Detailed GATE Metallurgical Engineering Syllabus 2023
GATE Metallurgical Engineering syllabus 2023 is divided into two sections- General Aptitude (GA) and topics from Metallurgy. The General Aptitude section has a weightage of about 15% in the exam. The syllabus consists of seven sections mentioned below:
- Engineering Mathematics
- Metallurgical Thermodynamics
- Transport Phenomena and Rate Processes
- Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy
- Physical Metallurgy
- Mechanical Metallurgy
- Manufacturing Process
Further, let us now discuss the GATE Metallurgy syllabus 2023 in detail.
GATE Metallurgy Syllabus - Engineering Mathematics
The Engineering Mathematics section of the GATE Metallurgical Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of topics such as Numerical Methods, Probability, Euler’s equations, etc. Let us discuss the important topics of this section in detail.
- Linear Algebra: Matrices and Determinants, Systems of linear equations, Eigenvalues, and Eigenvectors.
- Calculus: Limit, Continuity, Differentiability, Partial derivatives, Maxima and minima, Sequences and series, Test for convergence, and Fourier series.
- Vector Calculus: Gradient, Divergence, Curl, line, Surface and volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss, and Green’s theorems.
- Differential Equations: Linear and non-linear first order ODEs, Higher-order linear ODEs with constant coefficients, Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Laplace transforms, PDEs –Laplace, one-dimensional heat and wave equations.
- Probability and Statistics: Definitions of probability and sampling theorems, conditional probability, mean, median, mode and standard deviation, Random variables, Poisson, normal and binomial distributions, Analysis of experimental data, and Linear least-squares method.
- Numerical Methods: Solutions of linear and non-linear algebraic equations, Integration by trapezoidal and Simpson’s rule, Single and multi-step methods for differential equations.
GATE Metallurgy Syllabus - Metallurgical Thermodynamics
The Metallurgical Thermodynamics section of the GATE Metallurgical Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various topics such as Ellingham and phase stability diagrams, Chemical potential, free energy, etc. Let us discuss the important topics of this section in detail.
|Laws of thermodynamics|
First law – Energy conservation, Second law – entropy
Enthalpy, Gibbs and Helmholtz free energy
Maxwell’s relations, Chemical potential
Applications to metallurgical systems, solutions, ideal and regular solutions
Gibbs phase rule, phase equilibria, binary phase diagram and lever rule, free-energy vs. composition diagrams
Equilibrium constant, Activity, Ellingham, and phase stability diagrams
Thermodynamics of point defects, surfaces and interfaces, adsorption and segregation phenomena
Single electrode potential, Electrochemical cells, Nernst equation, Potential-pH diagrams
GATE Metallurgy Syllabus - Transport Phenomena and Rate Processes
The Transport Phenomena and Rate processes section of the GATE Metallurgical Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of the following important topics.
- Momentum transfer: Concept of viscosity, shell balances, Bernoulli’s equation, mechanical energy balance equation, flow past plane surfaces and through pipes.
- Heat transfer: Conduction, Fourier’s Law, 1-D steady-state conduction.
- Convection: Heat transfer coefficient relations for forced convection.
- Radiation: Black body radiation, Stefan-Boltzman Law, Kirchhoff’s Law.
- Mass transfer: Diffusion and Fick’s laws, mass transfer coefficients.
- Dimensional analysis: Buckingham Pi theorem, Significance of dimensionless numbers.
- Basic laws of chemical kinetics: First-order reactions, the reaction rate constant, Arrhenius relation, heterogeneous reactions, oxidation kinetics.
- Electrochemical kinetics: Polarization.
GATE Metallurgy Syllabus - Mineral Processing & Extractive Metallurgy
The Mineral Processing and Extractive metallurgy section of the GATE Metallurgical Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of topics such as Ironmaking, oxidation reactions and inclusion control, etc. Further, let us discuss the topics in detail.
Size classification, Flotation, Gravity, and other methods of mineral beneficiation
Agglomeration: sintering, pelletizing and briquetting
|Material and Energy balances|
Principles and processes for the extraction of non-ferrous metals – aluminum, copper, and titanium
|Iron and steel making|
Material and heat balance in blast furnace
Structure and properties of slags and molten salts – basicity of slags – sulfide and phosphate capacity of slags
Production of metallurgical coke,
Other methods of iron making (COREX, MIDRE)
Basic oxygen furnace, process dynamics, oxidation reactions, electric arc furnace
Ladle process- deoxidation, argon stirring, desulphurization, inclusion shape control, principles of degassing methods; Basics of stainless steel manufacturing
Fluid flow in the tundish and mould, heat transfer in the mould, segregation, inclusion control
GATE Metallurgy Syllabus - Physical Metallurgy
The Physical Metallurgy section of the GATE Metallurgical Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of topics such as Bragg’s law, Atomic models and Gibbs-Thomson effect, etc. Let us discuss the important topics of this section in detail.
