Two major things you have to be careful with are:
1. Speed along with Accuracy: You will be given only 20 minutes to complete 35 questions of this section. To do this, you have to enhance your speed. You have to make sure that whatever question you attempt is correct or say 100% accuracy in quant will enhance your marks and save time.
2. Time Management: For this, you have to practice a lot and this way you will be able to analyze your strong and weak areas. This will also help you manage your time accordingly.
Tips to Prepare Numerical Ability for FCI Exam 2021
In the Numerical Ability section of the FCI phase I exam, it is essential to prepare the following topics:
- Number Series
- Data Interpretation
- Inequalities (Quadratic Equation)
- Miscellaneous questions (Profit Loss, Average, Simple & Compound Interest, Age, Ratio & Proportion, Time and Speed, etc.)
Let’s understand some important rules/ key things about the below-given topics. It will help you to prepare the topics in an efficient manner.
1. Simplification/ Approximation – In this section, you have to find the value in place of the question mark.
Tips to solve this type of Questions in the exam–
(i) Basic Rules of Simplification – BODMAS Rule
Follow the correct sequence of operators to find the correct value in a given mathematical expression. This means that to simplify an expression, the following order must be followed –
B = Bracket, O = Order (Powers, Square Roots, etc.), D = Division, M = Multiplication, A = Addition, S = Subtraction
(ii) These questions demand good calculation speed with a shortcut approach.
(iii) Learn tables up to 20, squares up to 30 and cubes up to 20 for faster calculation.
(iv) Don't waste time if you get stuck in any complex or large calculation.
(v) Try to build good commands on shortcut techniques for multiplication, cubes, squares, cube root, square root, etc.
Approximation – In such questions, you have to find an approximate value that will come in place of the question mark in the questions. The First & Foremost rule you should apply here is the conversion of decimal numbers to the nearest number. This way you will simplify your equation and get an approximate answer.
2. Number Series – You can expect 5 questions from this topic too. In these questions, the series follows a logical rule based on elementary arithmetic. You can be asked to find the missing number in the sequence, the last number of the sequence or a new sequence based on the given pattern. For example:
a. 25, 49, 64, 100, 144, ? Find the last number of the sequence.
b. 1, 3, 8, 26, ?, 532 Find the missing number of the sequence.
c. 1, 8, 27, 64, 125
a, b, c, d, e. Find the value of e.
On the basis of the pattern of the given sequence, you have to find the value.
Tips to solve the number series questions–
(i) Identify the pattern to solve a number series. Some of the basic patterns can be the difference between the numbers, the difference of differences, squares, cubes of numbers, multiplication, divisions, prime numbers. Practising such questions will help you to solve the maximum number of questions.
(ii) Solve various math puzzles like sudoku. It will help you in building the logical path.
3. Data Interpretation: From this topic, 10 questions (2 Sets) are expected in FCI Phase I exam. Table Charts, Pie Charts, Line Graph or Bar Graph are the types of Data Interpretation questions which can be asked in the FCI Phase I exam.
Tips to solve this type of question in the exam –
(i) To solve Data interpretation questions, you should have command in calculating Percentages, Profit & Loss, Ratios, averages, etc. or say the topics which are relatively short or can be attempted easily and quickly.
(ii) 3 out 5 questions will be easy to solve and the other 2 questions can be lengthy. So, do not waste your time on those questions and just skip them and move forward towards other questions.
(iii) Carefully read all the instructions of the Data Interpretation as there may be some twists that are hidden and require attention.
4. Miscellaneous Questions: From this topic, 10 questions are expected to come in the exam. It includes Ratio & Proportion, Ages, Averages, Percentages, Profit & Loss, Time Speed & Distance, Time & Work, Boats & Streams, Simple & Compound Interest, Mensuration, etc.
(i) You just have to strengthen the topics mentioned above. This can be done by practising them regularly.
(ii) Learn all the basic rules of the topics so as to solve them in a short duration.
Important Note – Learning shortcut tricks like remembering squares, cubes and common fractions to decimals can be of great assistance in solving the questions. But, if there is a chance that an error may occur or it is taking much time, you may leave such questions and spend that precious time solving other types of questions. Always keep this note in your mind that the question to time ratio is less than 1 and hence try to attempt at least 25-30 questions in accordance with the time. It is advised to devote around 2 hours to this section so that you can attempt maximum questions with accuracy in 20 minutes.
Thoroughly read the above-mentioned tips to prepare for the FCI exam in an efficient manner. Try as many mock tests as you can to improve your speed, accuracy and time management.
For better practice and analysis of your performance, attempt the FCI Mini Mock Test on the updated pattern.
More from us: