GATE 2019 exam result was declared on 15th March 2019 and the fate of 1.60+ lakh candidates was sealed. Mechanical engineering discipline always witnesses intense competition among the candidates in order to secure the best possible rank. Among so many aspirants, Rohan has successfully secured an AIR-27 (87.95 marks) in GATE 2019. Rohan has set an example for candidates who aim to crack the national level exam which with pure dedication and focused preparation. BYJU'S Exam Prep got in touch with Rohan and he shared the experience and step by step process to prepare for GATE Mechanical Engineering Exam
Please tell us something about yourself and your motivation to appear for GATE 2019
- Hi, My name is Rohan and my home town is from Singrauli (Madhya Pradesh) and have completed my engineering from NIT Bhopal in 2018.
- From the beginning itself, I was focused to crack GATE exam as these were the gateways to prestigious PSU's. I wanted to be a top ranker and dreamt of working in a top PSU.
Please share your preparation strategy in detail
- As my aim was to crack the GATE exam, I had joined a coaching institute in my 4th semester of B.Tech and made proper notes of all the subjects.
- But sadly I was not able to score well in my first attempt in GATE 2018 and landed up getting AIR-919.
- The main reason was the lack of practice and discipline during my preparation.
- So I began the preparation for GATE 2019 with my full dedication and started revising from my notes.
- Once a subject was completed, I would solve the test series questions and then previous years questions related to those subjects. Through this procedure of revision, I was able to complete my syllabus in 3 months as I had already prepared for GATE 2018 it was easier for me to recall the concepts involved.
- Next 3 months I again started revising the whole syllabus the same way but tried to solve questions from different Test series, here I tried to solve as much as possible because I committed a huge number mistakes.
- Every-time after giving a test, I would write down the mistakes committed and before giving another test I would revise those mistakes so that I don't commit that same mistake.
- It was the end of November month when I started giving Full-length tests.
- I had made a habit of solving 1 full length test daily and try to figure out my mistakes and focus mostly on my accuracy. I took 4-5 test series for this as I knew only practice can help me achieve a good rank.
- Once the admit card was released, I came to know that my exam slot was afternoon, so during the last month, I gave tests only at timings of the GATE exam which was necessary for setting my biological clock.
Please share some important topics & necessary preparation sources (books/study material etc) to prepare for GATE
- For me, I only revised my notes that I prepared during my coaching and didn't refer to any other study material.
- Regarding important topics, all aspirants must keep one important thing in mind that everything is important when you desire to get a good rank as this year some questions were asked from untouched areas, so you must be prepared.
- Few very important topics and important subjects you must be clear with the concepts involved.
- Metal cutting(Production),
- Fluid mechanics
- TOM, SOM
What are the challenges you faced in your preparation journey?
- The major challenges were the times when I used to score very low in the tests, I used to get too much attached to the results that I immediately stop studying after that.
- This is a very sleek phase where you need to be focused on the final exam. There will be times where you may feel like giving up but just remember why you started all these preparations
- I overcame it as I started taking things on a positive front making me believe that I was going wrong somewhere.
- The most important thing is learning. I tried to focus more on my inputs rather than the outputs.
What are some mistakes that you would have done during your preparation, that you would advise fellow aspirants to avoid?
- The mistakes that people generally commit while preparing is not focusing on their physical and mental health.
- Keep in your mind that a healthy mind rests in a healthy body.
- So don't try to be a robot and study all the time, take small breaks and do indulge yourself in some physical activity and At least take a 1-hour break from your schedule.
- Definitely you will feel energetic the whole day and will be able to concentrate more effectively.
- The other mistake is not focusing on your diet. Always try to avoid oily and fast foods as much as possible as these foods are heavy and you will find it difficult to study after a heavy meal.
- It's just about 8-9 months try to be disciplined throughout the tenure of preparation.
What was your strategy in the last 1 month before the GATE exam?
- Last month is very the most important phase of preparation
- This is the time by which the candidate must have completed their syllabus and they need to do is revise and solve full-length tests to maintain the accuracy.
- Don't learn any new topics now, rather focus on what you have studied so far.
- Try to give tests on the time slot allotted to you in GATE admit card.
- Avoid taking any kind of stress and for a week just before GATE stop giving any test just go through a quick revision every day and relax.
How did BYJU'S Exam Prep help you in your preparation?
- BYJU'S Exam Prep app is the best app for preparation for GATE exam
- You can solve as many questions as you want.
- I used to solve Aptitude mostly in BYJU'S Exam Prep. Even though I was preparing for GATE I used to give mini mock tests of 5 question of SSC which was useful for memory based question.
- At the end of the day, I would give a GATE mock test in the app which was really helpful in increasing my speed.
What feature of the BYJU'S Exam Prep App was the most useful for you?
- The best feature about BYJU'S Exam Prep App is that you can post your doubts directly in the app and people can directly respond to you with an explanation which is very helpful for all the users.
Any special advice for BYJU'S Exam Prep users preparing for GATE 2020
- For every GATE 2020 aspirant, I would suggest that try to practice as much as possible, know your weakness and prepare a specific strategy accordingly.
- Never lose hope when you perform low be confident and come back strongly.
- At last, I would say PERSEVERANCE IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS. ALL THE BEST GUYS.