Famous Temples in India
India is known for its beautiful architecture and religious and historical structures that are famous around the world. Many of these famous monuments are the ancient Hindu temples that have been a part of our legacy and heritage for centuries. But what makes these temples important in the first place? The answer is history. Most of the famous temples in India have some unique history and mythological significance associated with them. This unique fact or prominent feature has added these temples to the list of famous temples in India.
Famous Temples in India PDF
If you are preparing for any competitive exams, you can learn about the important temples in India in a comprehensive PDF format. We have added all the relevant information in the form of a PDF for your convenience. This way, you can learn about the ancient history of our country through the list of important temples in India that trace back to our golden heritage.
In the PDF, you will find the list of temples and their locations as well as some other information about these fascinating and holy monuments. It will not only help you prepare for the exam but will also improve your overall knowledge of the famous temples in India and help you stay updated.
Famous Temples in India State-wise
Every state in India is known for its unique features and ancient history, which is reflected in its beautiful architecture and its religious structures. Since India is referred to as the land of temples, every state has multiple temples with amazing architecture and some mythological and historical significance. In the below section, you will find a list of the most important temples in India state-wise that people visit from around the world.
Famous Temples in India List
Here is a list of famous temples in India with states. We have also added the names of the nearest rivers or lakes that these temples are located near. Go through the list of important temples in India for SSC and RRB exams.
|Important Temples in India|
Temples in India
Kashi Vishwanath Temple
Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
Pahalgam, Jammu & Kashmir
Vaishno Devi Temple
Jammu & Kashmir
Konark Sun Temple
Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu
Shani Shingnapur Temple
Shirdi Sai Baba Temple
Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh
Tirupati Balaji Temple (Tirumala Venkateshwara)
Tirumala, Andhra Pradesh
Virupaksha Temple (Pampapathi temple)
Siddhivinayak Temple-(Dedicated to Lord Ganesha)
Madurai, Tamil Nadu
Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu
Darasuram, Tamil Nadu
Raisen, Madhya Pradesh
Dakshineswar Kali Temple
Kolkata, West Bengal
Kandariya Mahadeva Temple
Gomateshwara Bahubali Temple
Hassan district, Karnataka
Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu
Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh
Ancient Temples in India
Temple which is called “Mandira” in Sanskrit is a house of worship. Temples in India reflect the cultural glory and history of a place. In India, a temple is considered as a place where humans spiritually connect with God. Temples in India are built on the principles of Vastu shastra, known as “Shilpa Shashtra”. It is a symbolic, miniature representation of the cosmos. Check out some of the ancient temples in India with interesting facts.
Temples in India
It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site in the Hampi district of Bellari.
Lakkana Dandesha, a chieftain under the Vijayanagara Empire's monarch Deva Raya II, built it.
Lord Venkateswara Temple
Tirumala Hills Temple is also known as Tirupathi Balaji.
The temple is built in the Dravidian architectural style.
Prabhas Patan and Deo Patan are two more names for Prabhas Patan. It is one of Lord Shiva's 12 jyotirlinga shrines.
From Somnath temple to Antarctica, there is no land between the waters.
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel refurbished the temple in 1947.
Jagat Mandir is another name for it. It's one of four Hindu pilgrimages (Char Dham).
Mahmud Brgada demolished the original building in 1472.
Currently, in the Chalukya architectural style.
It is a Buddhist Stupa in Bodhgaya that was founded about 260 BC.
The Mahabodhi Central Tower stands 180 feet (54 meters) tall.
The brickwork represents Buddha's life.
Vaishno Devi Temple
Jammu & Kashmir
Trikuta Hills, 5200 feet above sea level. It's a Cave temple.
Jammu & Kashmir
A cave temple at an elevation of 3888 meters.
Amarnath is one of the 51 Shakti Peeths, and Bhrigu Muni was the first to discover it.
Largest annual pilgrimage sites in the world with an estimate of over 40 to 50 million devotees visiting every year
The temple is situated on a hilltop amidst eighteen hills at an altitude of 1260 m (4,134 ft) above sea level and is surrounded by mountains and dense forests.
The temple is dedicated to a Hindu Brahmachari (Celibate) deity Ayyappan
Top 10 Famous Temples in India
As you know, there is a whole range of important temples in India. In fact, the temples in India form an integral part of our rich heritage, and we must learn about them. Listed below are the top 10 famous temples in India.
- Tirupati Balaji Temple, Andhra Pradesh: This temple is dedicated to Lord Venkateswara and is one of the most visited temples in the world. It is known for its grandeur, intricate carvings, and spiritual significance.
- Golden Temple, Punjab: Also known as Harmandir Sahib, this temple is the holiest place of worship for Sikhs. It is known for its unique architecture, beautiful golden facade, and peaceful sarovar (pool) surrounding it.
- Vaishno Devi Temple, Jammu and Kashmir: Situated in the Trikuta Mountains, this temple is a popular pilgrimage destination for Hindus. Pilgrims trek through the mountains to reach the temple and seek blessings from the Hindu goddess Vaishno Devi.
- Kashi Vishwanath Temple, Uttar Pradesh: Kashi Vishwanath Temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is one of the holiest temples in Hinduism. It is known for its religious significance, intricate architecture, and spiritual ambiance.
- Meenakshi Temple, Tamil Nadu: Located in Madurai, Meenakshi Temple is dedicated to Goddess Meenakshi, an avatar of Parvati. It is known for its elaborate gopurams (gateway towers), stunning sculptures, and vibrant festivals.
- Somnath Temple, Gujarat: Located in Prabhas Patan, Somnath Temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is one of the 12 Jyotirlingas (sacred abodes of Lord Shiva).
- Jagannath Temple, Odisha: This temple is dedicated to Lord Jagannath, a form of Lord Vishnu. It is known for its Rath Yatra (chariot festival), elaborate rituals, and cultural significance.
- Amarnath Temple, Jammu and Kashmir: Situated in the Himalayas, this temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is a popular pilgrimage destination for Hindus. The ice stalagmite formed inside the cave is considered to be a form of Lord Shiva and attracts devotees from all over the world.
- Akshardham Temple, Delhi: Akshardham Temple is a masterpiece of modern architecture and showcases the rich cultural heritage of India. It is known for its intricate carvings, multimedia shows, and spiritual exhibits.
- Brihadeeswara Temple, Tamil Nadu: Located in Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, this temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is known for its towering gopuram, stunning sculptures, and historical significance. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is considered a masterpiece of Chola architecture.
We hope to have covered the most important temples in India for SSC Exams and other competitive exams in this article. You can add to the list and leave your queries regarding this topic in the comments.
|State-wise Famous Temples in India|
|Famous Temples in Karnataka||Famous Temples in Andhra Pradesh|
|Famous Temples in Kerala||Famous Temples in Tamil Nadu|
Commentswrite a comment