What is Terrace Farming?
Terrace farming can be branched out into two types: bench and ridge-type terraces.
- Bench terraces are used to reduce the slope of the land.
- Ridge terraces on slopes perform drainage or storage. Ridge terraces come in two varieties: narrow-based and broad-based
There are numerous benefits of terrace farming. Some of them are:
- Increases agricultural efficiency and production of slope farms.
- Increases rainwater collection and helps in water conservation by reducing and slowing runoff.
- Reduces the formation of rills, thereby preventing soil erosion.
- It helps in the conservation of soil.
- Water pollution and sedimentation have decreased.
- While not enough to damage crops, the water is sufficient for the dense material to settle, reducing downstream sedimentation and poisoning of water bodies.
- Modification of land for cultivation to promote food production.