Documents Required for UPSC
UPSC document verification can be daunting with the number of documents required. It can take considerable time to collect and organize all the documents needed at different stages of the examination process. Time is precious to all the aspirants preparing for UPSC. Hence, it is not recommended to spend too much time gathering the documents.
Hence, we have provided the list of documents required for UPSC below. Knowing the prerequisites for each stage will save considerable time and effort, which can be directed toward preparation for the exam.
Documents Required for UPSC Prelims
The first step towards participating in any exam is applying for it. Prelims is the first stage of the examination for which registration is done online. Documents required for UPSC Prelims do not need to be sent anywhere. However, they must be uploaded on the website while registering. The required documents are listed below:
- Scanned copy of a passport-size photograph
- Scanned copy of the signature
- Scanned copy of a Government-issued Photo-id card such as an Aadhaar Card, PAN Card, Voter ID, Driving Licence, Passport, or any other Photo ID issued by the central or state government.
Candidates should note that the ID card they upload at the time of filling out the UPSC application form will be needed throughout the process. They will also have to carry the original card to the interview and any other future reference as well.
UPSC Documents Required for Mains
Candidates who clear the prelims exam will be eligible to participate in the next stage, i.e., the UPSC Mains exam. After the Prelims result, selected candidates will have to fill out the application form again, also known as the Detailed Application Form (DAF). UPSC documents required for this stage are listed below.
- Matriculation or secondary school leaving certificate (Proof of Age).
- Educational Degrees or Certifications, as recognized by UPSC.
- EWS Certificate, if applicable.
- Certificate supporting OBC/SC/ST status, if applicable.
- Disability certificate, if applicable.
- Non-creamy layer OBC certification, if applicable.
- J&K Domicile, if applicable.
- Certificate proving domicile in the northeastern states of Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Nagaland, Mizoram, Meghalaya, or Sikkim, if applicable.
- Undertaking for government servants stating their current boss is aware of them taking the exam, if applicable.
- Certificate of disability acquired while in defense service, if applicable.
- Certificate supporting age relaxation claim, if applicable.
Documents Required for UPSC Interview
Candidates who clear Prelims and Mains will be called for an interview/personality test. This is the stage where actual UPSC document verification takes place. Candidates should be careful and ensure they have all the necessary documents, originals, and photocopies. Below, we have listed the documents required for UPSC interview to help candidates avoid any confusion.
UPSC Document Verification List
- Print-out of e-Summon Letter.
- Government-issued Photo ID card (uploaded at the time of Prelims registration).
- Matriculation certificate, along with a photocopy, as proof of age.
- Degree certificate or Provisional Marksheet, in case the degree still needs to be issued by the university. Also, carry a self-attested photocopy of the same.
- Two recent passport-size photographs, out of which one should be self-attested.
- Certificate for age relaxation, if applicable.
- Affidavit in case of any discrepancies in the name.
These are the general documents that everybody needs to bring to the IAS interview. Apart from this, for different categories, more documents are required, which are listed below:
UPSC Documents Required for SC/ST candidates:
- Caste certificate, original, and photocopy.
- Two copies of the TA Form along with proof of journey (for non-Delhi residents).
Documents Required for UPSC by PH category candidates:
- Physically Handicapped Certificate, original and photocopy.
- For the PH-I category, the DWE (Dominant Writing Extremity) Certificate is also required.
- Two copies of TA Form along with proof of journey (for non-Delhi residents).
Documents required for UPSC medical examination:
- 8-10 Passport size photographs.
- Prescriptions or medical certificates, if any, may be helpful for an eye check-up.
Purpose of UPSC Document Verification
UPSC is a prestigious exam, and candidates who qualify for it serve the nation and form its bureaucracy. These candidates are carefully chosen; hence, it is important to ensure they fulfill all the eligibility requirements. To verify these claims of eligibility, UPSC document verification is done. This ensures that no candidate is lying about their background or education to gain an unfair advantage. Like any other exam, the UPSC document verification list is checked to ensure the authenticity of a candidate’s participation in the exam.