What is GATE Agriculture Engineering Syllabus 2023?
The GATE Agriculture Engineering syllabus 2023 is a combination of important topics selected by the conducting authority (IIT Kanpur) for which the exam is conducted. 72% of the marks in the GATE exam are based on core Agriculture-based subjects, while 13% of the total marks consist of each Engineering Mathematics section and 15 from General Aptitude.
The GATE AG syllabus 2023 consists of 7 different sections mentioned below.
- Engineering Mathematics
- Farm Machinery
- Farm Power
- Soil and Water Conservation Engineering
- Irrigation and Drainage Engineering
- Agricultural Processing Engineering
- Dairy and Food Engineering.
Let us discuss these topics in detail.
GATE Agriculture Syllabus Engineering Mathematics
The Engineering Mathematics section of the GATE syllabus for Agriculture Engineering consists of various topics such as differential equations, matrices, Integrals, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
Linear Algebra: Matrix algebra, systems of linear equations, consistency and rank, Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors.
Calculus: Mean value theorems, theorems of integral calculus, partial derivatives, maxima and minima, multiple integrals, Fourier series, vector identities, line, surface and volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems.
Differential equations: First order equation (linear and nonlinear), second-order linear differential equations with constant coefficients, Method of variation of parameters, Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Initial and boundary value problems, solution of partial differential equations: variable separable method
Probability and Statistics: Sampling theorems, conditional probability, mean, median, mode, standard deviation and variance; random variables: discrete and continuous distributions: normal, Poisson and binomial distributions.
Analysis of complex variables: Analytic functions, Cauchy’s integral theorem and integral formula, Taylor’s and Laurent’s series, residue theorem, solution of integrals.
Numerical Methods: Matrix inversion, solutions of nonlinear algebraic equations, iterative methods for solving differential equations, numerical integration, regression and correlation analysis.
GATE AG Syllabus Farm Machinery
The Farm Machinery section of the GATE Agriculture Engineering syllabus 2023 comprises various topics from Machine Design and Farm Machinery. Further, let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Machine Design: Overload safety devices used in farm machinery; measurement of force, torque, speed, displacement, and acceleration on machine components; design and selection of machine elements – gears, pulleys, chains and sprockets, and belts.
- Farm Machinery: Soil tillage; forces acting on a tillage tool; hitch systems and tillage implement hitching; functional requirements, principles of operation, construction, and operation of manual, animal, and power-operated equipment for tillage, sowing, planting, fertilizer application, inter-cultivation, spraying, mowing, chaff cutting, harvesting, threshing, and transportation; testing of agricultural machinery and equipment; calculation of performance parameters - field capacity, efficiency, and transport.
GATE AG Syllabus Farm Power
The Farm Power section of the GATE syllabus for Agriculture Engineering consists of various topics such as engines, engine cycles, traction theory, fuel consumption, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
- Sources of Power: Human, animal, mechanical, electrical, wind, solar, and biomass power sources on the farm; biofuels.
- Farm Power: I.C. engine thermodynamics; I.C. engine cycles; engine components; fuels and combustion; lubricants and their properties; I.C. engine systems – fuel, cooling, lubrication, ignition, electrical, intake and exhaust; selection, operation, maintenance, and repair of I.C. engines; power efficiencies and measurement; calculation of power, torque, fuel consumption, heat load, and power losses.
- Tractors and Power Tillers: Tractor and power tiller types, selection, maintenance, and repair; tractor clutches and brakes; power transmission systems – gear trains, differential, final drives, and power take-off; tractor chassis mechanics; traction theory; three-point hitches – free and restrained link operations; mechanical steering and hydraulic control systems used in tractors; tractor tests and performance.
- Designing tractors and agricultural implements with human engineering and safety in mind.
GATE AG Syllabus Soil & Water Conservation Engineering
The Soil and Water conservation engineering section of the GATE Agriculture Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various important topics such as permeability, shear strength, Hazen-Williams equation, etc. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
Soil and Water Erosion
Surveying and Leveling
GATE AG Syllabus Irrigation & Drainage Engineering
The Irrigation and drainage engineering section of the GATE Agriculture Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various important topics that ensure crop production, field-level application of water, and steady flow of water. Let us discuss these topics in the GATE syllabus for Agriculture Engineering in detail.
- Soil-Water-Plant Relationship: Crop water requirements; consumptive consumption and evapotranspiration; infiltration, soil moisture, and irrigation water infiltration; measurement of infiltration, soil moisture, and irrigation water infiltration Irrigation Methods of Water Conveyance and Application: Design and evaluation of irrigation channels and subterranean pipelines; irrigation scheduling; surface, sprinkler, and micro-irrigation technologies; irrigation efficiency.
- Agricultural Drainage: Drainage coefficient; planning, design and layout of surface and sub-surface drainage systems; leaching requirement and salinity control; irrigation and drainage water quality and reuse; non-conventional drainage system.
- Groundwater Hydrology: Groundwater occurrence; Darcy's Law; steady and unsteady flow in confined and unconfined aquifers; groundwater exploration techniques; groundwater recharge estimation and artificial recharge techniques.
- Wells and Pumps: Types of wells, steady flow through wells; design and construction of water wells; classification of pumps; pump characteristics; pump selection and installation.
GATE AG Syllabus Agricultural Processing Engineering
The Agricultural Processing Engineering section of the GATE Agriculture Engineering syllabus 2023 consists of various topics related to farm machinery, soil management, farm drainage, and erosion control. Let us discuss these topics in detail.
Engineering properties of agriculture produce
Size Reduction and Material Handling
Evaporation and Drying
Processing of Agriculture Produce
GATE AG Syllabus Dairy and Food Engineering
The dairy and food engineering section of the GATE Agriculture Engineering syllabus 2023 includes topics that combine microbiology, applied physical sciences, chemistry, and engineering for food and related industries. Let us discuss the included topics in detail.
- Heat and Mass Transfer: Conduction, convection, and radiation in steady-state; transient heat transfer in simple geometry; heat exchanger working principles; diffusive and convective mass transfer; simultaneous heat and mass transfer in agricultural processing operations; material and energy balances in food processing systems; water activity, sorption, and desorption isotherms.
- Preservation of Food: Pasteurization and sterilization of milk and other liquid foods; food preservation by cooling and freezing; refrigeration and cold storage fundamentals and applications.
Download GATE Agriculture Engineering Syllabus 2023 PDF
Here, along with the detailed description of the syllabus, we have also provided the GATE Agriculture Engineering syllabus 2023 PDF for candidates to download. Candidates can download the official GATE Agriculture Engineering syllabus PDF directly by using the link provided below:
Important Topics of GATE Agriculture Engineering Syllabus 2023
Here are a few important topics from the GATE Agriculture Engineering syllabus which will cover the majority of the marks from the exam. These topics are essential for the upcoming exam and candidates must not miss any of them. The list of the important topics is mentioned below:
- Engineering Mathematics
- Heat and Mass Transfer
- Storage Systems
- Processing of Agriculture Produce
- Soil-Water-Plant Relationship
- Agricultural Drainage
- Fluid Mechanics
- Sources of Power
- Tractors and Power Tillers
- Machine Design