COVID-19 Vs FLU
Areas of Difference
Caused by SARS COVID-2
Caused by infection with influenza viruses
Speed of transmission
The time taken for the appearance of symptom after the infection is shorter.
The serial interval for COVID-19 virus is estimated to be 5-6 days
And also the time between successive cases is shorter.
The serial interval for influenza virus is 3 days
Spread slower than Flu.
Influenza can spread faster than COVID-19.
Severity of disease
Older age and people with low immunity increase the risk of severe infection.
The riskiest are Children, Pregnant women, Elderly, People with underlying chronic medical conditions and People who are immunosuppressed.
Can cause more severe illness than Flu
Flu viruses can cause mild to severe illness
Availability of Vaccines
There is no licenced vaccine yet. Vaccines are still under development.
Antivirals and vaccines are available for influenza.
Both viruses cause respiratory disease, though there are important differences between the two viruses and how they spread.
Here are some similarities between COVID-19 and Flu:
- They both cause respiratory disease that leads to a wide range of illness from asymptomatic or mild through to severe disease and death.
- Common symptoms of COVID-19 and flu include:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty in breathing
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle pain or body aches
- Both the viruses are transmitted by contact and droplets.
- Hand hygiene and proper respiratory etiquette are preventive measures