The Indian Army is the Indian Armed Forces' land-based branch and the largest component. The Indian Army is commanded by the President of India, who is also its professional head, the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), who is a four-star general. Two officers have been given the five-star rank of field marshal, which is a ceremonial post of great honor.
The Indian Army's principal goal is to ensure national security and unity, defend the country against external and internal threats, and maintain peace and security inside its borders. It can be requisitioned by the government to deal with internal threats and execute humanitarian relief operations during natural disasters and other disruptions, such as Operation Surya Hope.
Ten Amazing Facts about the Indian Army
1. Indian Army was formed by the East India Company (EIC) in 1776 in Kolkata.
Image Source: Timesofrajindia
2. In the First World War, the Indian Army was 161,000 strong. More than half the soldiers were recruited from Punjab. The Indian Corps won 13,000 medals for gallantry, including 12 Victoria Crosses in World War 1.
3. India gate was built in memory of the 82 thousand soldiers who were martyred in World War One.
4. The Indian Military Training Team (IMTRAT) is permanently stationed in western Bhutan.
5. The Indian army’s High Altitude Warfare School (HAWS) is one of the most elite training centres in the world.
Image Source: Alchetron
6. The Indo Pakistan War (1971) led to the surrender of about 93,000 combatants and officials of the Pakistani Army.
7. Indian Army won two wars against China that you are probably unaware of: The Nathu La Conflict in Sept 1967 and The Cho La Conflict in Oct 1967.
8. The Indian Army is one of the biggest contributors to the United Nations peacemaking operations.
9. Another brilliant example of bravery shown by soldiers of the Indian army was during the Battle of Saragarhi on 12th September 1897. In this battle, 21 Sikhs challenged and fought against 10,000 Afghani troops. All 21 Sikhs died in this battle, and there were 400–600 casualties on the other side. This battle is considered as one of the greatest last stands in the history of the human race, often compared to the Battle of Thermopylae, In which King Leonidas fought Xerxes Persian Army in 480 BC with an army of 300 Spartan soldiers.
Image Source: Change
10. Param Vir Chakra, the highest wartime gallantry award has been awarded to 21 braves till date, and 2/3rds of these were awarded posthumously.
Lt col Rajiv Gosh is joining us today on Army Day at 7 pm in the evening. In today's sessions, Lt Col Rajiv Gosh is going to take us on a journey of how to join the defence forces.
So all the aspiring candidates, watch this interesting session with Lt Col Rajiv Gosh
More from us.
Free Classes for NDA II 2021 Exam, Click Here
Attempt Unlimited Tests for NDA II 2021 Exam, Click Here
Solve Daily Quizzes for NDA NA Exams
View Year-wise Papers of all NDA Exams
Sahi Prep Hai Toh Life Set Hai!
Commentswrite a comment