Know the GATE Paper Pattern
This question paper consists of 2 sections, General Aptitude (GA) for 15 marks and the subject-specific GATE paper for 85 marks.
- The GA section consists of 10 questions. Question numbers 1 to 5 are 1 mark each, while questions 6 to 10 are 2 mark each.
- The subject-specific GATE paper section consists of 55 questions, of which 1 to 25 are of 1 mark each, while questions 26 to 55 are of 2 marks each.
- All questions that are not attempted will result in zero marks. However, wrong answers for multiple choice type questions (MCQ) will result in NEGATIVE marks. There is NO NEGATIVE MARKING for questions of NUMERICAL ANSWER TYPE.
- For all MCQ questions, a wrong answer will result in a deduction of 1/3 mark for a 1-mark question and a 2/3 mark for a 2-mark question.
Tips to Attempt the GATE Question Paper
- You can click on each question and answer using READ/UNDERSTAND/ANSWER Strategy.
- Keep in mind that easy questions can be solved in less time, so give less time to solve such questions. Difficult questions may take time to solve, and you may solve them in the second scan of the paper.
- Paper can be solved in one scan or two scans.
- Using one scan: If you can solve or answer the question, answer it. Otherwise, leave the question. Answering any question should not take more than 4 to 6 minutes.
- Using two scans: In the first scan, answer all questions which can be solved in less time (not more than 4 minutes); in the second scan, answer all unsolved and reviewed questions to answer correctly.
- You have been provided with a scribble pad. So it is easy to answer the online test using a scribble pad similar to the offline test.
- The entire question paper can be seen by clicking “Question Paper”. This can help you easily solve question-by-question on the scribble pad.
- Solve all possible questions and answer them on a scribble pad with A, B, C, and D options. After 1 hour or 2 hours of exam time, start marking all answered questions in the online system to ensure there will be no problem.
- If you answer the questions using a complete question paper, there will be no regular interruption of the online marking system. So it is possible to answer effectively.
- Time can be saved by answering many questions on a scribble pad and then marking them on the online system at a time.
- You may design your method and follow it by combining the above two methods to answer the GATE questions effectively.
- NOTE: Traverse each question during the exam, so you will know whether you can answer it. Try to save time and spend all your time on those questions where you are sure about solving/answering the questions.
How Much Time is Required to Solve all Questions
- Solving all questions of GATE Paper would require more than 3 hours, but try to answer the maximum possible questions you can solve during 3 hours.
- Solve only those questions in which you are confident.
How many questions should be attempted to get good marks?
- Answering 40 to 50 questions would be sufficient to get good marks.
- It is possible to get good marks when you give maximum correct answers on the paper.
- Also, the marks are good or not depending on the branch, e.g. 75 is a good score in EC, while for ME, 80 is good for PSU jobs.
Which section should begin first?
- If you have prepared General Aptitude, then attempting this section can carry good marks.
- So start this section if you can answer the GA questions.
- Otherwise, start with technical questions about your subjects.
Can I guess the answer to some questions?
- It would be best if you never guessed the answer to any question on the GATE paper.
- It may happen that sometimes you can eliminate 2 out of 4 options, and then you may guess to answer such questions.
- So, keep your guessing maximum to 2 or 3 questions in the paper if it is required. Otherwise, do not guess at all.
- You can guess all numerical-type questions when you do not know the answer, as they do not carry negative marks.
Other Important for the GATE Exam
- Practice virtual calculator before the GATE Exam
- Try to get good sleep and make a comfortable environment a few hours before the GATE exam begins.
- Avoid reading new topics and solving new problems in the last two days.
- You should note mock practice test last two days before the GATE exam.
- Carry all necessary things required for the exam such as a pen, pencil, admit cards etc.
- Do not carry electronic items such as mobile, calculators, etc.
All the Best!!
Team BYJUS Exam Prep!!