
- Mining Engineering
The detailed GATE syllabus for Mining Engineering 2023 is discussed below.
GATE MN Syllabus- General Aptitude
The General Aptitude section of the GATE Mining Engineering syllabus constitutes the following topics- English grammar, Sentence completion, Instructions, Verbal analogies, Word groups, Critical reasoning, Verbal deduction, Numerical computation, Numerical reasoning, Numerical estimation, and Data interpretation.
GATE MN Syllabus- Engineering Mathematics
The Engineering Mathematics section of the GATE syllabus for Mining Engineering consists of various topics such as differential equations, matrices, Integrals, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Linear Algebra: Matrix algebra, systems of linear equations, consistency and rank, Eigenvalues, and Eigenvectors.
- Calculus: Mean value theorems, theorems of integral calculus, partial derivatives, maxima and minima, multiple integrals, Fourier series, vector identities, line, surface and volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems.
- Differential equations: First order equation (linear and nonlinear), second-order linear differential equations with constant coefficients, Method of variation of parameters, Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Initial and boundary value problems, solution of partial differential equations: variable separable method.
- Analysis of complex variables: Analytic functions, Cauchy’s integral theorem and integral formula, Taylor’s and Laurent’s series, residue theorem, solution of integrals.
- Probability and Statistics: Sampling theorems, conditional probability, mean, median, mode, standard deviation and variance; random variables: discrete and continuous distributions: normal, Poisson, and binomial distributions.
- Numerical Methods: Matrix inversion, solutions of nonlinear algebraic equations, iterative methods for solving differential equations, numerical integration, regression, and correlation analysis.
GATE MN Syllabus- Mining Geology, Mine Development, and Surveying
The Mining geology, mine development, and surveying section of the GATE Mining Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various topics such as GPS, GIS, Ore genesis, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
|Mining Geology||Minerals, Rocks and their Origin, Classification, Ore Genesis; Structural Geology.|
|Methods of access to deposits; Underground drivages; Drilling methods and machines; Explosives and energetics, blasting devices, blast design practices; Rock-Tool Interaction applicable to mechanical cutting systems and their selection.|
Levels and leveling, theodolite, tacheometry, triangulation; Contouring; Errors and adjustments; Correlation; Underground surveying; Curves; Photogrammetry; EDM, Total Station, GPS, Basics of GIS, and remote sensing.
GATE MN Syllabus- Geomechanics and Ground Control
The Geomechanics and ground control section of the GATE Mining Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various topics such as pillar designing, theories of rock failure, free body diagrams etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Engineering Mechanics: Equivalent force systems; Equations of equilibrium; Two-dimensional frames and trusses; Free body diagrams; Friction forces; Particle kinematics and dynamics; Beam analysis.
- Geomechanics: Geo-technical properties of rocks; Rock mass classification; Instrumentation and in-situ stress measurement techniques; Theories of rock failure; Ground vibrations; Stress distribution around mine openings; Subsidence; Slope stability.
- Ground Control: Design of pillars; Roof supporting systems; Mine filling. Strata Control and Monitoring Plan.
GATE MN Syllabus- Mining Methods and Machinery
The Mining methods and machinery section of the GATE Mining Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various topics such as material handling, ore handling, wire ropes etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
|Mining Methods||Surface mining: layout, development, loading, transportation and mechanization, continuous surface mining systems; high wall mining; Underground coal mining: bord and pillar systems, room and pillar mining, longwall mining, thick seam mining methods, Underground metal mining: open, supported and caved stopping methods, stope mechanization, ore handling systems.|
|Mining Machinery||Generation and transmission of mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic power; Materials handling: wire ropes, haulages, conveyors, face and development machinery, hoisting systems, pumps; comminution methods and machinery.|
GATE MN Syllabus- Surface Environment, Mine Ventilation and Underground Hazards
The Surface environment, Mine ventilation, and underground hazards section of the GATE syllabus for Mining Engineering consists of various topics such as pollution, accident data analysis, rescue apparatus etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Surface Environment: Air, water and soil pollution: Standards of quality, causes and dispersion of contamination and control; Noise pollution and control; Land reclamation; EIA.
- Mine Ventilation: Underground atmosphere; Heat load sources and thermal environment; air cooling; Mechanics of air flow, distribution, natural and mechanical ventilation; Mine fans and their usage; Auxiliary ventilation; Ventilation survey and planning; Ventilation networks.
- Underground Hazards: Mine Gases, Methane drainage; Underground hazards from fires, explosions, dust and inundation; Rescue apparatus and practices; Safety management plan; Accident data analysis; assessment; Mine lighting; Mine legislation; Occupational health and safety.
GATE MN Syllabus- Mine Economics, Mine Planning, Systems Engineering
The Mine economics, mine planning and system engineering section of the GATE Mining Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various topics such as mineral taxation, geostatistics, concepts of reliability etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
|Mineral resource classification; Discounted cash flow analysis; Mine valuation; Mineral taxation.|
Sampling methods, practices and interpretation; Reserve estimation techniques: Basics of geostatistics and quality control; Optimization of facility location; Mine planning and its components, Determination of mine size and mine life; Ultimate pit configuration and its determination, Optimum mill cut-off grade and its determination, Stope planning, Design of haul road.
|Systems Engineering||Concepts of reliability; Reliability of simple systems; Maintainability and availability; Linear programming, transportation and assignment problems; Network analysis; Inventory models; Queuing theory; Decision trees.|
GATE Mining Engineering Syllabus PDF Download
The GATE Mining Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of three sections- General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics, and Mining Engineering. Further, we have provided the syllabus in PDF format so that candidates can download the syllabus and prepare effectively.
Best Books for GATE Mining Engineering Syllabus
Given below is the list of best books for the GATE Mining Engineering Syllabus that will help the candidates in their selection of an ideal book for the preparation.
|Name of Books||Author|
|English for Competitive Exam||Hari Mohan Prasad|
|Advanced Engineering Mathematics||RK Jain|
|Elements of Mining Technology||Deshmukh|
Online Classroom Program:
Avail Test Series:
All the Best