However, candidates are required to clear sectional cut-off which is 10 marks for English Language Section. In this article, we will walk you through the preparation strategy for English Language Section along with the important tips so that you can ace this section for the LIC AAO Prelims.
LIC AAO Prelims 2021: English Language Preparation Strategy
Before beginning with the detailed strategy, let’s think over a few important points :
- Do I need to attempt all the questions of English in the Exam?
- Do I need to read the complete passage?
Obviously not! It’s all about testing your strategy, your ability to find easy questions, and attempting them with accuracy.
The English section mainly comprises of two parts which are Grammar and Vocabulary. Following mentioned are the important topics under these for LIC AAO Prelims Exam :
- Spotting Errors
- Sentence Correction/Improvement
- Phrase Replacement
- Cloze Test
- Sentence Rearrangement/Para Jumble
- Double Fillers
- Reading Comprehension
Now let's go through preparation tips for each topic one by one :
1. To deal with Common errors and sentence correction, you need to be well versed with the basics of important grammar rules along with some exceptions within it. It doesn’t mean you have to mug up all rules with examples. You all are aware of it. All that you need is a thorough understanding of those rules (8-10 important rules for each grammar essentials i.e. Articles, Syntax, Noun, Pronoun, Adjective, Verb, Adverb, Prepositions, Conjunction) and an exercise based on those rules. Practicing will help you test your grasp over those rules.
To help you with that, we have a mini mock test named English Quizzes which consists of important rules and common errors of each topic.
3. Reading newspapers, novels, magazines, and educational blogs will add fuel to your LIC AAO and other exams' English Language preparation. By reading the newspaper daily, you can surely develop a good reading habit as well as reading speed.
1. Start reading “The Hindu” /The Economic Times”/“The Indian Express” per your interest or availability. It doesn’t mean you have to read the whole newspaper. Read only what is important. Preference should be the 1st page, Editorial page, Business page, World page, and a quick scan of a sports column. In this way, you can prepare English as well as General Awareness for the LIC AAO exam.
3. Whenever you encounter new words, before making a note of them, try to find or predict their meaning based on the context it’s being used. Word roots will help you in understanding the English Language in a proper manner.
These are ways to enhance your understanding of the English Language. Making a note of unknown words and briefly looking at those on a daily basis is highly recommended. Believe us, you will encounter those words again and again and thus you will be adding new words to your Vocabulary list without much effort.
4. While reading, have a glance through the usage of grammar and word arrangement. It will help you in Cloze test in Reading Comprehension Questions.
5. Another way to improve your vocabulary is reading “Word power made easy”. But again it requires your dedicated and continuous effort. Bear in mind that this will help you in the long run. It’ll not make much difference if you buy it just before the exam.
Topic-wise Important Tips
A. Cloze Test
- Sometimes, its options may appear a bit confusing but once you are familiar with the summary of the passage you can easily eliminate the odd one out
- Read the passage and go with the flow of the sentence to get the message behind the passage
- If there is any doubt it’s better to skip that question rather than attempting it
- Regular Practice is the key to solve the cloze test with maximum accuracy in LIC AAO or other banking exams
B. Sentence Rearrangement/ Para Jumbles:
- Read all the sentences properly to find out the theme of the passage
- Find out the Independent sentence, it’ll give you the lead (most of the time its 1stsentence)
- Find out the connecting sentences (looking carefully for the repetition of nouns with the pronoun)
- Identify the pair while looking for some cause, effect, problem than its solution
- At last, find the message, result, and conclusion mainly representing the purpose of the passage; (special words - thus, therefore, hence, however, so, etc.)
- Regular practice at least a set daily will give you the confidence to attempt it in the exam with accuracy. Don’t make wild guesses. If you are unsure, find the 1st and the last sentence and you can skip the rest
C. Double Fillers:
- Read the whole sentence to get the message and go with the flow
- Go with the second part first to get the proper sequence or meaning of the sentence while keeping the grammar rules in mind (especially tense.)
- Think of the logic behind the option, you can also go with the odd one out strategy
- Accuracy is the key, so do not mark the answer if you are not sure of it
D. Reading Comprehension:
- The level of Reading Comprehension passages is moderate to high especially in PO exams; reading Online Newspaper will help you in solving RCs quickly
- Don’t spend much time on the single question
- Skip those questions which ask you to find out the correct or incorrect from the passage or have multiple options to look for
- If you have not much time left, it’s better to attempt Antonyms and Synonyms questions and other easy questions
E. Match the column :
- This topic is important for Prelims Exam
- In 'Match the column' questions, candidates need to join two parts of a sentence in a way that they form a meaningful and grammatically correct sentence
- Two columns are provided in the question; three/four incomplete sentences are given in both columns
- The first column consists of the first half of these sentences and the second column consists of the second half of these sentences
- Students are required to match both the columns in a way that all the sentences are connected properly in a meaningful way
Note: Last but not least, Banking and Insurance exams are all about Speed and Accuracy. Time management is important in this regard and for that, you need to practice. Do attempt sectional tests and quizzes of gradeup. Practice previous year's sample papers and analyze them.
Bear in mind; “If you dedicate 180 plus minutes a day on the topic you have chosen to master, you could be at the cutting edge of your field at the end of two years.”
This is the moment to decide what you would love to dedicate your time and life too. It’s important to learn from your mistakes until you get success. Your willingness to dust off the failures, move on to bigger, newer dreams, and of course to believe in yourself will make you stay ahead of others.
Attempt the latest pattern and expert-designed mock test now! Click on the link given below :
You can enroll yourself in varieties of other courses and exam preparation by subscribing to our Test Series.
Why BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series?
1. Avail recent trend Mock Tests which are designed by Exam Experts.
2. Detailed Question Level Solution Analysis.
3. Complete Performance Report along with Strength and Weakness Assessment.
4. Know your All India Rank.
5. Tips and tricks by experts to Crack the Exam.
Best of luck for the examination!
Sahi Prep Hai Toh Life Set Hai