In this article, we will know all about the Rafale jet, its future role. We will also compare Rafale and Sukhoi 30MKI with China's J-20.
Image Source: Newwave
The Rafale fleet would be a significant increase in the power of India at a time when India is involved in a tense border dispute with China in eastern Ladakh.
Image Source: News 18
17th Squadron of India Air Force
The first squadron of Rafale jets will be stationed at Ambala airbase which is one of the most strategically located bases of the IAF.
Rafale fighter jets will be part of the new 17th squadron of Indian Air Force named Golden Arrow. The Golden Arrow Squadron was previously disbanded, is being resurrected.
History of 17th squadron 'Golden Arrow':
Since Rafale fighter jets will form the tip-of-the-spear of Indian Air Force's offensive power, it's fitting that our air warriors be given new patches that they will proudly wear on their uniforms. Symbolism holds a great place in Indian armed forces which have a proud tradition and rich history.
Image Source: guwahatiplus.com
- The new patches that have been designed will be worn by Rafale pilots on the shoulder and chest.
- The design of the patches has retained the old school essence of the historical Golden Arrow Squadron. There are two patches, one is circular and another is a silhouette of Rafale fighter jet. The task of making these patches for the squadron was given to Saurav Chordia.
- Both the designs have the logo of the Golden Arrow unit along with 'Himalayan Eagle' in the middle. Colours of the Indian flag have been used in the patches as well.
- This brand new Golden Arrow patch was worn by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh when he did a sortie in a Rafale fighter jet last year. Group Captain Harkirat Singh, who is the commanding officer of the 17th squadron, also wore the patch.
Dassault Rafale vs Chengdu J-20 vs SU30 MKI
- J-20 was deployed by China’s People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) in February 2018 claiming it is the most advanced stealth fighter in Asia and comparable only with the American F-22.
- However, according to various media reports, the Indian Air Force air superiority fighter jet – the Sukhoi Su-30 MKI was able to detect the Chengdu J-20 flying over Tibet despite it using the stealth technology. These claims can never be verified, but one thing is certain that Chengdu J-20 has question marks over its stealth capabilities and has not proven itself in a war.
- The Chinese might have an idea of the capabilities of Indian SU-30 MKI jets, as they also have jets based on Russian technology, but the French Rafales would be a complete surprise and challenge for them.
Image Source: Pxfuel
- The Rafales have invested approximately 30% of the cost of the entire aircraft on the radar and self-protection equipment which would make it extremely difficult to detect and target. These capabilities of Rafale are the prime reasons why India preferred the French Rafales over the very advanced F-16s and Typhoon fighter jets.
- Rafale fighter jets, with proven war capabilities and tried and tested weaponry and radars has the capabilities to completely surprise the Chinese 5th generation fighter jets, which is still in the Upgradation stage. It is highly unlikely that China will bring its J-20 against the Rafale Fighter Jets anytime soon until they are self-assured of its capabilities.
Multi Role Air Superiority
More from us
Important Study Notes for Defence Exams
Defence Specific Notes
Weekly Current Affairs
Current Affairs Quiz
SSB Interview Tips
The Most Comprehensive Exam Prep App
Commentswrite a comment