Best IAS Officers in India
All aspirants must check the best IAS officers list to motivate themselves to prepare hard for the UPSC exam. Those who are included in this list stayed true to their profession and brought a positive change in the lives of people in their own ways. Some have come from an underprivileged area, while others have faced a lot of hardships in their life to join Indian Administrative Service. Let us look at the famous IAS officers list in the next section.
List of Top IAS Officers in India
Aspirants can check this famous IAS officers list to find inspiration for their service towards the nation.
- Popular by the name ‘Miracle Man’, he is the first IAS officer from the Zeme Tribe of the Naga People. He cleared the UPSC exam in 2008 and was posted as the Sub-Divisional Magistrate of Tousen in 2012.
- He is one of the best IAS officers in India, famous for being responsible for constructing a 100 km long motorable road in the Tamenglong district which connects Manipur to Nagaland and Assam.
- This road was built 100% with the support of the local people without using Government funds and machinery, that’s why it is also known as ‘The People’s Road’.
- When she was posted as an IT secretary in Kerala, her role was crucial in the development of e-governance.
- She was represented by Forbes magazine as ‘an IAS officer who thinks like a businesswoman’ which makes her secure a place on the famous IAS officers list.
- She also headed the Kudumbashree project which is a community-based project for women’s empowerment, reduction of poverty, and promotion of employment opportunities for women.
Durga Shakti Nagpal
- She is one of the top IAS officers in India who is known for her honesty and quick decision-making skills.
- She secured 20th rank in the 2009 UPSC exam.
- She posted in the UP cadre in 2011 as the Sub-Divisional Magistrate of Sadar, Noida, where she took on the sand mafia involved in illegal sand mining of the Hindon and Yamuna river banks.
Hari Chandana Dasari
- A 2010 batch IAS officer of the Telangana cadre, she is famous for her ‘green revolution’ in Hyderabad, where she started various plastic recycling initiatives and programs for the welfare of people.
- She is currently appointed as the Collector and DM of Telangana’s Narayanpet District, where she has implemented several welfare schemes such as She Toilets, Pet Parks, She Marts, Feed The Need, etc.
- After clearing the UPSC exam by securing 4th position all over the country, IAS Smita Sabharwal was appointed as Municipal Commissioner of Warangal.
- She is also known as a ‘People’s Officer’, and was the first lady IAS to be posted to the Chief Minister's Office.
- She is one of the top IAS officers, best known for her “Fund Your City” project during her tenure as Municipal Commissioner in Warangal, where under the Public-Private Partnership (PPP), a large number of public utilities such as bus stops, traffic junctions, foot-over bridges, parks were built.
Krishna Gopal Tiwari
He was an inspiration for many including the specially-abled aspirants. IAS Krishna Gopal Tiwari was the first visually challenged officer in India who is now the District Collector of Umaria in Madhya Pradesh.
- With his non-tolerant attitude towards corruption, he got transferred 20 times in his 20 years of service.
- He is the first IAS officer to make his assets public.
- He is known to be one of the famous IAS officers in India as, under his command, extensive investigations were held on the illegal mining of granite in Madurai. Additionally, he took a hold of around 5000 subsidized cylinders that were illegally used in commercial places. Because of these investigations, he exposed many politicians and businessmen.
- IAS Ashok Khemka is also very popular because of his proactive approach to fight against corruption. He is associated with one of the most famous scams - the Robert Vadra DLF land grabs scam.
- Born in Kolkata, Mr Khemka completed IIT and joined the Haryana cadre as an IAS officer in 1991.
- In his 28 years of service, he had been transferred 53 times (as of 2019).
- Every IAS aspirant is very well familiar with the name “D Subbarao”. He was the 22nd Governor of the Reserve Bank of India.
- An IAS officer of the 1972 batch in the Andhra Pradesh cadre, he brought various reforms for financial inclusion and literacy and initiated village outreach programmes.
- He was the first person to review Stephen Hawking’s book, ‘A Brief History of Time’.
- IAS Vinod Rai (born at Ghazipur, Uttar Pradesh in a Bhumihar family) is an IAS officer from the Kerala cadre in the 1972 Batch, who started his service as the sub-collector of Thrissur District.
- He was also known as the second Sakthan Thampuran for his contribution to the development of Thrissur City.
- He also served as the 11th Comptroller and Auditor General of India and is currently working as the chairman of the UN Panel of External Auditors.
IAS Officer Shah Faesal
Shah Faesal is one of the famous IAS officers as he has been in news in the last few months. He resigned from his post in January 2019 amidst J&K protests but was reinstated in April this year. In April 2022, he has been appointed as a Deputy Secretary in the Union Ministry of Culture by the Ministry of Home Affairs.
IAS Officer List State Wise
Check the list of IAS officers state-wise tabulated below. Through this table, we can find that the maximum number of IAS officers in India comes from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
Number of IAS Officers
Andaman and Nicobar
Jammu & Kashmir