Before moving ahead with the exam preparation, it is essential to understand the difference between UGC NET and SET exams. In this article, we have summarised the differences between UGC NET and SET exams. For ease of comparison and comprehension, the differences have been categorized into various subheads like exam conduction body, exam mode, career scope, etc.
Difference Between NET and SET Exams
We will now discuss each of these in-depth to help you understand the difference between the SET and NET exams. The following points will distinguish the exams of NET and SET:
NET vs. SET: The Exam Conducting Body
- NET: National Eligibility Test
- This exam is conducted by the University Grant Commission (UGC)
- UGC conducts the NET exam every year in June and December
- NET is conducted for lectureship posts in any university or college in the country
- SET: State Eligibility Test
- This exam is also called SLET: State Level Eligibility Test
- The exam pattern of the State Level Eligibility Test (SLET) is based on the National Eligibility Test conducted by the University Grant Commission (UGC) with the aid of a State university
- There are the following states in which SET Exam is conducted:
HPSET is conducted By the Himachal Pradesh Public Service Commission (HP PSC) for the state of Himachal Pradesh.
Assam State Eligibility Test
State Level Eligibility Test North East (SLET-NE) Exam includes Assam SLET, Manipur SLET, Mizoram SLET, Tripura SLET, Arunachal Pradesh SLET, and Sikkim SLET. The SLETNE exam was conducted by Assam (N E Region)
West Bengal State Eligibility Test
WB SETWest Bengal State Eligibility Test Exam Conducted By West Bengal College Service Commission (WBCSC)
Maharashtra State Eligibility TesT
MH-SET examinations are conducted by the University of Pune (Savitribai Phule Pune University) as the State Agency of the Government of Maharashtra and at the Government of Goa.
Uttarakhand State Eligibility Test
Uttarakhand State Level Eligibility Test or Kumaun university SET exam. Kumaun University conducted them to join candidates for lectureship in Uttarakhand.
Madhya Pradesh State Level Eligibility Test
Madhya Pradesh State Eligibility Test is a state-level exam for recruiting Assistant Professor/Lecturers in the state of Madhya Pradesh, and Madhya Pradesh Public Service Commission (MPPSC) conducts the MP SET.
Karnataka State Eligibility Test
Karnataka State Eligibility Test (KSET) Exam conducted by the University of Mysore to recruit Lectureship and Assistant Professors in Karnataka State.
Kerala State Eligibility Test
The Government of Kerala conducts Kerala State Eligibility Test (Kerala SET), and the organizer is Lal Bahadur Shastri (LBS) Centre for Science & Technology
Gujarat State Eligibility Test
Gujarat SET Agency, The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, is conducting State Eligibility Test to make the rigorous merit-based selection for the entry-level teaching profession.
Jammu and Kashmir State Eligibility Test
JK SET: Jammu & Kashmir State Eligibility Test Conducted By the University of Kashmir, Srinagar, to join candidates for Assistant Professors Universities and Colleges of Jammu & Kashmir State.
Andhra Pradesh State Eligibility Test
Tamilnadu State Eligibility Test
TN SLET Tamilnadu State Eligibility Test by Mother Teresa University-Kodaikanal
NET vs. SET: Eligibility Criteria
The NET Eligibility is set differently for both the exams by the convenor institutes. We have shared the same below:
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria
SET Eligibility Criteria
NET vs. SET: Exam Pattern
You must understand the exam pattern of both examinations in a very clear manner. The preparation for each exam will depend upon the exam pattern. There is a major difference between the exam pattern of NET and SET exams. Find the complete exam pattern of both the exams below:
UGC NET Exam Pattern
SET Exam Pattern
4. UGC NET vs. SET: Other Differences
UGC NET Exam
SET Exam Syllabus
Similarities between NET and SET Exams
As already discussed, both the exams are conducted to recruit Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Assistant Professors.
- Qualifying Procedure: The qualifying procedure for both exams is similar. Candidates are selected based on their performance in their tests.
- The Frequency of exam: The NET exam is conducted twice a year, while SET Exams are conducted once a year.
- Assessment: The candidates are assessed based on their General Aptitude Knowledge and Subject Knowledge in both the exams.
We hope this article has added some value to your knowledge, and it was able to clear all your doubts and confusion regarding the NTA UGC NET and SET exams.
Preparation Tips for your NET/SET EXAM
Check the preparation tips for the NET and SET exams. Candidates must check the SET & NET Preparation Strategy provided by the experts.
- Check the entire syllabus and examination pattern thoroughly
- Start preparing for the exam with a schedule
- Practice with the previous year’s question papers and their solution
- Keep revision of all topics from the topics daily
- Check your progress with mock tests
- Study carefully and do maintain your health.
Increase your chances to crack JRF by 900%-Join Online Classroom Program
BYJU'S Exam Prep provides you with crisp and relevant notes with plenty of questions, mock tests, and practical application-based questions. Hence, to score better, start your preparation now and crack NET.
Team BYJU'S Exam Prep.
Commentswrite a comment