What is GATE Geomatics Engineering (GE) Syllabus 2023?
Geomatics is a specialized field of study. It entails gathering and analyzing geospatial data and processes of the land, oceans, natural and manmade infrastructures, as well as measuring, creating, constructing, and operating systems for doing so. In order to accomplish so, geomatics professionals use the most up-to-date satellite, laser, acoustic, and information technology.
IIT Kharagpur has introduced Geomatics as a new subject in the year 2023. The GATE syllabus for Geomatics Engineering consists of two sections- General Aptitude and Core Subject (Part A and Part B). The General Aptitude section and Part A is compulsory for all candidates. However, Part B is divided into two sections- I & II. Candidates have to select between Section I or Section II of Part B. Check out the brief description in the table provided below:
Part B: Section I or Section II
Let us discuss the GATE Geomatics Engineering (GE) syllabus 2023 in detail.
GATE GE Syllabus Part A
The Part A of the GATE Geomatics Engineering syllabus 2023 is a mandatory section of the exam. The topics included in Part A of the examination are discussed below.
- Engineering Mathematics: Measuring measurements, Precision, most probable value, Errors and their corrections, Analysis of regression, coefficient of correlation, Adjustment of the lease square, Statistical significant value, Chi square test. Anything on probability?
- Remote Sensing: Basic concept, Spectral signature, ResolutionsSpectral, Electromagnetic spectrum Platforms and Sensors, Spatial, Temporal, and Radiometric, PAN, Multispectral, Microwave, Thermal, Hyperspectral, Visual, and Digital Interpretation Methods for Remote Sensing Data.
- GNSS: Data collection methods, DGPS, Errors in observations and corrections, principles used, Components of GNSS.
- GIS: Introduction, Data Sources, Data Models and Data Structures, Algorithms, DBMS, Creation of Databases (spatial and non-spatial), Spatial analysis - Interpolation, Buffer, Overlay, Terrain Modeling and Network analysis.
GATE GE Syllabus Part B (Section-I)
The Part B (Section-I) of the GATE Geomatics Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various topics from Maps, Land surveying and Aerial Photogrammetry. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Maps: Importance of maps to engineering projects, Types of maps, Scales and uses, Plotting accuracy, Map sheet numbering, Coordinate systems- Cartesian and geographical, map projections, map datum – MSL, Geoid, spheroid, WGS-84.
- Land Surveying: Various Levels, Leveling methods, Compass, Theodolite and Total Station and their uses, Tachometer, Trigonometric leveling, Traversing, Triangulation and Trilateration.
- Aerial Photogrammetry: Types of photographs, Flying height and scale, Relief (height) displacement, Stereoscopy, 3-D Model, Height determination using Parallax Bar, Digital Elevation Model (DEM), Slope.
GATE GE Syllabus Part B (Section-II)
The Part B (Section-II) of the GATE syllabus for Geomatics Engineering consists of various topics from Data Quantization and Processing, Digital Image Processing, Radiometric and Geometric Corrections, Image Enhancement, Image Transformation, and Image Segmentation & Classification. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Data Quantization and Processing: Sampling and quantization theory, Principle of Linear System, Convolution, Continuous and Discrete Fourier Transform.
- Digital Image Processing: Digital image characteristics: image histogram and scattergram and significance; Variance-Covariance matrix, Correlation matrix and their significance.
- Radiometric and Geometric Corrections: Registration and Resampling techniques.
- Image Enhancement: Contrast Enhancement: Linear and Non-linear methods; Spatial Enhancement: Noise and Spatial filters.
- Image Transformation: Principal Component Analysis (PCA), Discriminant Analysis, Color transformations (RGB - IHS, CMYK), Indices (Ratios, NDVI, NDWI).
- Image Segmentation & Classification: Simple techniques.
Download GATE Geomatics Engineering Syllabus 2023 PDF
For the convenience of the aspirants, we have provided the PDF of the GATE Geomatics Engineering syllabus for candidates to download. Candidates can directly download the syllabus for free from the link provided below:
GATE Geomatics Engineering (GE) Syllabus 2023 Important Topics
Check out the important topics related to the GATE Geomatics Engineering syllabus. These topics are important for the upcoming paper in order to achieve a good rank in the GATE exam. Check out the important topics of the GATE syllabus for Geomatics Engineering:
Radiometric and Geometric
Corrections and Image Transformation
GATE Geomatics Engineering (GE) Syllabus 2023 Books
In order to prepare the GATE Geomatics Engineering syllabus, candidates are advised to only opt for trusted books from renowned authors or publications. Here, we have provided a list of trusted books and their authors which can be a good source for preparation for the upcoming exam. A list of the books for the GATE syllabus for Geomatics Engineering is:
Higher Engineering Mathematics
Advanced Engineering Mathematics
Manoj K Arora, RC Badjatia
Prof. Surbhi Jain, Mukesh Rai