The result for GATE 2019 exam was declared on 15th March 2019. GATE exam is one of the biggest exams where more than 1.6 lakh candidates appeared for the Mechanical Engineering exam. Although the no.of candidates appearing for GATE ME exam had decreased as compare to last year, but the level of competition has certainly increased. Among so many aspirants, Anshul has successfully secured an AIR-2 (94.65 marks) in GATE 2019. Graduating from tier-1 college, instead of opting for corporate jobs, Anshul aimed to use his technical skills in government sectors. BYJU'S Exam Prep got in touch with Anshul and here is what he had to say about his success in GATE 2019
Please tell us something about yourself and your motivation to appear for GATE 2019
- I have completed my B-Tech from Bits Pilani in Mechanical Engineering in May 2018. After that, as I was not interested in working in the corporate sector, I came to know about the PSUs and ESE where I can use my technical knowledge. After that, I started preparing for the GATE Exam.
Please share your preparation strategy in detail
- I started reading with the basic definitions and concepts which lays the foundation of every technical exam. I spent the initial months just building the concepts and getting knowledge of each subject in greater depth. I would also like to share my experience of my last time preparation. Because I think that will help most of the students preparing for ESE and GATE both.
- Actually, I had not attempted GATE previous year questions even once before the ESE prelims exam in January. I felt some pressure because there was only a month left for the final exam.
- So, from the next day of ESE prelims exam in January, I counted the number of questions of Previous year GATE provided booklet.
- And most importantly the test series helped me to manage the time. So I would advise all the students to keep on giving the tests so that you can analyze your performance.
Please share some important topics & necessary preparation sources (books/study material etc) to prepare for GATE
- I would just like to advise all the students to do previous year questions as many times as possible and the test series.
What are the challenges you faced in your preparation journey?
- The major challenge was preparing for the exam in 6 months. There are students who are preparing for the exam for several years.
- And I have to compete with them, and also the pressure of getting the job within the first time as I had declined the placement offers in college.
What are some mistakes that you would have done during your preparation, that you would advise fellow aspirants to avoid?
- I would just like to say, start preparing for the exam while being in college. Start your preparations with understanding the basic concepts and then practice the questions from each topic and concepts.
What was your strategy in the last 1 month before the GATE exam?
- There were like 2450 questions and only 25 days were left for the GATE exam. Then I decided to attempt 130 questions daily and I started from the subjects that I am already good at and because of this, I was able to start with doing more than 200 questions a day.
- This really gave me the confidence and due to that I ended up doing all the questions in about 15 days and I was left with 10-15 days still in hand.
- So I gave the full syllabus mock tests of Online test series that helped me looking out for zones that still need more practice.
How did BYJU'S Exam Prep help you in your preparation?
- BYJU'S Exam Prep helped me with the practice of questions other than the previous year. Especially after the test series, if I found the particular subject in which I was doing the mistakes, I used to practice that particular subject questions on BYJU'S Exam Prep.
- The friendly interface of BYJU'S Exam Prep has really helped me brush up my skills and improve my performance
What feature of the BYJU'S Exam Prep App was the most useful for you?
- The friendly interface, frequent notifications and the well-distributed question series on each topic helped me to master all the subjects in detail.
Any special advice for BYJU'S Exam Prep users preparing for GATE 2020
- I would like to advise each and every student to practice maximum questions.
- BYJU'S Exam Prep provides questions in a very systematic manner on each topic. Do attempt these questions again and again and bookmark the questions that you are doing wrong and keep on revising the bookmarked questions.