Water as a Renewable Resource
Water is a renewable resource and some important key points supporting this statement are given below:
- About 96.5% of the total amount of water is present in the form of oceans.
- Only 2.5% of the water available for daily use is called fresh water.
- 70% of the fresh water is available in the form of glaciers and ice sheets in Greenland, Antarctica, and the mountainous region of the world.
- India's total renewable water resources are estimated at 1,897 sq km per annum.
- According to the United Nations World Water Development Report, 2003, large parts of India will face water scarcity by 2025.