What is IES Salary in India?
Aspiring candidates applying for the Engineering Service Exam want to know what is the IES salary 2023. It's worth noting that the IES officer salary is comparable to that of any other Civil Service Officer. The basic pay and benefits contained in an IES salary are governed by the 7th Pay Commission. There is a significant disparity between the candidates' past salary structures as a result of the 7th pay commission.
Before candidates consider applying for this reputed position, they should be aware of the IES Salary Structure, which varies depending on the position and level of promotion. Due to the fact that IES officials are Scale "A" officers, the pay band of an IES officer salary following the 7th Pay Commission is ₹ 56100/-.
The Engineering Services Exam (ESE) exam is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission to recruit candidates in the following branches for Technical as well as Managerial posts.
- ESE IES Mechanical Engineering
- ESE IES Civil Engineering
- ESE IES Electrical Engineering
- ESE IES Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering
IES Officer Salary Structure
As per IES salary 2023, the allowances applicable also vary as per the job location of the officer joined. At the time of joining, the basic pay of the candidate will be ₹ 15,600/- to ₹ 39,100/-. The IES salary structure is the same as the candidates who are selected for the post of Officer in the Civil Service Examination.
|IES Salary 2023|
IES Officer Level
IES Pay Scale
Time Taken for Promotion
IES Senior Scale
5-6 years after joining
IES Junior Administrative Grade
At least 10 years after joining
Selection Grade Scale (Chief Engineer L2/ Joint GM)
13 years after joining
Super Timegrade (Chief Engineer/ Additional GM)
20 years or more
Cabinet Secretary Grade
Based on Performance and Fixed
IES Salary And Allowances
Along with the basic pay, IES officers receive various perks and allowances. In the IES salary structure, the officers are entitled to the following benefits and sets of allowances in their lifetime.
- Residential Quarters or HRA: Depending upon whether the officer takes up the quarters provided or manages his/ her own accommodations, depending upon the choice of the IES Officer. The HRA is subjected and depends upon the city where the IES Officer will be posted, these cities are classified into three categories.
- Class A Cities (Metropolis)- 30% of the Basic Pay is entitled to HRA.
- Class B Cities (Big Cities)- 20% of the Basic Pay is entitled to HRA.
- Class C Cities (Smaller Cities, Towns Villages)- 10% of the Basic Pay is entitled to HRA.
- Dearness Allowance: It depends upon the inflation rates, to fulfill the requirements of the daily household of the IES Officer.
- Leave Travel Allowance: Tour Allowance: It depends upon various factors and works as an additional incentive.
- Official Vehicle: It is allowed for the purpose of official works while travelling to sites for meetings and seminars but it varies with the department.
- Gratuity: Gratuity is provided to honor the service of the IES Officers.
- CGHS Medical Facility: It is provided to cover the medical expenses of the IES Officer. It may vary as an extra payout in certain departments.
- Provident Fund: It is allotted to each employee to serve as monetary help after retirement.
- Personal Assistant: Each IES Officer is assigned a personal assistant to assist in official duties which may vary with the department of the Officer.
- Peon: A Peon is provided for helping the IES Officer with the Official work.
- Leave Encashment: In case, leaves are pending at the end of the year their encashment is provided to the IES Officer.
- Driver: A driver is provided to the IES Officer to drive his/ her Official vehicle.
- Domestic Servant: A domestic servant is provided for household help so that the Officer focuses on the Official duties assigned to him/ her in a better way.
IES Salary Deductions
According to various government policies, IES salary deductions of some amount of an IES officer salary are deducted. The UPSC ESE IES Salary deductions are as follows:
- 10% of gross salary is deducted for PF of an Officer.
- The Officer must pay ₹ 325/- under Central Government Employees Group Insurance.
- NPS Payment is done which is 10% of Basic Salary and Dearness Allowance.
- Income Tax Deductions
ESE IES Officer Career Growth
After discussing the IES salary, let us check the career growth of an IES officer. The promotional hierarchy and career growth of an IES Officer administered by the Union Public Service Commission are as follows.
- The candidate is selected first for the post of Assistant Executive Engineer or Assistant Director in any department of government.
- A service period of 3-4 years makes an officer eligible to get promoted as an Executive Engineer or a Director. But, this duration of promotion may vary depending upon the performance of the candidate during service.
- If an officer completes around 13 years of service then he/ she is eligible for promotion to Joint General Manager or Chief Engineer of level 2.
- After around 20 years of service, the promotion is done to the post of Chief Engineer or AGM (Additional General Manager).
- After completing 30 years of service, the promotion can be done to the post of Senior General Manager.
- The Officer will be eligible for the last promotion after completion of 34 years of service in which the officer will be promoted to Managing Director or to the post of Chairperson.
IES Officer Job Profile
As we have discussed the IES Salary structure, let us see the Job Profile for which this salary is drawn. The IES job profile differs according to the service and departments they are appointed in. However, in general, they have to perform various technical and managerial duties. The various cadres or organizations in which IES Officers can be employed are as follows:
- Central Power Engineering Service
- Central Electrical and Mechanical Service
- Border Roads Engineering Service
- Central Engineering Service for Roads
- Central Water Engineering
- Defense Service Engineering Corps
- Geological Survey of India
- Indian Army Engineering Service
- Indian Navy Armaments Service
- Indian Ordnance Factory
- Indian Railway Service
- Indian Supply Service
- Indian Telecommunication Service