- Chemical Bonding: Ionic, covalent, metallic, and secondary bonding in materials, Crystal structure of solids- metals and alloys, ionic and covalent solids, and polymers.
- X-ray Diffraction: Bragg’s law, optical metallography, principles of SEM imaging.
- Diffusion in solids: Diffusion equation, steady-state and error function solutions, Kirkendall effect, Uphill diffusion, Atomic models for interstitial and substitutional diffusion, Pipe diffusion, and grain boundary diffusion.
- Crystal Imperfections: Point, line and surface defects, Coherent, semi-coherent, and incoherent interfaces.
- Phase transformation: Driving force, Homogeneous and heterogeneous nucleation, growth kinetics.
- Electronic: Electronic, magnetic, and optical properties of materials.
- Solid-state transformations: Precipitation, spinoidal decomposition, ordering, massive transformation, discontinuous precipitation, eutectoid transformation, diffusionless transformations, Precipitate coarsening, and Gibbs-Thomson effect.
- Basic forms of corrosion: Basic forms of corrosion and its prevention.
GATE Metallurgy Syllabus - Mechanical Metallurgy
The Mechanical Metallurgy section of the GATE Metallurgical Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various topics such as partial dislocations, stress exponent and activation energy, etc. Let us discuss the important topics of this section in detail.
Strain tensor and stress tensor, Representation by Mohr’s circle, elasticity, stiffness and compliance tensor, Yield criteria, Plastic deformation by slip and twinning
Edge, screw and mixed dislocations, source and multiplication of dislocations, stress fields around dislocations; Partial dislocations, dislocation interactions.
Work/strain hardening, strengthening due to grain boundaries, solid solution, precipitation and dispersion
Griffith's theory, linear elastic fracture mechanics, fracture toughness, fractography, ductile to brittle transition
Cyclic stress-strain behavior- low and high cycle fatigue, crack growth
|High-temperature deformation and failure|
Mechanisms of high-temperature deformation and failure
Creep and stress rupture, stress exponent and activation energy
GATE Metallurgy Syllabus - Manufacturing Process
The Manufacturing Process section of the GATE Metallurgical Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various topics such as casting practices, metal forming and production of powders, etc. Let us discuss the important topics of this section in detail.
Mould design involves feeding, gating, risering, casting practices, casting defects
|Hot, warm and cold working of metals|
Metal forming- fundamentals of metal forming processes of rolling, forging, extrusion, wire drawing, and sheet metal forming, defects informing
Principles of soldering, brazing and welding, welding metallurgy, defects in welded joints in steels and aluminum alloys
Production of powders, compaction, and sintering
|Non-destructive Testing (NDT)|
Dye-penetrant, ultrasonic, radiography, eddy current, acoustic emission, and magnetic particle inspection methods
GATE Metallurgical Engineering Syllabus PDF Download
Metallurgical Engineering is an important subject of the GATE syllabus. The GATE Metallurgy syllabus is divided into various sections namely- Engineering Mathematics, Metallurgical Thermodynamics, Transport Phenomena and Rate Processes, Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy, Physical Metallurgy, Mechanical Metallurgy, and Manufacturing Process. Further, candidates can find the syllabus in PDF format for effective preparation for the upcoming exam.
Best Books for GATE Metallurgical Engineering Syllabus
Candidates can find below the best books to prepare for the syllabus. Candidates must select the right books to prepare for the GATE Metallurgy syllabus 2023. Further, you can check the important books mentioned in the table below.
|Name of Books||Author|
|Reasoning and Aptitude||Nem Singh|
|Higher Engineering Mathematics||B. S. Grewal|
|Manufacturing Process||Sandy Khippal|
|Heat and Thermodynamics||Amit Chattopadhyay|
|Mechanical Metallurgy||George E. Deiter|
Preparation Tips GATE Metallurgy Syllabus
Metallurgical Engineering is one of the most popular subjects in the GATE exam. Before appearing for the examination, candidates must be aware of the various important details such as exam pattern, weightage, important sections, and a lot more. In order to strategize your preparation candidates must follow the below-mentioned preparation tips.
- Understand the GATE Metallurgy syllabus
- Understand the exam pattern, marking scheme, and weightage of topics.
- Identify the important topics.
- Prepare small notes that are easy for revision.
- Attempt previous year's question papers.
Online Classroom Program:
Avail Test Series:
All the Best