Detailed GATE Humanities and Social Science Syllabus 2023
The Humanities and Social Sciences is a newly added course, which contains various topics such as Economics, English, Linguistics, Philosophy, Psychology, and Sociology. The GATE Humanities and Social Science (XH) syllabus 2023 consists of two sections where one is the compulsory section and carry only one subject, whereas in the other section candidates have to select only one subject from the 6 option given by the officials.
The complete distribution of the sections in the GATE Humanities and Social Science Syllabus is discussed in the table provided below:
XL Paper Sections
Reasoning and Comprehension
Any ONE optional Section
The GATE syllabus for Humanities and Social Science for all these sections is discussed in detail below.
GATE XH Syllabus 2023- General Aptitude
The General Aptitude section of the GATE Humanities and Social Sciences syllabus constitutes the following topics- English grammar, Sentence completion, Instructions, Verbal analogies, Word groups, Critical reasoning, Verbal deduction, Numerical computation, Numerical reasoning, Numerical estimation, and Data interpretation.
GATE XH Syllabus 2023- Reasoning and Comprehension
The Reasoning and Comprehension section of the GATE Humanities and Social Science syllabus is a mandatory section for all applicants. It determines the ability of critical reasoning and analysis of the candidate. The topics included in this section are as follows:
GATE XH Syllabus Economics
The economics section of the GATE Humanities and Social Science syllabus 2023 consists of various important topics such as Non- Cooperative games, linear regression, investment accelerator, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Microeconomics: Theory of Consumer Behavior: Cardinal Approach and Ordinal Approach, The Theory of Revealed Preference, Uniqueness and Stability of Market Equilibrium, Efficiency Criteria.
- Macroeconomics: National Income Accounting: Closed Economy Concepts and Measurement and Open Economy Issues, etc.
- Statistics, Econometrics and Mathematical Economics: Probability Theory: Concepts of probability, Probability Distributions, etc.
- International Economics: Theories of International Trade, Imperfect Competition in International Trade, etc.
- Public Economics: Asymmetric Information, Public Goods, Externality, Market Regulation – Collusion and Consumer Welfare, Public Revenue: Tax and Non-Tax Revenue, etc.
- Development Economics: Theories of Economic Development: Adam Smith, David Ricardo, Karl Marx, J. Schumpeter, W. Rostow, Big Push Approach, Balanced & Unbalanced Growth Economic, etc.
- Harrod-Domar, Solow, Ramsey, and other economic growth models Disembodied & Embodied, Endogenous Growth Models - Technical Progress.
- Indian Economy: Economic Growth in India: Patterns and Structures, Agriculture, Industry, and Services: Patterns and Structures of Growth, Major Challenges, Policy Responses, etc.
GATE XH Syllabus English
The English section of the GATE syllabus for Humanities and Social Science consists of various important topics such as poetry, history of English literature, literary forms, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Multi-genre literature in English: poetry, the novel, and other forms of fiction including the short story, drama, creative nonfiction, and non-fiction prose—with emphasis on the long 19th and 20th centuries.
- Especially in a comparative context, anglophone and in English translation, literature from India and, extending to some degree, the larger Indian subcontinent.
- Literary criticism and theory; critical and cultural intellectual traditions and approaches widely referred to and used in the discipline of English
- History of English literature and English literary studies.
- Research approaches and methodologies, including interpretive techniques responsive to literary forms, devices, concepts, and genres.
GATE XH Syllabus Linguistics
The Linguistics section of the GATE Humanities and Social Science syllabus 2023 consists of various important topics such as Indian Grammatical tradition, rules, Pragmatics, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
Language and Linguistics
Areal Typology, Universals,
Levels of Grammar and Grammatical Analysis
Methods of analysis
GATE XH Syllabus Philosophy
The Philosophy section of the GATE syllabus for Humanities and Social Science consists of various important topics from Classical, Contemporary, and Modern Western Philosophy. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Classical Indian Philosophy: Orthodox Systems, Heterodox Systems, Upaniṣads, Bhagavadgita, and Dharmasastras: Philosophy of the Upaniṣads, Kasmira Saivism, Saivasiddhanta, ViraSaivism, Shaktism and Vaishnavism.
- Contemporary Indian Philosophy: Vivekananda, C. Bhattacharyya
- Classical and Modern Western Philosophy: Metaphysics, Epistemology, Ethics, Social and Political Philosophy, and Logic.
- Contemporary western philosophy.
GATE XH Syllabus Psychology
The Psychology section of the GATE Humanities and Social Science syllabus 2023 consists of various important topics such as social psychology, Motivation, Psychometrics, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Research Methods and Statistics: Approaches to research, Designing research, Nature of quantitative & qualitative research.
- Ethics in conducting and reporting research, Statistics in Psychology, Correlational Analysis.
- The biological and evolutionary basis of behaviour
- Perception, Learning, Memory and Forgetting
- Cognition: Thinking, Intelligence and Language
- Theories of Personality
- Motivation, Emotion and Stress and Coping
- Social psychology
- Development across the lifespan
- Applications of psychology
GATE XH Syllabus Sociology
The Sociology section of the GATE Humanities and Social Science syllabus 2023 consists of various important topics from Sociological Theory, Social movement, Sociological Concepts, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
Family, Marriage and Kinship
Research Methodology and Methods
Indian Society / Sociology of India
Agrarian Sociology and Rural Transformation
Sociology of Development
Download GATE Humanities and Social Science Syllabus PDF
Candidates can download the GATE syllabus for Humanities and Social Science from here. Candidates are advised to have a copy of the same on their device in order to prepare better for the upcoming exam. We have provided the direct link to download the same for free:
Important Topics of GATE Humanities and Social Science Syllabus
Here is a list of important topics in the GATE syllabus for Humanities and Social Science. There are various important topics such as Analytical reasoning, Logical reasoning, Social Movements, and Sociological Concepts. Candidates must prepare these topics from the syllabus in order to score well in the upcoming GATE exam:
- Reading Comprehension
- Analytical reasoning
- Logical reasoning
- Social Movements
- Sociological Concepts
- Sociological Theory
- The biological and evolutionary
- basis of behavior
- Classical Indian Philosophy: Orthodox Systems
- Sociolinguistics: Levels of Grammar and Grammatical Analysis
- Language and Linguistics: Multi-genre literature in English
- Economics: Indian Economy
Online Classroom Program:
Avail Test Series:
All the Best