1. PM Modi inaugurates Biotech Startup Expo - 2022 in New Delhi
- PM Narendra Modi has inaugurated the Biotech Startup Expo - 2022 at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi.
- This 2022 Expo is organised to mark completion of ten years of setting up of Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC).
- The theme of the 2022 Expo is ‘Biotech Startup Innovations: Towards AatmaNirbhar Bharat’.
- This Expo will connect entrepreneurs, investors, industry leaders, scientists, researchers, bio-incubators, government officials, etc.
2. Cabinet approves increase in MSP for Kharif crops
- The CCEA has approved increase in Minimum Support Price (MSP) for all intended Kharif crops for Marketing Season 2022-23.
- Government has approved rates are at least 1.5 times of the all India weighted average cost of production.
- The highest absolute increase in MSP has been recommended for: (Per Quintal)
- Sesamum: Rs 523
- Moong: Rs 480
- Sunflower seed: Rs 385
- Tur, Urad and Groundnut: Rs 300
- Cotton (Medium Staple): Rs 354
- Cotton (Long Staple)Rs 355
3. Mithali Raj announces her retirement from international cricket
- Indian Women's cricket legend, Mithali Raj has announced her retirement from all forms of international cricket at the age of 39 years.
- She has represented India in matches (232) and scored 7,805 runs at an average of 50.68.
- She made her international debut in an ODI against Ireland, in June 1999.
- She became the first and is the only woman cricketer to have aggregated more than 10,000 international runs in over 350 matches across all three formats.
4. Indian shooters win gold in 10 meter air pistol mixed team event in France
- Indian shooters, Manish Narwal and Rubina Francis have won gold in 10 meter P6 air pistol mixed team event at the Para-shooting World Cup in Chateauroux, France.
- The team of Narwal and Francis has defeated Chinese pair of Yang Chao and Min Li by 17-11.
- The Indian duo has also created a new world record in the qualification stage with a score of 565 to enter the final at the top position.
- Earlier, Avani Lekhara has bagged the gold in women’s 10m air rifle standing SH1.
5. European Parliament votes to ban sale of new petrol and diesel cars by 2035
- European Parliament Members have voted to prohibit the sale of new petrol and diesel cars by 2035.
- Aim: To fight against climate change
- The EU assembly voted in Strasbourg, France to require automakers to cut carbon-dioxide emissions by 100% by the middle of the next decade.
- The mandate would amount to ban on the sale in the EU nations of new cars powered by gasoline.
- EU lawmakers also endorsed a 55% reduction in CO2 from automobiles in 2030 compared with 2021.
Banking & Finance
6. RBI raises individual housing loan limit for co-operative banks
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has raised the limits for individual housing loans being extended by Urban Cooperative Banks (UCBs) and Rural Cooperative Banks by over 100%.
- The limits for Tier I /Tier II UCBs have been revised from ₹30 lakh/ ₹70 lakh to ₹60 lakh/ ₹140 lakh, respectively.
- RCBs the limits have been increased:-
- (i) From ₹20 lakh to ₹50 lakh for RCBs with assessed net worth less than ₹100 crore
- (ii) From ₹30 lakh to ₹75 lakh for other RCBs.
Banking & Finance
7. OECD cuts India Growth forecast to 6.9% in FY23
- The Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) has reduced the economic growth for India to 6.9% growth in FY23 from 8.1% estimated earlier.
- OECD has also projected the growth for India is 6.2% in 2023.
- The Reserve Bank of India has also estimated the nations growth to 7.2%.
- The RBI has also raised the repo rate by 50 basis points (bps) to 4.9% in a bid to curb the soaring inflation in the country.
- OECD Headquarters: Paris, France
National & International Appointments
8. Krishna Srinivasan appoints as the director of IMF's Asia-Pacific
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) has appointed Krishna Srinivasan as Director of the Asia and Pacific Department (APD) with effect from June 22.
- He will succeed Changyong Rhee whose retirement from the IMF was announced on March 23.
- He has joined IMF in 1994 in the Economist Program.
- He is currently working as a Deputy Director in APD where he is responsible for the department's surveillance work on large and systemically important countries such as China and Korea.
National & International Organizations
9. QS World University Rankings 2023 of top 200 varsities released
- QS World University Ranking 2023 has been released, in which 41 Indian varsities have been found place in the rankings.
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc) ranked 155th as the top research university in the world with a perfect score of 100 in the citation per faculty parameter.
- IIT Bombay placed at the 172nd rank and IIT Delhi has been ranked 174.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) at top position followed by the University of Cambridge, Stanford University
10. Union Health Minister releases FSSAI’s 4th State Food Safety Index
- Union Health Minister, Mansukh Mandaviya has released the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India's (FSSAI), 4th State Food Safety Index.
- Aim: To measure the performance of states across five parameters.
- Tamil Nadu topped the list among large states followed by Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- Smaller states: Goa(1st) followed by Manipur and Sikkim.
- UTs: Jammu & Kashmir, Delhi and Chandigarh
11. Goa CM launches mobile app 'Beach Vigil App'
- Chief Minister of Goa, Pramod Sawant has launched “Beach Vigil App”.
- Aim: To ensure the holistic management of beaches.
- This app shall benefit the institutions working in beach tourism sector and tourists.
- With the help of this app, the Drishti workers, police and other stakeholders can raise issues for safeguarding tourists’ interests.
- The state government also planning to make the coastal state among the top 25 destinations for start-ups in Asia by 2025.
12. India beat Poland to win the inaugural FIH Hockey 5s title
- India beat Poland by 6-4 to win the final of the inaugural FIH Hockey 5s championship in Lausanne in Switzerland.
- India had topped the five-team league standings with three wins and one draw en route final, ended their campaign with an unbeaten record.
- Earlier, India has outplayed Malaysia by 7-3 before beating Poland 6-2 in the second match of the day.
- Hockey 5s was first played in the preparation for the 2014 Youth Olympic Games.
Banking & Finance
13. SEBI restructured Advisory Committee on Mutual Funds
- Securities and Exchange Board of India has restructured its advisory 25 member committee on mutual funds.
- The advisory committee will be chaired by former Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank India, Usha Thorat.
- Earlier, the committee had 24 members
- Aim: Advise SEBI on problems relating to MF regulation and development, and on disclosure requirements and takes necessary for a change in the legal framework.
- SEBI Chairperson: Madhabi Puri Buch