What is GATE Biomedical Engineering Syllabus 2023?
The GATE Biomedical Engineering (BM) Syllabus 2023 will be released by IIT Kanpur. It is divided into various sections as per the exam pattern. Understanding the syllabus is essential to strategizing your preparation level to get through the exam. It consists of various important topics such as control systems, de potentiometer, spectroscopy, and a lot more.
The GATE syllabus for Biomedical Engineering (BM) consists of ten sections which are as follows:
- Engineering Mathematics
- Electrical Circuits
- Signals and Systems
- Analog and Digital Electronics
- Measurements and Control Systems
- Sensors and Bio-instrumentation
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Medical Imaging Systems
By understanding the syllabus, the candidates can get clarity about the important topics and sections needed to cover for the examination. Let us now discuss in detail the topics included in these sections.
GATE Biomedical Engineering Syllabus Engineering Mathematics
The Engineering Mathematics section of the GATE Biomedical Engineering syllabus 2023 includes various topics such as residue theorem, linear regression, Laurent's series etc. Let us now check the topics mentioned below.
- Linear Algebra: Matrix algebra, systems of linear equations, Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors.
- Calculus: Mean value theorems, theorems of integral calculus, partial derivatives, maxima and minima, multiple integrals, Fourier series, vector identities, line, surface and volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems.
- Differential equations: First order linear and nonlinear differential equations, higher-order linear differential equations with constant coefficients, Method of separation of variables, Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Initial and boundary value problems, solution of partial differential equations.
- Analysis of complex variables: Analytic functions, Cauchy’s integral theorem and integral formula, Taylor’s and Laurent’s series, residue theorem.
- Probability and Statistics: Sampling theorems, conditional probability, mean, median, mode and standard deviation, random variables, discrete and continuous distributions: normal, Poisson and binomial distributions. Tests of Significance, statistical power analysis, and sample size estimation.
- Numerical Methods: Matrix inversion, numerical solutions of nonlinear algebraic equations, iterative methods for solving differential equations, numerical integration.
GATE Biomedical Engineering Syllabus Electrical Circuits
The Electrical Circuits section of the GATE Biomedical Engineering syllabus 2023 includes various topics such as Norton, power transfer, inductor, etc. Let us now check the topics listed in the table below.
|Kirchoff's laws||Realization of basic filters with R, L, and C elements||Bode plot|
|Superposition||Phasor analysis||V-I relationships of resistor|
|Maximum power transfer||Thevenin, Norton, and reciprocity theorems||Active and reactive powers|
|Peak, Average, and RMS values of AC quantities||Inductor and Capacitor||Transient analysis of RLC circuits with de-excitation|
GATE BM Syllabus Signals and Systems
The Signals and Systems section of the GATE Biomedical Engineering syllabus 2023 includes the following topics Continuous and Discrete Signal and Systems, Periodic, aperiodic, and impulse signals, Sampling theorem, Laplace and Fourier transform, impulse response of systems, transfer function, the frequency response of first and second-order linear time-invariant systems, convolution, correlation. Discrete-time systems- impulse response, frequency response, DFT, Z– transform, and basics of IIR and FIR filters.
GATE BM Syllabus Analog and Digital Electronics
The Analog and Digital Electronics section of the GATE Biomedical Engineering syllabus 2023 includes various topics such as sequential circuits, multi-vibrators, ADC/ DAC Principles, etc. Let us now discuss the topics in detail.
|Principles of ADC and DAC||Basic characteristics and applications of the diode||Combinational logic circuits– arithmetic circuits|
|State diagrams||Boolean algebra||Sequential circuits– latches and flip-flops|
|Number systems||MUX/DEMUX||BJT and MOSFET|
|Schmitt trigger||Microprocessor- architecture||Instrumentation amplifier|
GATE BM Syllabus Measurements and Control Systems
The Measurements and Control Systems section of the GATE Biomedical Engineering syllabus 2023 includes various topics such as SI units, systematic and random errors in measurement, expression of uncertainty- accuracy and precision index, propagation of errors, PMMC, MI and dynamometer type instruments, de potentiometer, bridges for measurement of R, L and C, Q-meter, and Basics of control system- transfer function.
GATE BM Syllabus Sensors and Bio-instrumentation
The sensors and bio-instrumentation section of the GATE Biomedical Engineering syllabus 2023 includes various topics such as electrical isolation, veins, tissues, etc. Let us now discuss the topics in detail.
- Sensors: Resistive, Capacitive, Inductive, piezoelectric, Hall effect, Electrochemical, Optical, Sensor signal conditioning circuits, and Application of LASER in sensing and therapy.
- Origin of biopotentials and their measurement techniques: ECG, EEG, EMG, ERG, EOG, GSR, PCG, Principles of measuring blood pressure, body temperature, volume, and flow in arteries, veins, and tissues, respiratory measurements, and cardiac output measurement.
- Operating principle of medical equipment: Sphygmomanometer, ventilator, cardiac pacemaker, defibrillator, pulse oximeter, hemodialyzer; Electrical Isolation (optical and electrical) and Safety of Biomedical Instruments.
GATE BM Syllabus Human Anatomy and Physiology
The human anatomy and physiology section of the GATE Biomedical Engineering syllabus 2023 includes various topics such as Basics of cells, types of tissues, and organ systems, Homeostasis, Basics of organ systems- musculoskeletal, respiratory, circulatory, excretory, endocrine, nervous, gastrointestinal and reproductive.
GATE Biomedical Engineering Syllabus Medical Imaging Systems
The medical imaging system section of the GATE syllabus for Biomedical Engineering includes various topics such as Basic physics, Instrumentation, and image formation techniques in medical imaging modalities such as X-Ray, Computed Tomography, Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography, Positron Emission Tomography, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Ultrasound.
GATE Biomedical Engineering Syllabus Biomechanics
The biomechanics section of the GATE syllabus for Biomedical Engineering 2023 includes various topics such as viscoelastic properties, Gait analysis, Maxwell models, etc. Let us now discuss the topics in detail.
|Kinematics of muscles and joints|
Free-body diagrams and equilibrium
Forces and stresses in joints
Biomechanical analysis of joints
Hard Tissues- Definition of Stress and Strain
Structure and Mechanical properties of bone- cortical and cancellous bones
Structure, functions, and material properties
Maxwell & Voigt models
Biofluid mechanics- Flow properties of blood in the intact human cardiovascular system
GATE Biomedical Engineering Syllabus Biomaterials
The biomaterials section of the GATE Biomedical Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various topics such as electron, atomic force microscopy, rheology, etc. Let us now discuss the topics in detail.
|Metallic, Ceramic, Polymeric, and Composite||Basics of drug delivery||Basics of tissue engineering|
|Electron Microscopy||Rheology||Atomic Force Microscopy|
|Fundamental characteristics of implants- biocompatibility, bioactivity, biodegradability||Transmission Electron Microscopy||Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy|
GATE Biomedical Engineering Syllabus PDF Download
It is important for the candidates to have the GATE Biomedical Engineering syllabus to prepare for the upcoming exam. Here, we have provided the syllabus in PDF format. Candidates can download the syllabus from the link mentioned below.
Important Books for GATE Biomedical Engineering Syllabus
Given below is a list of the best books for the GATE syllabus for Biomedical Engineering that will help the students in preparing for their upcoming exam.
|Name of Books||Author|
|Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning||R. S. Aggarwal|
|Introduction to Biomedical Engineering||Domach|
|Fundamentals of Biomedical Engineering||G. S. Sawhney|
Online Classroom Program:
Avail Test Series:
All the Best