National & International Appointments
1. Ex-RBI Governor Urjit Patel appointed AIIB Vice President
- Former RBI governor Urjit Patel has been appointed as the Vice President of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
- His tenure will be of 3-year.
- He will succeed D J Pandian, who is in charge of sovereign, non-sovereign lending of AIIB in South Asia, Pacific Islands and South-East Asia
- Multilateral development bank to improve economic and social outcomes in Asia.
- Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Membership: 104 Members
- President: Jin Liqun
- Launched: 2015
2. Jitendra Singh inaugurates India’s first open rock museum in Hyderabad
- Union Minister Jitendra Singh has inaugurated India’s first Open Rock Museum in Hyderabad
- It displays around 35 different types of rocks from different parts of India with ages ranging from 3.3 billion years to around 55 million years of the Earth’s history.
- They also represent the deepest part of the earth, up to 175 kms from the surface of the earth.
- They have been sourced from Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Uttarakhand, Jharkhand, Jammu & Kashmir and others.
3. KVIC launches India’s first ‘Mobile Honey Processing Van’ at Ghaziabad
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has launched India’s first Mobile Honey Processing Van at Village Sirora in Ghaziabad, UP
- It has been designed by KVIC at its Multi-disciplinary training centre, Panjokehra
- The cost of developing the unit is around Rs 15 lakh
- It can process 300 kg of honey in 8 hours and has a testing laboratory to instantly examine quality of honey
- It is likely to benefit rural areas of UP, Uttarakhand, Haryana, Delhi, Punjab, Rajasthan
4. India participated in US-led six nations Exercise Sea Dragon 22
- Six Indo-Pacific nations participated in multinational exercise Sea Dragon 22 which began at Andersen Air Force Base in Guam in Western Pacific
- Participating members are Quad nations (United States, Australia, India and Japan), Canada and South Korea
- It includes more than 270 hours of in-flight training, classroom sessions for pilots, flight officers
- Sea Dragon: US led multi-national exercise that focuses on anti-submarine warfare (ASW) training in Indo-Pacific region
5. NSO projects Indian economy to grow 9.2% in FY22
- National Statistical Office (NSO) has estimated India’s GDP to grow at 9.2% in the current fiscal, 2021-22 in its first advance estimates
- NSO also estimated GDP for 2020-21 fiscal at a contraction of 7.3%
- Real GDP in 2021-22 is estimated at Rs. 147.54 lakh crore against provisional estimate of GDP for 2020-21 at Rs 135.13 lakh crore
- Nominal GDP for 2021-22 is estimated at Rs. 232.15 lakh crore, against Provisional Estimate of GDP for 2020-21 at Rs 197.46 lakh crore
Books & Authors
6. Book titled ‘Mamata: Beyond 2021’ to release on January 24, 2022
- Political Journalist, Jayanta Ghosal is coming up with a new book titled as ‘Mamata Beyond 2021’, based on West Bengal CM and Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee
- It will be released on January 24, 2022.
- It has been translated by Arunava Sinha, fiction, non-fiction translator
- It will be published by HarperCollins India
- It narrates how Mamata worked tirelessly for the state’s poor and disadvantaged and was successfully able to portray herself as ‘daughter of Bengal’
Science & Technology
7. NASA successfully completes deployment of James Webb Space Telescope
- NASA has successfully completed deployment of 21-foot, gold-coated primary mirror panel of James Webb Space Telescope (JWST)
- JWST was launched on December 25, 2021, in an Ariane 5 rocket from French Guiana
- The mission will explore every phase of cosmic history, ranging from within our solar system to most distant observable galaxies
- JWST is developed by NASA in collaboration with European Space Agency (ESA) and Canadian Space Agency (CSA)
8. World No.1 Ash Barty wins Adelaide International
- World No.1 tennis player, Ash Barty won Adelaide International by defeating world No. 14 Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan by 6-3, 6-2 in Women's Singles final at Cannebara.
- This was Barty’s 14th career singles title and second in Adelaide.
- He defeated 2020 Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin and 2020 French Open winner Iga Swiatek of Poland en route to the title in Adelaide, without dropping a set or a service game against Rybakina, Kenin or Swiatek.
Banking & Finance
9. SBI General Insurance launches awareness campaign on tax saving
- SBI General Insurance has launched an awareness campaign titled as #BahaneChhodoTaxBachao to increase awareness on how people can save tax by buying health insurance.
- It will also underline other benefits of opting for health insurance.
- It consists of videos in a Vox Pop format featuring anchor Rudraksh Singh, travelling across Mumbai, Bengaluru, Delhi, Kolkata and asking people to offer excuses for not opting health insurance
- MD and CEO of SBI Insurance: PC Kandpal.
Books & Authors
10. Gandhi’s Assassin: The Making of Nathuram Godse and His Idea of India book
- Delhi-based journalist Dhirendra K. Jha has released a new book titled as ‘Gandhi’s Assassin: The Making of Nathuram Godse and His Idea of India’.
- The book has been published under Vintage Books publication.
- It narrates Godse’s relationship with organizations that influenced his world view and the gradual hardening of his resolve, and fateful decisions that eventually led to Mahatma Gandhi’s assassination.
11. Pravasi Bharatiya Divas: 9th January
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD)/(Non-Resident Indian Day) is observed every year in India on 9th January to mark the favors and contributions made by Non Resident Indians towards the welfare and development of the nation
- India is celebrating its 17th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas in 2022.
- As a part of the celebration, Ministry of External Affairs will address a virtual youth PBD conference on the theme ‘the role of the Indian diaspora.’