What is GATE Architecture & Planning Syllabus 2023?
The GATE Architecture & Planning syllabus 2023 is divided into three sections namely- General Aptitude, Part A, and Part B (which is further divided into Part B1 and B2). General Aptitude and Part A are mandatory for all while candidates are required to select one from Part B1 and Part B2.
- Part A - Common section
- Part B - Architecture
- Part C - Planning
Further, let us now discuss the GATE syllabus for Architecture & Planning in detail below.
GATE Architecture & Planning Syllabus 2023 Common Section
The Part A Common section of the GATE Architecture & Planning syllabus 2023 is compulsory for all candidates. Further, let us discuss the syllabus of the Common section in detail.
- Architecture, Planning, and Design- Architectural Graphics, Visual composition in 2D and 3D, Computer application in Architecture and Planning, Anthropometrics, Organization of space, Circulation- horizontal and vertical, Space Standards, Universal design, Building bye-laws, Codes, and standards.
- Construction and Management- Project management techniques e.g. PERT, CPM, Estimation and Specification, Professional practice and ethics, Form and Structure, Principles and design of disaster-resistant structures, Temporary structures for rehabilitation.
- Environmental Planning and Design- Natural and man-made ecosystem, Ecological principles, Environmental considerations in Planning and design, Environmental pollution- types, causes, controls and abatement strategies, Sustainable development, goals and strategies, Climate change and built environment, and climate responsive design.
- Urban Design, landscape, and Conservation- Historical and modern examples of urban design, Elements of the urban built environment- urban form, spaces, structure, pattern, fabric, texture, grain, Concepts and theories of urban design, Principles, tools, and techniques of urban design, public spaces, character, spatial qualities, and Sense of Place, and Urban design interventions for sustainable development and transportation.
- Development controls- FAR, densities and building bylaws, Urban renewal and conservation, Heritage conservation, Historical public spaces and gardens, Landscape Design, and Site planning.
- Planning process- Salient concepts, theories, and principles of urban planning, Concepts of cities- Eco-City, Smart City, Concepts and theories by trendsetting planners and designers, Ekistics, Urban Sociology, Social, Economic and environmental cost-benefit analysis, Methods of non-spatial and spatial data analysis, and Development guidelines such as URDPFI.
- Housing- Housing typologies, Concepts, principles, and examples of neighborhood, Residential densities, Affordable Housing, and Real estate valuation.
- Services and Infrastructure- Firefighting Systems, Building Safety and Security systems, Building Management Systems, Water treatment, Water supply, and distribution system, water harvesting systems, Principles, Planning and Design of stormwater drainage system, Sewage disposal methods, Design of roads, intersections, grade separators, and parking areas, Hierarchy of roads and level of service, Para-transits and other modes of transportation, Pedestrian and slow-moving traffic planning
GATE Architecture & Planning Syllabus 2023 Architecture
The Architecture section of the GATE syllabus for Architecture & Planning 2023 consists of topics such as Principles of modular coordination, water supply, sewerage and drainage systems, etc. Let us discuss the important topics of this section in detail.
|History and Contemporary Architecture|
Principles of Art and Architecture
World History of Architecture
Recent trends in Contemporary Architecture
Influence of Modern art
Works of renowned national and international architects
|Building Construction and Structural systems|
Building construction techniques and methods
Building systems and prefabrication of building elements
Principles of Modular Coordination and Construction planning
Structural systems, Principles of Prestressing
High Rise and Long Span structures, gravity and lateral load resisting systems
|Building Services and Sustainability|
Thermal, visual, and acoustic comfort in built environments
Natural and Mechanical ventilation in buildings, Air-Conditioning systems
Principles of electrification of buildings, Elevators, and Escalators- standards and uses
GATE Architecture & Planning Syllabus 2023 Planning
The Planning section of the GATE Architecture & Planning syllabus 2023 consists of topics such as slums, squatters, land use, socio-economic Surveys, etc. Let us discuss the important topics of this section in detail.
- Regional and Settlement Planning- Regional delineation, settlement hierarchy, Various schemes and programs of the central government, Transit-Oriented Development (TOD), SEZ, SRZ, Public Perception, and user behavior, National Housing Policies, Programs, and Schemes, Slums, Squatters, and informal housing, Standards for housing and community facilities, Housing for special areas and needs.
- Planning Techniques and Management- Application of G.I.S and Remote Sensing techniques, Tools and techniques for Surveys, Urban Economics, Law of demand and supply of land and its use in planning, Graphic presentation of spatial data, Local self-governance, Panchayati Raj institutions, Planning Legislation and implementation- Land Acquisition Act, PPP, etc., Decision support system and Land Information System, Urban geography and Econometrics, Management of Infrastructure Projects, Demography, and equity in planning.
- Infrastructure Planning- Process and Principles of Transportation Planning and Traffic Engineering, Road capacity and Travel demand forecasting, Traffic survey methods, Traffic flow Analysis, Traffic Analysis, and design considerations, Traffic and transport management and control in urban areas, Mass transportation planning, Intelligent Transportation Systems, Urban and Rural Infrastructure System Network.
GATE Architecture & Planning Syllabus PDF Download
The GATE Architecture & Planning syllabus consists of topics from General Aptitude and core discipline. Here, we have provided the syllabus in PDF format so that candidates can download the PDF and prepare effectively.
Best Books for GATE Architecture & Planning Syllabus
Given below is the list of books that covers the GATE syllabus for Architecture & Planning. Candidates can refer to the below-mentioned books to prepare for the examination.
|Name of Books||Author|
|Building Construction||Sushil Kumar|
|CAD/ CAM: Principles and Applications||P N Rao|
|Strength of Material||R S Khurmi|
|History of Architecture||Fletcher|
|City Planning and Design||Gallion|
Online Classroom Program:
Avail Test Series:
All the Best