In the Syndicate Bank PO 2018, first-time Descriptive Test has been mentioned in the syllabus, so you have to prepare for both Objective and Descriptive mode of Exam. Thus, you have to qualify both the test to get an interview call. Please note that if you will clear the written test but fail in the descriptive exam, then you may not be eligible for the interview process. So, prepare for both the tests well and practice as many tests as possible to score higher.
Also, the Descriptive test is qualifying in nature and a candidate has to secure minimum marks (50% for general & 45% for SC/ST/OBC/PWD) in the descriptive test to qualify for next process i.e, Interview and Group discussion.
At first, have a look at the details of the Descriptive Exam. It will be of English Language comprising 2 questions which you have to complete in 30 minutes. So, you have to manage time efficiently to complete the 2 questions in the given duration. Ideally, 15 minutes is sufficient for each question. As per the descriptive pattern of other banking exams, we can expect 1 essay writing and 1 letter writing.
Here are some important preparation tips for the Descriptive Exam which will help you in your preparation.
Letter Writing Tips for Syndicate Bank PO
This topic tests a candidate's ability of communication in a precise and effective manner with the person to whom the letter is addressed. There are two types of letters asked in the exam. One is formal and other is informal. The personal letters are written in a friendly tone whereas formal letters are written in a formal style.
Examples of a Formal letter: Writing to a Bank Manager, any government official, dignitary, academic official or anyone else with whom you hope to have a professional relationship.
Examples of an Informal letter:: Writing to your friend, relatives, co-workers, etc.
Important Tips for Writing a Letter in Descriptive Test
The format of the letter: The foremost thing you know remember is the format of the letter. Writing letters in the correct format will fetch you extra marks.
Correct format of letter writing -
|Address (Sender's)||Your false address|
|Date||Use current date|
|Address (Receiver's)||Recipient’s false address|
|Subject||Reason for letter|
|Salutation||Use "Dear Sirs," "Dear Madams," or "Dear Sirs/Madams", Respected Sirs/Madams"|
|Content/Body||Start with an introductory paragraph, then explain the subject in detail and in the end conclude with a paragraph.|
|Closing of the letter||“yours truly”, “yours faithfully”, etc.|
|Writer's name with designation||Your false name & designation or the name is given in question|
Example of a letter:
B - Block,
Unitech Cyber Park
MG Road, Gurgaon
Pin Code -122001
Date: February 3, 2017
The Branch Manager,
MG Road, Gurgaon
Body: Write the message here.
Things to remember while writing the Letter
(i) Whatever you write should be left aligned.
(ii) Do not mention your original name in the letter which you write in an exam. You can use ABC or XYZ in place of your name.
(iii) Write concisely. Do not extend the lines by writing irrelevant information.
(iv) Write the letter in Active Voice.
(v) Whatever facts you mentioned should be accurate.
Essay Writing Tips for Syndicate Bank Po
This part of the descriptive test checks your writing skills and imagination. It involves organizing of the thoughts in a proper sequence. Always lay down your ideas in a very structured manner.
Important Tips for writing an Essay
- Read the instruction carefully
- Pick a topic in which you are most confident having proper knowledge.
- Prepare an outline or diagram of your ideas (Note down important points in case you get a rough sheet)
- Always write an essay in three parts - Introduction, Body, and Conclusion.
(i) Introduction - The introduction should attract the examiner attention and show the focus of your essay.
(ii) Body – The body of essay explains or describes the topic in detail manner. Do not repeat any sentence in the essay.
(iii) Conclusion - The conclusion is the end of the topic and sums up your overall ideas while providing a final perspective on your topic.
- The essay body should be structured.
- Do not use negative language or criticize government needlessly.
- Don't diverge from the subject.
Preparation Tips for Essay Writing
1. To improve the writing skills, make a habit of reading English Newspaper on a regular basis. Essay topics are asked from current issues in competitive exams. Thus, the habit of a reading newspaper will improve your writing skills as well as increase your general knowledge.
2. Reading and writing articles will help you in putting your ideas on paper and will ensure that you have good command over the language.
3. Always refer to the dictionary if you do not know the meaning of a word or when you are in doubt about any unfamiliar usage of a word.
4. Write two essays daily on a regular basis. Reread your essay or letter and check to see if it makes sense.
The descriptive test in Syndicate Bank will be in online mode, so you must be having a good typing speed, Also, make a habit of typing articles and letter in your desktop or laptop. This will improve your writing skills and as well as increase your typing speed.