What is IES Salary?
Aspiring candidates applying for Engineering service exam want to know what is the IES salary. It's worth noting that the IES salary is comparable to that of any other Civil Service Officer. The basic pay and benefits contained in an IES salary are governed by the 7th Pay Commission. There is a significant disparity between the candidates' past salary structures as a result of the 7th pay commission.
Before candidates consider applying for this reputed position, they should be aware of the IES Salary Structure, which varies depending on the position and level of promotion. Due to the fact that IES officials are Scale "A" officers, the pay band of an IES salary following the 7th Pay Commission is Rs. 56100/-.
Let us now discuss the IES Salary Structure 2022 in detail.
IES Salary Structure 2022
As per IES salary 2022, the allowances applicable also vary as per the job location of the officer joined. At the time of joining, the basic pay of the candidate will be Rs. 15,600/- to Rs. 39,100/-. The IES Salary structure is the same as the candidates who are selected for the post of an officer in the Civil Service Examination.
IES Officer Level
IES Pay Scale
Time Taken for Promotion
IES Senior Scale
5-6 years after joining
IES Junior Administrative Grade
At least 10 years after joining
Selection Grade Scale (Chief Engineer L2/ Joint GM)
13 years after joining
Super Timegrade (Chief Engineer/ Additional GM)
20 years or more
Cabinet Secretary Grade
Based on Performance and Fixed
IES Officer Job Profile
As we have discussed the IES Salary structure, let us see the Job Profile for which this salary is drawn. The IES job profile differs according to the service and departments they are appointed in. However, in general, they have to perform various technical and managerial duties. The various cadres or organizations in which IES Officers can be employed are as follows:
- Central Power Engineering Service
- Central Electrical and Mechanical Service
- Border Roads Engineering Service
- Central Engineering Service for Roads
- Central Water Engineering
- Defense Service Engineering Corps
- Geological Survey of India
- Indian Army Engineering Service
- Indian Navy Armaments Service
- Indian Ordnance Factory
- Indian Railway Service
- Indian Supply Service
- Indian Telecommunication Service
ESE IES Officer Allowances & Benefits
In the IES salary structure, the Officers are entitled to the following benefits and sets of allowances in their lifetime:
- Residential Quarters or HRA: Depending upon whether the officer takes up the quarters provided or manages his/ her own accommodations, depending upon the choice of the IES Officer. The HRA is subjected and depends upon the city where the IES Officer will be posted, these cities are classified into three categories:
- Class A Cities (Metropolis)- 30% of the Basic Pay is entitled to HRA.
- Class B Cities (Big Cities)- 20% of the Basic Pay is entitled to HRA.
- Class C Cities (Smaller Cities, Towns & Villages)- 10% of the Basic Pay is entitled to HRA.
- Dearness Allowance: It depends upon the inflation rates, to fulfil the requirements of the daily household of the IES Officer.
- Leave Travel Allowance: Tour Allowance: It depends upon various factors and works as an additional incentive.
- Official Vehicle: It is allowed for the purpose of official works while travelling to sites for meetings and seminars but it varies with the department.
- Gratuity: Gratuity is provided to honour the service of the IES Officers.
- CGHS medical facility: It is provided to cover the medical expenses of the IES Officer. It may vary as extra payout in certain departments.
- Provident Fund: It is allotted to each employee to serve as monetary help after retirement.
- Personal Assistant: Each IES Officer is assigned a personal assistant to assist in official duties which may vary with the department of the Officer.
- Peon: A Peon is provided for helping the IES Officer with the Official work.
- Leave Encashment: In case, leaves are pending at the end of the year their encashment is provided to the IES Officer.
- Driver: A driver is provided to the IES Officer to drive his/ her Official vehicle.
- Domestic Servant: A domestic servant is provided for household help so that the Officer focuses on the Official duties assigned to him/ her in a better way.
IES Salary Deductions
According to various government policies, IES Salary deductions of some amount of salary of an IES officer is deducted. The ESE IES Salary Deductions are as follows:
- 10% of gross salary is deducted for PF of an Officer.
- The Officer must pay Rs. 325/- under Central Government Employees Group Insurance.
- NPS Payment is done which is 10% of Basic Salary and Dearness Allowance.
- Income Tax Deductions
ESE IES Officer Career Growth
The Promotional Hierarchy and career growth of an IES Officer administered by the Union Public Service Commission are as follows:
- The candidate is selected first for the post of Assistant Executive Engineer or Assistant Director in any department of government.
- A service period of 3-4 years makes an officer eligible to get promoted as an Executive Engineer or a Director. But, this duration of promotion may vary depending upon the performance of the candidate during service.
- If an officer completes around 13 years of service then he/ she is eligible for promotion to Joint General Manager or Chief Engineer of level 2.
- After around 20 years of service, the promotion is done for the post of Chief Engineer or AGM (Additional General Manager).
- Completing 30 years of service, the promotion can be done for the post of Senior General Manager.
- The Officer will be eligible for the last promotion after completion of 34 years of service in which the officer will be promoted to Managing Director or to the post of Chairperson.